1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Low Brake Fluid warning - when manuvering over hilly roads

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Narayan, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

I was on a trip to Tirupathi last week, and i observed a strange scenario on my GP. When i went a little fast over haripin bends or those 90degree bends, there was a warning on my MID that said - insufficient Brake fluid do not proceed.

it was normal when i was on plains and it went away after flashing just once. When i checked my brake oil levels, i did not find that low as well. Has anyone experienced this issue? is this something normal and can be ignored since it could have been caised by the brake oil shaking inside the container due to those fast turns ?
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Yes, could be because of the oil shifting within the container. I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

If the brake oil level is fine when the car is stationary, then don't give it a thought. The oil sloshing around must've confused the sensor. :)

4. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Yes even i got the warning on my trip to Mangalore, checked fluid level and it was exactly on MIN level so brought a small can of fluid & topped it a little above MIN below MAX. NO WARNING later
  5. royj

royj Esperto

How old is your Punto?
    I faced this same issue back in 2009 end. Took it to TASS and they replaced Clutch Master Cylinder.
    I was confused and asked the SA why they changed the Clutch Master Cylinder when the error indication was low brake fluid. The SA replied that they are inter connected. Though not fully convinced, I did not bother as the issue never occurred again.
    Did you open the brake fluid container and check the level?
  6. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

2 days back i got the same issue. few week back i saw some oil marks on the driver side floor mat. but i neglected the issue. 2 days back when i parked the car on an incline the warning came up but on the level ground it went off. went to SC and technician checked under the dash near the clutch pdeal area and indeed there was some leake. they replaced some part (sorry i forgot the name) and few top ups and refitting the clutch master cylinder. it was all covered under warrnety with zero bill. So better get it checked at SC.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Even I had faced this issue once when driving through ghat sections in KA-Kerala boader some time back. I did topup the fluid, and issue never appeared again.
    Low brake fluid warning

The brake fluid container has kind of a rectangular shape and the sensors are placed in the left corner. And inside, there multiple small chambers. When you manoeuver turnings at reasonable speeds, fluid is shifted to one side, making the sensors trigger alarm. Also, you might have noticed that the warnings appear only when you take right turns. That's because the sensors are located on the left side of the chamber. I think all you need to do is to topup the brake fluid.