1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Made-in-India cars crash tested - Swift & Datsun Go gets ZERO star

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Herbie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I want to understand one thing, the Datsun GO and Swift have been reviewed here and it has been criticized for not being able to meet the NCAP. What about the Etois twins. Is the test on these not performed because if was manufactured for a country for India and not exported? I believe that it will be worse than GO.

Etios is worst than a tin. The only saving grace in that car is the engine, otherwise its just a plastic can.
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I don’t understand German, but the result is hardly surprising.

Btw, what sorts of reforms can be done ? Ensure all cars weigh equally ? Most of the media personals are technically challenged. We cannot expect some XYZ person who is qualified in public relations/Mass Communication's etc to be an expert to deduce the lengthy pages of test result obtained by qualified professionals. It happened in news prints and now its happening in every online blogs and in forums.

But the what they deduced is right. Of course the Q7 would fare better in head on collision with a smaller/lighter vehicle, but would fare worse when hits a stationery object as done in the test. That why it has got 4 stars if am right.

If the same test is carried out with a Indian Made lorry and the Q7, the Lorry would fare better. Its physics after all, KE doubles if mass doubles. I remember reading an article somewhere which said 4x4 were safer and they were advocating public to buy them. If they only see the result between the lorry and 4X4, they would start advocating the public to drive a lorry .
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 10, 2014 ---
    Etios atleast has Dual airbags even in the base variant. But how far it fares in a crash test is to be seen.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    No obviously cars cannot 'weigh equally'. What gives that impression? Reforms in the ways ratings are given. You see what you said in latter half is exactly my point. Esp. the bit that laws of physics apply, that is a given and undeniable. So then how does one choose the car based on crash-worthiness. The way the data is presented or perhaps supposed to be interpreted needs further information or education especially for the masses, for whom the rating system is meant apart from government rules and regulations. That is why I said "perhaps needs reforms" given that there is this blind spot or lacunae as far as ratings are concerned. Ofcourse there are experts who do this also for a living. That is why reforms for better transparency and more accurate data representation perhaps. Perhaps the experts could figure out a better (much more accurate) way to give better idea to the end-user. I believe these things evolve therefore this remark about scope of improvement.
  4. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Just read an article in NDTV, the corresponding ministry has taken a note and have asked the tests to be performed at 56 km/h and ratings would be given accordingly. But the SIAM is still ridiculous, they wanted the test to be performed at 24 km/h, do not know what use is that test for and what SIAM is trying to achieve.
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Its entirely law of physics and the ratings what they do is quiet correct according to methods of measurement. In any method, the standard of measurement must be same across and here its indeed standard in the NCAP testing method. Ofcourse, given the availability of fund, each car can be tested in multiple scenarios or more cars in Market like India can be tested and results shared to us. May be this can be done abroad, but considering India, I would be happy if these guys first atleast agree for a crash test similar to NCAP.

Krish, we do not have a testing facility operational in India AFAIK. There is no crash test done here. SIAM is an Organization headed or herded by Manufacturing companies. SIAM will only support manufacturers. Its just a body representing all the Auto Manufacturers and that is why they are making such ridiculous and idiotic comments to save their backs and not caring a damn about the passengers. I think they are still thinking that they are manufacturing bullock carts and hence each riding @12 kmph colliding head on will contribute to 24Kmph relative velocity. Anyways, its going to be the Bull's head in such a head on collision. So who gives a bull about it from SIAM.

The more and more I think about such idiocratic replies from SIAM and the rules set in India, I am just going in to a Deep depression. On the other side, I am happy that I have fiat now and had Elantra which was also a 5 Star rated car in Crash test.

Only grouse is the Alto which I am still having it for City runs and for ease of parking.
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A very timely article from ACI--http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/ncap-crash-tests-all-you-need-to-know-391577.aspx

Liked this part--"the ratings from the Global NCAP should be paid heed to. It is an important indication of how safe a car truly is in case it is involved in a crash – different configurations while crash-testing broadly cover a variety of real-life crashes, and cannot be taken lightly. It is always wise to buy oneself a car that passed these tests with decent scores, than one which didn’t score at all. However, remember, that European cars will have a slight advantage, as they are built to higher standards to pass similar and more difficult tests in the first place."

Will love to see a change(whatever minor it may be) this GNCAP result can bring to the mindset of the Indian car buying people.
  7. Varun Krishna

Varun Krishna Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Currently ARAI conducts only 1 crash test as a mandate. That is Full Frontal crash test against a rigid barrier at 40 Kmph, which the Nanos and altos would have passed with minimum injuries to the occupants (dummies). But in real world, especially in India we mostly come across high speed offset crashes.
  8. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    speed of these crash test should be 80 kmph as is the speed limit of our highways.
    If there is a initiative from insurance companies that they will not insure a car which scored less than 5 stars in NCAP tests, this will be a good thing in first place.
    Govt should amend the car insurance law accordingly.