1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Low Mileage - Punto Dynamic MJD 1.3

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by harilalmn, Nov 15, 2013.

1. harilalmn

Dear experts,
    I am really worried about the mileage I get on my Punto MJD 1.3. I had reset the trip meter last time I fueled it and it shows Average consumption as 8.8 to 9.0 km/liter..!!!! Such a low mileage in city...! I did not go to the dealer yet. Thought of taking some advices from the experts here before approaching them.

Here is the detailed scenario.

I am driving my car everyday to my office from the date I got it delivered (One month and 5 days since delivery). For it is a new vehicle, I have been thinking that the mileage would better eventually as I drive. But no luck. I am using A/C full time, as it is too dusty where I stay. I am staying near K R Puram (Bangalorians should know) and working at Indiranagar. Driving through Old Madras Road, which is infamous for its traffic density. So most of the time, it is a drive on 2nd and 3rd gears. But, I hope all that should not make such a drastic drop in mileage. Is there anything which is going seriously wrong...?

Please advise...
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

How many kms did you drive after trip meter reset? Drive atleast 30 to 50 kms and check. If it is anywhere between 12 and 15 kmpl you are fine.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Drive little more and try to refuel next with some other reputed bunk.
    Also, I hope you adjusted your trip from l/100 km to km/l. Do post the trip meter reading.
    1 person likes this.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    The best way to make sure everything is alright is to reset the tripmeter and drive on the highway/empty road at 70kmph or so for atleast 2 or 3km.

If the FE is 20 or more then everything is fine. Also hope that you have set readings to km/L and not L/100km as suggested by Ravi. Check settings in My Car settings or post the pic of the FE figures. It should be either 8.x/100km or 8.xkmpl. i hope its the former.
  5. vsivaku

vsivaku Novizio

As stated by paddleshifter, please check the MID settings is set to km/liter. For my Linea MJD, it was set to liters/100 km and i changed after reading manual.
    I hope you are not filling diesel at the petrol pump adjacent to More Mega store, on ORR, as you live in that area. One of my friend had a bad experience where they provided adulterated diesel last month and he almost got his engine stalled on dzire. Had to empty the fuel, decarbonize and change fuel filter to bring the car back to running.
  6. harilalmn

Here is the data

Range : 51 km
    Trip Distance : 344.2 km
    Trip time : 30:39
    Average Speed : 11 km/h
    Average Consumption : 8.9 km/l

I didn't drive on a highway after the last fueling...

Below are the images of the trip meter...

20131115_142100_cr.jpg 20131115_142050_cr.jpg 20131115_142033_cr.jpg 20131115_142014_cr.jpg 20131115_142122_cr.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    You dont worry about the mileage. the average speed is just 11 km/h. you must be moving in 1st and 2nd gear mostly.
    mileage improves with average speed (like 40kmph ~70kmph).
    3 people like this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I agree, 11KMPH means it was in full traffic.
    Take your car to some open road on weekends, and see how much it is giving. I feel its ok.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Since it is a month old car, just give it some time for the engine to open up. If you are highly worried about the mileage, take it on the city outskirts for a good 100-200 kms drive. IMO for a couple of tank fills, dont bother to look at the MID at all.
  10. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Sad to here about this.

You could also use the Instantaneous Consumption Display to adjust your engine rev and thus driving style appropriately. (Note Saftey first, when road is relatively empty!). I have observed that the best mileage (50kmpl instantenous) is usually at 1500 rpm, without depressing the accelerator.

Also 11 kmph average speed the rev is either too low to get good mileage. As suggested by others as well

Here at pune with my new punto initially I was getting 15.7 kmpl, however, after about a month the mileage started to improve and now I am getting 20kmpl:-D.