1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Low mileage...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by UnniMJD, Apr 13, 2016.

1. UnniMJD

UnniMJD Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi Team,

I bought my Punto Evo Emotion MJD in January this year, so far I'm satisfied with the performance of the car in all aspects, except the mileage. Initially it was 14 km p/l on highway. Then FIAT SA told me it will increase once it crosses 5K km, but after completing 5k km it was around 15 kmpl. I had done the first service recently there also they said it is normal and will increase gradually, but one of my colleague told me for his Punto ( Active ) getting 20kmpl initially and it got improved to 24 kmpl later. Now my Punto is closed to 7000 km but still hovering around 16 kmpl. Is it normal or needs to be checked ..? Pls advice.
  2. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    16 KMPL on highway is less even for this much running. My heavier Linea MJD Emotion gives around 19 - 23 KMPL regularly on highway with AC.

You can do one test. Select a road approximately 15-20 KMs stretch on highway and take your car for run when the traffic is minimum. Set the trip meter to Zero. Keep the speed steady around 50 - 60 KMPH in the 5th gear and check the mileage. You can also measure the mileage by Full Tank method to be absolutely sure.

Do this test twice, with and without AC and see the difference. If the mileage is still around 16 KMPL mark, then show to FASS.
  3. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Dear friend, every new vehicle will take some time to set. Yes its completely true, once you cross 5k mark gradually the mileage should improve but even after crossing if mileage has not improved then check your driving style. What is the speed you are maintaining in highways? Are you doing rapid acceleration/deceleration? Things like that. Do some changes in your driving style and check whether there would be any changes in figure.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. UnniMJD

UnniMJD Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks Kishore.. I'm not a seasoned driver, but I maintain a speed around 90 km/hr, with no sudden acceleration / deceleration. My only doubt was in my first long trip.. my friend drove my Punto and had touched around 130 on speedo once. It was before Odo reaching 500Km. Was that a mistake which I did unintentionally :( ..? Anyway I'm waiting for some more time to get the same improved ... :)
    kishorekrs likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @UnniMJD : Bro when I bought my 90 HP a year ago (ODO @ 600-700 kms), I also had pushed her to 130-140 in Pune-Mumbai Expressway, so there is no harm. Can you tell us, at what RPMs you operate your Punto? Lugging the engine can also lead to low FE. In any case, dont worry on the FE, give it more time, it would take care as the other MJDs do :)
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. UnniMJD

UnniMJD Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks Vinit.. Let me do this test and check.. will update soon.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 13, 2016 ---
    @ Turbothinghy : i always operate around 2000 RPMs.. and maintain below 2500 at third gear, may be 2-3 occasions to overtake long trucks I have reached near to 3000 @ third gear.
  7. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    That's completely fine @UnniMJD crossing the mark coz I too had touched 150 kmph on NICE road to know capabilities & its road behavior at high speeds. It wont harm as such. I hope you aren't doing it but still a suggestion to not try to red line rpms at each gears. This can gulp a lot of fuel resulting in low figures.
  8. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    It does depend on your driving style. Use the Trip B to calculate your mileage.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  9. Sachin patel

Sachin patel Amatore

Vadodara
    Vadodara
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Don't worry it's because of your driving style.... If you want to drive on 130 go till 140 and slowly go for 130 it will still give more than 18kmpl and even for normal drive increase speed slowly.
  10. Rama

Rama Amatore

Delhi
    Delhi
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Don't worry about mileage. In my case it was about 10.3kmpl till 2k kms. Gradually it improved to 13kmpl. During that period, we went to mathura from delhi and mileage was about 27kmpl (avg speed 80kmph).

At the moment, in city its about 15kmpl (avg speed 17-18kmph)

Just give some time, MJD is one of the best engines.