1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Made-in-India cars crash tested - Swift & Datsun Go gets ZERO star

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Herbie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Grande Punto 1.4
    :| VIDEO LINK :

Nearly 140,000 people die on Indian roads every year, in nearly five lakh accidents. That's the worst road safety record in the world. And these are just the official figures, with some estimates claiming the real numbers to be twice as high. India is currently the world's 6th largest car market, and is expected to cross Germany to become the 4th largest by 2020.

In such a scenario, it is staggering to think India is the only country in the global top ten car markets which does not have a comprehensive and complete car safety regulation or testing programme. Global NCAP (New Car Assessment Programme) is a car safety programme which evaluates new automobile designs for performance against various safety threats. Last year Global NCAP decided to carry out a test on some of India's best selling cars, in partnership with India's Institute of Road Traffic Education (IRTE). The idea was to assess the safety levels of some of the country's most popular small cars.

Having been party to the process, and indeed consulted on which cars the test must include, I think the final list provides a good representation of a large chunk of the Indian car market. The cars that were chosen were the Tata Nano, Maruti Suzuki Alto 800, Hyundai i10, Ford Figo and Volkswagen Polo. All cars had to be made-in-India models only, and the most basic or entry-level version available in the market was selected for testing. This meant none of them had airbags as standard - one of the most basic prerequisites globally to pass a safety test.

There were two tests carried out on identical cars of the same make - meaning two of each car were procured by Global NCAP from Indian showrooms, and shipped to Landsberg, Germany for the tests. The United Nations Regulation 94 - a crash test carried out at 56 kmph, and the Latin NCAP 2013 assessment protocol, where the car is crashed at 64 kmph. All the manufacturers involved, as well as the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) were informed of these tests, before they were held. Representatives from each manufacturer were also invites to witness the test, and the results are being shared with them all too.

Of the five cars, only the Figo and Polo showed good structural rigidity and therefore a safer cabin, while the smaller cars performed rather poorly. What is rather surprising to me is that a car like the Hyundai i10 - which is only made in India for global markets, also did badly. The made-in-India for export to Europe i10 has a good rating in its Euro NCAP test for instance, which begs the question - are the cars for Indian buyers made differently?

While I urge you to watch our exclusive video to really understand how the test results are to be interpreted, and indeed to see the crash test visuals too - the larger point is this: Should India have its own NCAP? The logical answer is yes. But who should set this up? Should it be a foreign body, the government or the industry itself? I think the best solution is to have a programme that is jointly set up by all three. This ensures complete transparency, global standards and also a sure rise in safety benchmarks across segments. The consumer will certainly benefit from this, and hopefully this would also result in fewer fatalities. But in the meanwhile, what I hope this maiden test does for the market - is simply increase awareness. It's really only when the consumer asks for safer, stronger cars - that the industry will deliver. It is the excuse the manufacturers often offer, when questioned on why they don't offer greater safety equipment - the consumer isn't asking for it. Well, I believe it is now high time that we did.

SOURCE: Made-in-India cars crash tested for the first time Video: NDTV.com

India ranks sixth largest in the world for the production and sale of passenger cars and could become the world’s third largest market by 2020. The export share of the country’s passenger car production has risen over the last ten years from 10% to 21% and it is emerging as an important global hub for small car production.

Unlike most other major car producing nations, India does not yet require its vehicles to meet the United Nation’s minimum crash test standards – UN Reg. 94 for occupant protection in frontal collision and Reg. 95 for occupant protection in lateral collision – and does not have a New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP) that can provide consumers with independent reports on vehicles’ crash safety.

The UN’s Decade of Action for Road Safety recommends governments apply minimum crash standards and create NCAPs. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon says: “New car assessment programmes (NCAPs) in a number of countries and regions have proved to be very effective in creating a market that encourages consumers to choose vehicles based on their safety ratings.”

Of the 1.24 million people who lose their lives each year on the world’s roads, more than one in ten is an Indian. Annually India suffers around 140,000 road traffic fatalities, accounting for 11.3% of the total.

Rohit Baluja, President of India’s Institute of Road Traffic Education (IRTE) said: “Consumers today are disillusioned with all the other offers made by automobile dealers to sell cars. Safety, which should be the most important aspect, is hardly emphasized as a factor for consideration. This will be the first time that independent information on safety based upon consumer crash tests will be available for India. Some of the results may shock Indian consumers, but when people go to buy a vehicle they should be informed of what they are buying: whether the car meets basic safety standards and its crash protection rating.”

SOURCE : globalncap
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    8 people like this.
  2. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    Suprised that Polo was there, but no punto. Though the results are not surprising.
  3. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

This is Just @56 KPMH
    Imagine what would happen @100 and above, but these morons never understands and race with high end machines
    God bless them
    1 person likes this.
  4. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Good Source of information Herbie..

Yes Indian cars are different than the global counter parts most of the times. Just Compare i10 Europe and i10 India. You will see big difference in features as well as its structural solidity. Indian cars are only design keeping "kitna Deti Hai?" attitude :A.

I would prefer this test should be conducted with 70 KM/H speed.

I always believe that Primary safety features for any cars are their break system, Structural Design and its solidity, Cramping Zones and seat belts. ABS and Airbags are Secondary safety add-nos to make passenger more safe.

Most of the Indian cars fails on their Primary safety features.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    But why Punto is not tested for this test? Now Fiat india has to go for the ncap test here & should advertise this test everywhere.

This is the right time for Fiat india to "Make the move...." :)
    3 people like this.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

If you read through the rules of this test, I am sure the Punto too wouldn't fare any better than Polo.
    But I am surprised why Swift and i20 were not included, but Polo was included, when they state the the selection was made on numbers sold.
    2 people like this.
  7. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Agree with royj. If they check the base variant of Punto, with the rules in place, it's doubtful if it is going to get anything above 2 stars.

Instead test for Emotion variant and showcase the results in all press and media and make it a strong point for the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

The test is mainly for the cage, without the basic safety features only figo and polo could able to absorbs the impact to an extent.
    If we carry out the same test on punto it may not pass with flying colors but surely will get many green zones on the body better than figo and polo.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

The Global manufacturers are giving a lesser spec for the materials in India to cut costs. This was evident in the difference with the i10 export and local. The export passed while the local failed .Fiat might have done just that when they reduced the weight in 2010. We dont know and could be wrong but I have a feeling. With these kind of tampering , they still advertise that these cars have passed the NCAP tests in europe, which is misleading. With these tests being done on Indian vehicles, Iam sure the manufacturers will pull up their pants before the customers pull it down. Good for India. No more cheating and taking for granted

1 person likes this.
  10. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Linea T-Jet
    I heard that Linea has never gone through NCAP !!!. Is that true, since it is already selling in Europe ?