1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Made-in-India cars crash tested - Swift & Datsun Go gets ZERO star

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Herbie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The crash test ones are not the only 'dummies' in the great Indian car baazar! ;-)

It is just shocking how poorly engineered for safety and otherwise so many of the market bestsellers are. Without too much exaggeration: pigs with lipstick on! And premium priced at that! How can a market full of self-consciously chaaloo, vfm-seeking consumers be getting it so wrong, en masse?!

Methinks this is a grossly malfunctioning market: state/regulators' interventions are not just desirable, they are necessary. But SIAM and the auto components lobby is one of the strongest around, so meaningful action is very unlikely.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    They probably won't, because the public care two hoots about it. All they want is re-sale value and mileage.

However Fiat instead of providing Alloys and Meatier tires across all variants on Avventura they could've provided safety features. I watched the show and some official NCAP stated that cost of Airbags shouldn't be more than $100, if that's the cost then this is no escape even for Fiat. Now that VW Polo and Toyota Etios comes with ABS and Airbags standard more manufacturers adopting it will only put pressure on Maruti. Kudos to VW & Toyota on leading the pack, although it came out only after the initial crash tests.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

That happens only when the seat belt has pre-tensioners. Next time around, check for any Emotion trim Punto at the body-shop. If the airbags have deployed, the seatbelts stay put at whatever position they were very firmly. In the car I checked, the driver's side was stuck at the position where the driver was belted in and the passenger seat was empty, so it was stuck at the usual position itself. Usually, variants which have airbags come with pre-tensioners, across manufacturers.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Looks like Fiat marketing team took a notice on this, check this latest FB post. However they don't even provide safety options on Avventura Petrol - such a shame!

Fiat.png
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    What concerns me more than the absence of airbags and/or ABS etc, and even crumple zone design and chassis member strength etc is: cars that just do not have the handling, braking and steering abilities to make higher speeds and emergency manoeuvers RELATIVELY safe/predictable.

I feel cars like almost all the East Asian ones that dominate our market are unsafe not only when there actually is a crash but, because of a deficit of these basic automotive values, are likelier (all else being equal) to be in/cause a crash in the first place, at least at higher speeds.

The Swift, for example, has awfully feeble brakes and thin tyres. The City and Verna are, to my mind, downright dangerous cars when the unforeseen happens at higher speeds.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  7. Drive4freedom

Drive4freedom Novizio

Bangalore
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
  9. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    thank god i didnt listen to my friends while buying, otherwise i would have ended up buying these tin cans.
    sandipan_r15 and punto_emotion like this.
  10. gopscreative

gopscreative Amatore

Chicago
    Well, I was going through the news and found this article.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/now-maruti-swift-datsun-go-fail-ncap-crash-tests-688031

So, with all thin sheet metal these japs use to get those fantastic mileage numbers and huge sales numbers,Isn't it the right time for FIAT to show how the tank like build matters and defend the low mileage numbers, and talk about FIAT which is known for craftsmanship of building rock solid cars. It will create a better awareness and in turn see the sales charts ringing!!

Although their products still lack Airbags and ABS on base versions, ABS+airbags doesn't matter much when the structural build itself is WEAK!!Its time to make the news, don't you think guys?
    sandipan_r15 and dadasaheb like this.