1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Lower arm ball joint fix tried...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Aug 16, 2015.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    There is some kat kat noise in my Linea on steering on the right... Potholes... thought as much the lower arm ball joint is the culprit.It was confirmed by Fiat SA. Cleant with wd 40 and filled some greese in to it with syringe and the noise is gone for time being.. I dont knw whther this will extend the life of the ball joint. Any body has tried this... reply... suggest.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I have not tried re-greasing ball joint, I just replace the ball joint costs around 350/- for single piece. How did you re-grease it could not find any hole in ball joint for same.
    Today I replaced bush of left side arm for 600 including labor for press fitting and removal of bush from arm. Removed and put arm back in car myself.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I used a syringe to push grease inside the boot of the balljoint after cleaning inside with wd 40.

Am thinkin of changin the full lower arm instead of balljoint since even the bushes must have finished their life as have done 92000kms with original Lower arms.
    Here in Mumbai one ball joint cost 400 and bushes should be another 400 per lower arm plus pressing charges thus total 2200 approx including labour of Rs 1000 per lower arm...but quality remain question mark.The fiat mech who I now personally told me tht the OEM ball joints gives alingment issues.. thus tire wear.
    The full lower arm cost 2090..labour 500 ....total 2600 with awsome proven quality... So make sense replacing full arm.

Any suggestions...
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Go ahead with new arm if bushes too need replacement.
  5. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The OEM arms bushes what we are getting are no good and this is a fact. My car has clocked 50K in 15 months and the bushes are not gone due to wear but they have weathered out. The rubber has become brittle and it has got cracks all over. It is not even covered in warranty as it has warranty of 2 yrs or 40K. Had a very very heated debate with the FCA rep in person about the failing part and extreme poor quality and got a shock of my life answer."why are you driving so much in a year the car is not meant for that".I will not rest this as it is but will surely prove that the rubber is below standards and has very high amount of filler and that too a cheaper one.
    When argued that what is warranty for he said read the manual. I said I did'nt had the manual before I purchased the vehicle and they said its is 3 + 2 years.
    Crux is that FIAT is probably using same vendors those of TATA and is not up to the mark in its local made components and will never will be because it lacks has the will
    sdp1975, whitepunto76 and vIjAy_kHaSa like this.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Localization have taken toll on quality, original arm ball joint and bushes in my car (2009) were from TRW and very good quality.
    Now ball joint is made in India by QH Talbros(good quality) and bushes too are made in India by AMP but they are shit quality got the whole arm replaced on 29 Nov last year but bush got cracked in just 9 months and 20k kms.
    varin11 and KKAUL like this.
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think Shit quality is not the right word to describe it but we need more degenerated word for it.I know what they hava put will not last more than a year i could get it from its appearence.Acyually this is sheer greed of our Indians cheating our own countrymen for the sake of making profit for foreign companies.Hope we realize this fact
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 18, 2015 ---
    If you have faced this problem more often than have you been able to locate a good source for bushing or arm.
    I haven'nt coz I never expected the failure too premature but I will start the search now.If you have already done please share
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I have been looking for PU bushes for our cars found two options, Strongflex PU bush is around 20 GBP for single piece and Powerflex which is around 75 GBP for single piece.
    Cost is a big concern and not available in India too
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry little nix up... what I wanted to mean in my original post was that OEM lower arm is of good quality since the original one lasted me for 92000 kms...

.......but am sad to hear frm u guus tht fiat has compromised on the quality.

Would it be wise to go for full Lower arm incase bushes still have some life left.... since quality is the only issue am goin for Fiat SC products.
  10. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fiat arms bushing sucks

@vIjAy_kHaSa
    If I arrange for the PU bushing and ball joints with re fitment and proper alignment would you be interested. Arms you have to install on your own to your car.If interested what will be your budget per arm (no profit no loss)
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 18, 2015 ---
    If I get a positive answer than I will study the feasability