1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Loud Noise in 2nd, 3rd gears. Punto 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ravimathi, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ravimathi

ravimathi Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

My car is Punto 1.3 MJD Dynamic, bought in April 2014 in bangalore. I did both my servicing in Vecto Motors. I did my second service two weeks back and replaced everything mentioned in the manual.
    Serviced detail is here
    http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/red-beauty-owning-experience.13912/#post-841934821.

After servicing I am hearing more engine noise in low speed, particularly when accelerating and the A/C is turned on. I took the vehicle to service station again on last Friday but the service adviser said the noise is normal in all fiat cars.
    I also have brake pads changed in the service and now hearing some sound when applying the brakes. For some reason, service adviser is saying it is normal and need not worry.

ODO Reading 16000 kms.
    Driving pattern: Not rash. 100 to 110 at the max

My question is what could be the reason for the increased sound from engine after the service?
    Just replaced the brake pads. Could that be not fitted properly so that I am getting the sound when applying brake?

I am taking the vehicle to the service station again this friday. WHat are all should be checked to fix or make sure everything is fine.

Thanks,
    Ravi
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There can be noise when you apply the brakes if the brake pads are not fitted properly. See http://www.aa1car.com/library/tr996.htm for information about why brake noise happens and how to fix them. Since you mentioned there was no noise earlier I believe disks were fine when the brake pads were replaced. But you have driven 1300 kms after service. So some new problems can have developed between servicing and now. For example disks may have been scratched by the new pads or disk may have warped because of overheating when you keep the brakes applied in long down slopes in hilly terrain. Analyze all possibilities and then decide.

FIY - Statement "brake pads need to be replaced annually" in your service thread is wrong. Brake pads should be replaced when they wear out. In case of Punto brake pads last at least 20k in most cases. I replaced brake pads at around 20k and it had another few thousand kms life left. I changed because service stations were being transitioned from Tata at that time. I did not want to end up in problem when the transition was happening. Therefore I did it when Tata was still servicing Fiat cars. Otherwise I think I could have lived till at least 25k on stock brake pads because few more mm of the pad surface was still there.
  3. ravimathi

ravimathi Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @RaviHegde Thanks for the suggestion. With respect to brake pads, I also felt it was unnecessary after seeing the old pads given to me. They were not at all worn out and clearly SA was saying it for obvious reasons which I understood only later :)

Thanks,
    Ravi