1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Made-in-India cars crash tested - Swift & Datsun Go gets ZERO star

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Herbie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It's high time FIAT should cash on to it's strongest positive-----strong build.FIAT should start aggressive campaign to highlight the strong build & safety of their cars.

FIAT should immediately crash test INDIA made PUNTO & LINEA under GNCAP & highlight the safety of their cars in advts.
    But I highly doubt the lazy & infamous marketing team of FIAT would do anything.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 6, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 6, 2014 ---
    Here is the latest,the global safety watchdog has slapped NISSAN---

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/withdraw-datsun-go-from-india-says-global-safety-watchdog-to-nissan-ceo-616996?utm_source=ndtv&utm_medium=top-stories-widget&utm_campaign=story-3-http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/withdraw-datsun-go-from-india-says-global-safety-watchdog-to-nissan-ceo-616996&pfrom=home-lateststories
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

I think GNCAP is out of line here. They should request a withdrawal on all cars with similar results, why only Go? Perhaps this Mosley guy has an axe to pick with Mr Ghosn.
  3. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That's a good thing. If I am right, its only after these crash tests, VW made airbags available by default even in the base variant. Let it be a start and let GNCAP criticize about all such cars which are not safe even if its way out of line. After all, even a single life if saved is a great accomplishment. Cars can be build, lives unfortunately cannot be.

The real shame is this. The reply from Nissan clearly points at what is lacking.
    There is no regulation in India for crash test safety:(. Nissan is ready provided if the Government decided on Minimum acceptance standards for safety points
  4. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    zenwalker likes this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Why not about the same suggestion on swift and other tin cans too? Why only DAT sun? I am sure even the new alto, a star, celerio, i10, Etios etc. Needs makeover
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

Exactly my point. Datsun is not the only culprit, but this GNCAP' s wise-alec move is making it look like one. Why doesnt he write letters to Cyrus Mistry, RC Bhargava/Osamu Suzuki, Hyundai's who-ever and indeed the CEOs of all Indian cars which have been tested and found inadequate. Or is there some automotive politics related to regulatory business on the international scene.
    On a side note, I am extremely keen to see Linea, Punto Evo and Avventura results.
    My hunch (and I usually have a good one) is that the result will be marginal without airbags, but very good with airbags. I am talking frontal impact only.
    zenwalker likes this.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Perhaps we all could do a bit of favor towards FIAT in requesting NCAP guys to do take up FIAT cars. Their website has a contact form. All of us can make use of it ;)
  8. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    God, it just makes my blood boil:arghh::mad::banghead:. Especially the comment from SIAM and Vishnu Mathur taking sides with a manufacturer and commenting "Every country has its own safety requirements. Our cars are meeting safety norms set by the government"

Given that position, you just cannot advocate safety in Europe and not take responsibility for a car designed by his company. It is this dual standard which has been criticized and I too agree with it because, as a leader, we need to lead my example.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 7, 2014 ---
    Fiat has already received 5 start rating for the top end model. I remember reading is some testing site long back. Even if it tested, the basic models in fiat doesn't come with Airbags right ?

Edit: Just couldn't find the links. May be I was wrong :-(
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    That was in 2005. But things have changed and years have rolled by. Its best to do it again on the Indian version. There is no official statements given by FIAT that the Euro and Indian versions are same in every way AFAIK (Correct me if i am wrong).

I am a bit optimistic on the basic version of Punto or Linea subjected to this testing would not get a 0 rating, atleast a 1 would be great if not any better :D
  10. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, you are right, but I don't think anything much has changed in those years. Except for the side curtain airbag, everything is the same for certain models. Linea and Punto were Global design and given Fiats laziness, there wouldn't be much changes and these cars were indeed launched years later after the global launch. Call me optimistic..:D.

But I agree its time to test all the three models ie. including avventura. Fiat shell would be rated as the most stable followed by Polo.
    It will at least create a positive stir. People have started to change and looking for ABS, EBD, Airbags at least for bragging rights with friends.

Ha, here are the links.

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ncap/ncap_car_results.jsp?make=Fiat&model=Grande Punto&year=2005&publicationDate=2005-09-01

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_punto_2005/238.aspx
    zenwalker likes this.