1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Made-in-India cars crash tested - Swift & Datsun Go gets ZERO star

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Herbie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Experts, please come and enrich this discussion with your valuable inputs. I start this discussion with the latest GLOBAL NCAP results carried out in India for two made in India cars--Maruti Suzuki Swift & Datsun Go. Both these cars scored ZERO STAR (structural rigidity) in the frontal 64 kmph collision tests.

s1.jpg

High points

- The popular Maruti Suzuki Swift and the Datsun Go have failed the latest round of Indian crash tests carried out by Global NCAP.

- The Swift has received a zero star rating in the 64km/h frontal collision test. Two variants of the car were tested - one exported by Maruti to Latin America and another which sells as the base variant here in India.

- The crash analysis showed the crash-test-dummies having sustained near-fatal injuries, more so in the case of the driver. The car's structural integrity was also deemed as unstable. And this is a key point, given the made-in-Europe Swift has a much sturdier structure and had achieved a 5-Star crash certification from Euro-NCAP.

- The Latin American export Swift got a 3-Star rating, chiefly due to the presence of airbags/ABS, which meant fewer injuries to the crash-test-dummies. But structurally that car performed similarly to the other Swift.

- Last year Global NCAP had carried out the first round of India tests, where the Tata Nano, Hyundai i10, Maruti Alto800, Ford Figo and VW Polo had been crashed. None of the cars had passed due to a lack of airbags as standard, with the smaller cars faring poorly on build quality too.

- All manufacturers whose cars are crash tested are always informed and invited to witness the test. Maruti did not offer any comment/statement.

s2.jpg

Source - http://auto.ndtv.com/news/now-maruti-swift-datsun-go-fail-ncap-crash-tests-688031
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Euro Swift has got 5 star rating where as the Indian version gets Zero. I really don't know whom to blame. Manufacturer, Government or the People who buy the car? It's high time for the Indian Government to setup stringent safety standards.

People want high mileage cars and manufacturers want to capitalize the opportunity keeping aside the safety aspects. Yesterday I read the below article on Maruti and today I see this crash test results.

"Fuel efficiency is always on the top of our mind. For any model upgrade, we always try to improve it," Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) Executive Director, Engineering, C V Raman told PTI.

He said engineers at MSI and parent Suzuki Motor Corporation have been working in tandem to enhance the fuel efficiency of models like Swift and AltoK10.

"Various steps like increasing thermal efficiency, reduction of frictional loss and usage of low viscosity engine oil have been taken up to improve mileage," Raman said, adding the fuel efficiency had been achieved by working on engines alone and not through aerodynamics.

Source - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...trengthen-leadership/articleshow/45010784.cms
    vamshi_g86 likes this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Ultimately its we people who are at fault. MS is expert in gauging Indian mind set and hence give people 'what they want'. Since decades they have stuck to 'kitna deti hain' mileage marketing philosophy and surprisingly Indian customers also seems to be happy with it. When things are going well, why will any manufacturer think of providing more value for money products. Any business men would say "I provide what people want" and that's how the tradition has been. Though the mind set is slowly changing from buyers perspective, but still its a long way to go.
  4. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Rightly said... Manufacturer will only do what people demand... tagline will be "Take Mileage and May God will be with you all the time :p "
  5. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Its a herd mentality..."kitna deti hain" which has become a kind of mantra that most car buyers in India sing whenever they are out for car purchase. Recently had been to Maruti dealer for TD of CIAZ (just out of curiosity, no intentions of moving away from Linea :)). Sales person was constantly focusing on 2 things, excellent FE and second was Suzuki Total Effective Control Technology (STECT) which boasts of using High Tensile Steel sheets for certain zones of car which need rigidity. Unfortunately when I tried lifting Bonnet & Boot lid, I found them to be wafer thin..even Swift has better build than what CIAZ has. Asked Sales person on what safety car offers in case of rear ending...no answer "Lambi Khamoshi..." coz the moment you ask about frontal impact, immediate response "Airbags hain na", if this becomes new mantra that having airbags is sufficient enough and we can ignore structural rigidity of the vehicle then god save our country...I would equally blame car buyers (along with car manufacturers) for neglected safety aspect that is prevalent in our car market coz supply is based on what demand is from market which unfortunately is more on FE and not on safety :(.
  6. Drive4freedom

Drive4freedom Novizio

Bangalore
    Here are the videos
    Maruthi suzuki swift

Datsun Go
  7. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Those who bought the Swift, what do they do now after reading this? Structurally unstable: should give them sleepless nights.
    Glad I am driving the slower 1.3 diesel! touchwood
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I dont understand why the seat belts are elongating and dragging the body towards the steering on impact. Normally, when you tug at it quickly, it stops. Can someone clarify is this how seat belts will behave on impact?

Abdul
  9. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am not sure Am right or wrong? On impact seat belt will hold you in drag but it also push back you towards seat once the impact has been transferred. After that seat also tries to push you back towards the front this time the drag is less hence your body moves towards the steering. This happens in vary rapid speed hence what we see is the last reaction of the body in side car shell.
  10. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    The only well built product that Maruti had as per me was SX4, which is discontinued as well!!

Glad that we are getting these tests done atleast now. Hope they pick up other India specific models as well and do this test so that we know where does our automobile industry stand when it comes to safety.