1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Lost Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by shakesin, Aug 5, 2011.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hi,
    i got my second service done at 14k(nov 2010). Have clocked only 20k change since then.
    Last evening while washing the car i was shocked to see the engine oil level was lower than the min on the dipstick.
    I'm taking the car today to the A.S.S, but in case there is no leakage, do i have to bear the cost for adding the oil?
    Thanks.
    Shake
    GP 1.4
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If really there is no any leakege then I fear that your engine oil is burning in combustion chamber. Bad Piston rings.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Let's not rush to conclusions as our dear friend Bhai has.

Either buy one liter of Selenia K and top up in the morning when the actual level of the oil can be gauged or ask the dealer to top up the oil.

From here on , check the oil level religiously and also check for any leaks. If it does go down, then we can think of other issues.

Gurjinder
  4. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks, yeah its a lesson, in fact i always used to check every 1000kms, somehow lost that habbit.
    Not rushing to the A.S.S also booked an appointment.
    Shake
  5. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I checked after doing 1500 kms, there was no loss, now almost after 4,500 kms my dip stick has reached half. Can anyone check their oil level, if its the same since last service?
    Also when i went to the ASS they found no leaks!
    Shake
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    500ml in 4,500km is normal according to user manual.
    User manual defines 400 grams every 1,000km as normal but contrary to that my car drinks about 100ml-200ml in 15,000 kms which is negligible oil consumption.

If I can remeber correctly even J.Ravi fellow TFI member needs to top up his linea 1.4 engine oil in between service interval. So may be such an oil consumption is normal in petrol vehicles, have a world with other petrol owners.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. Same thing happened to my Linea too.I got it serviced at about 18k kms and after 22k kms on the odo I checked the engine oil level.It was at the minimum level.Fortunately I had 0.7l of Selenia K left in the boot (as Linea has 3.3l of max. capacity and I purchased full 4l pack at the time of service) filled in up and then checked the level.It came to max. level on the dipstick.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hey Sid,
    Have you reported that to the ASS, isn't that a problem? Its like an internal bleeding man, which we don't know, can cause bigger problems later!
    Shake
  9. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    This thread seems to be an eye opener to me. I had not checked engine oil levels between services intervals. Will start with that habit !
  10. I didn't take the car to the TASS due to tight schedule but everyday I check the level of oil it seems to be ok now.Will take the car to the TASS if the problem reappears.