1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Loss of peripheral vision when driving at high speeds

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by johnny, Apr 23, 2013.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In a motor accident, wherein a speeding car hits a slower moving vehicle coming from the side, the speeding car drivers often swear that they just didn't see the vehicle coming from the left or right. Well, they aren't lying. They really don't see the vehicle coming from the side, in spite of broad daylight. This phenomenon on the car drivers part is known as Motion Induced Blindness. It is something all drivers must be aware of.

If you fix your gaze on one object long enough while you yourself are in motion, your peripheral vision goes blind.

To see how it works. Just click on the link below. You will see a revolving array of blue crosses on a black background. There is a flashing green dot in the centre and three fixed yellow dots around it. If you fix your gaze on the green dot for more than a few seconds, the yellow dots will disappear at random . . . , either singly, or in pairs, or all three together. In reality, the yellow dots are always there. Just watch the yellow dots for some time to ensure that they don't go anywhere!

MSF

To overcome this problem, make it a point to keep shifting your focus slightly to the sides without taking it off the road ahead.

Regards
    Johnny
    5 people like this.
  2. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Very true, which is why I make it a point to keep moving my gaze to both sides, be it natural landscapes (on lonely highways) or shops, hoardings etc (while passing through small towns and villages). I guess this comes with the territory - I am anyways a very distracted driver :)
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    "Distracted" would be the wrong word Nitin. If you are in the habit of scanning to the sides while driving, then "good" would be a more appropriate adjective.

Regards
    Johnny
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    i have myself experienced this with my indica when i was driving couldn't notice the Canter coming towards me on the left only thing i could realize is that the left portion of my indica was ripped.
  5. You meant canter was driving on wrong side?
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I believe this happens only during longer distance speed drives right ?
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Yes, Canter was coming from wrong side (left side) it happened on NH4.
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Generally, long straight roads would be most conducive for this phenomenon.

Regards
    Johnny