1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Made-in-India cars crash tested - Swift & Datsun Go gets ZERO star

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Herbie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    To a question on the safety of the Datsun GO, the response of the Datsun India head was very poor as if taking India to be a granted. He said that the cars were made for local conditions. Was he trying to imply that Indian customers will get what they pay for or this is what you asked (in terms of FE, price ..etc) for ?. I wonder what he implied by local conditions. Is an accident at 70kmph any different when it happens locally and globally?
    It was Nissans fierce determination to get at the bottom end of the Indian car market that they took lessons from the Chief of Mileage and Tin Can university- Maruti Suzuki, who keep reducing the weight of the components to improve profits. I remember during the reign of Mr.Baskarruddu as the CEO of Maruti, all vendors went scrambling to reduce the weight of the components by 5%, a target given to them. End of the day, these things that travel at speed require a certain self weight to remain planted on the road and resist impacts. Imagine ICF doing that to trains coaches.

Last months Autocar carried an interview with one of the chief engineers of FIAT who is working on the Punto and their target was to knock off 70- 90 Kgs by re-engineering. It looks like they have tried every trick that they know to improve FE of the Punto but have decided that this is the only way FE can be improved. They are quite confident of knocking off 70 kg minimum. I hope that they give it another thought or do it without failing the NCAP. For those who want their cars to be heavy, the EVO would be the last ones with the current weight.

Abdul
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Sad to see even FIAT falling for the same trap of reducing the weight but i hope they integral strength overall is as strong as before.
  3. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    But why on Earth these guys haven't tired the Punto for this test.
  4. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If I recollect correctly, Fiat is planning all new Punto worldwide next year or may be early 2016. They are planning to knock off up to 100 kgs. weight in all new Punto worldwide not only for India market. They have also committed that this will be done without compromising the structural integrity of the vehicle.
    jumu likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If the chances of getting totaled at higher speeds are increased multi-fold due to some critical changes in metallurgy or design that could be a bad thing, though not always necessarily for the passengers. Passenger safety is a lot on the crumple zones and other design aspects of the car. Also lots of simulations and re-modellings are done and available these days to ensure maximum passenger safety. If it is designed in Europe with generally higher standards for most Automotive things, chances are they could pull off this weight reduction trick without too much to loose in the bargain. What should also not be affected is the ride quality and handling etc. due to overall weight reductions.
    It would be great to see if ABS at-least could be made standard on most cars, right from entry level. Though equally important are the airbags.
  6. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Where has Fiat confirmed that they are reducing weight by not bothering about the integral strength. The new generation Punto and Linea replacements would most probably be based on the Brazilian versions. The weight may reduce but keeping the structural integrity intact.

Hope Fiat does not fall for the cheap ways of Maruti, Honda and Toyota.
    GirishRaghu and prabhjot like this.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @nkrishnap
    That was the comment based on the comments made above mine and now later on too :)
    The last line of yours is what i meant.
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Haldirams has entered a wholesale contract with Maruti to make tin boxes. Haldiram spokesperson confirmed the move and stated that this will increase the tin box resale value since Maruti badge will also be added into it.

All hail tin boxes!
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Have dropped a request to Global NCAP for including FIAT cars at the earliest. Fingers crossed ;)