1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Loss of mileage and power in Punto 1.3 Active

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ProudOwner, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ProudOwner

ProudOwner Timido

Delhi/NCR
    Hi Guys,

I have joined this forum today but I have been reading its thread for quite sometime now. I have been reading issues faced by Fiat owners. I have also been facing some issues and hence wanted to discuss it here.
    After second service of my car (from Kashyap Fiat, Noida in March, 2013) there was a loss of mileage and power. Initially, I was not very sure of my observation so I continued using the car. But over the period of time when I read various forums, I came across similar problem being reported by few owners. Many Fiat owners were reporting issues with turbo.

In the recently held AutoExpo 2014, I spoke to a Fiat technician and he recommended that I show it to Kashyap Fiat, Noida. My third service was also due and hence last week went to Kashyap Fiat, Noida. I told them about this loss of power and mileage. They drove the car and agreed that turbo was not kicking in before 3k rpm. They inspected the turbo and cleaned it. Nothing was found. Finally after the service, we again did a trial and the car did show some improvement. When I drove the car it did show some improvement but it was still not back to same condition as it was after first service. Beside this I don't feel the car is butter smooth as it was after first service. The service told me that car was now completely ok but I am sure that it is not as smooth and powerful as it was when I bought it and after first service.

Please note that I got my first service done from Oberoi Motors, Noida in Sep 2012 and the car was butter smooth. The mileage shot up to 18 kmpl in city conditions and there was no loss in power.

Please advice.

Regards
    Ashish
  2. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome to the Forum buddy...

As far as I know there are few culprits and I suggest you target these first:
    1> Air Filter _ Check if it is new
    2> Fuel Filter_ Check if it is new
    3> Fuel Quality_Try to change to another Fuel Retalier and maintain 1 fuel retailer only.
    4> Tyre Pressure_ Keep your tire pressure around 32 psi(when the tire is not run much) else increase 1 psi if you feel the tires are warm/hot.

5> Full Tank_ Fill the tank to ensure there would be less of fuel evopration.

Try this for approximatly a month

- - - Merged Post - - -

After a month, you see no change then you wil have to knock at your FASS dealers doors.
    1> Need to first visually inspect all the hoses connecting to the Turbo for any small holes/bulges.
    2> You would need to clean the EGR valve, there is a forum on how the EGR value is cleared.
    3> A faulty Glow Plug
    4> Last but not the least, Turbo is partially concked....

Sorry dude, but it's not just Fiat, it can happent to any Turbo charged cars, so please do the basic 4 points first and see if you notice any difference.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. ProudOwner

ProudOwner Timido

Delhi/NCR
    Hi Anup,

As far as filters are concerned, I mentioned that the problem started when the car came out after second service which means filter were changed to new.
    My fuel bunks are same as they were earlier.
    Tyre pressure are checked everytime I visit fuel bunk.

How can I identify whether my turbo is concked up or not? I don't think so I will be able to clean the EGR myself... I may end up messing with them.

Regards
    Ashish
  4. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Have you by urself saw them changing the filters (fuel, air etc). It just bcos some of the malpractices can be done if u weren't present their. I strictly stand near to my car and see all the required parts are getting changed or not.

There may be some other reason too like fuel adulteration or something else.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ proudowner
    Aashish is right. Head mechanic,SA & spare part manager do various malpractices & black-marketing of spares.
    They prepare false statement of replacement of parts in warrantee.
    At the time of claiming warrantee part,they send parts lying in their junkyard to company which are left by customers who have got work done on paid jobs.

Don't leave important parts at ASS after getting paid jobs.
    If we left it, staff of ASS misuse it for their malpractices.

Recently I went through this type of bad experience. They gave me bill of EGR replaced in warrantee but actually fitted original old one EGR by only cleaning it. Complaint filed to Mr.Mangesh. Mr.Mangesh got angry by seeing this type of malpractice. He is personally looking matter.

For your problem :-
    Replace the MAF sensor on trial basis. Some time sensor doesn't give error.
    I got replacement of MAF sensor without any ECM error. Problem of flat spot cleared.
    Now only problem of poor torque at low RPM & bypassing of turbo boost due to leaky EGR may be solved by replacing new EGR

@Aashish :
    What's up? Where is your brother ? If I am not wrong his name is Amit. Right?
    He has not phoned me from last 8-10 months. Please inform him. I don't have his cell No.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. ProudOwner

ProudOwner Timido

Delhi/NCR
    Sorry guys for being dormant for a month. I was too busy these days but have been keeping a close watch on my car during this time. Some of the things which I am very sure now are that:
    - I do not always feel turbo kick.
    - If ever the turbo kicks in, then it happens at 2200 to 2500 rpm. I think it should kick in earlier which is 1700-1800 rpm. Please correct if I am wrong.
    - While accelerating sometimes I feel engine is screaming like hell which proves that turbo is not working properly.

I have recently been very busy and not able to take out time to visit service station. I will go to Oberoi Motors this time as soon I get time. I have also been recommended Diesel additive like Abro. Can anybody suggest that whether we should use them and if yes then from which brand? Recently on a visit to IOC fuel bunk, a guy was promoting Indian Oil diesel additives. Also, do these additive have any harmful effect on the vehicle?
  7. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well I avoid strongly suggest you to keep out of adding any additives for now as your car is fairly new.

If there is no loss in your mileage then I don't think there is a Turbo Failure, because if there was then your FE should just go down as a lot of fuel is wasted as the engine will not be able to burn fuel efficiently.</SPAN>
    Engine makes a revving sound thanks to the Short Gearing of the car.</SPAN>

Ok here’s one thing you do, once your car’s Temperature guage is reached the Half way mark, just start the car slowly use the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear for just about 1.5k RPM then switch to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and accelerate, it you don’t get the Turbo punch just near the 2k RPM mark then definitely ASS visit is needed to examine if there are any hose is cracked/leaking or the Turbo unit itself.</SPAN>
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Diesel additives are totally not recommended by Fiat since it is believed that they may harm the injectors. However, Tata SCs and Maruti SCs used to use system D on tank full of diesel recommended for 2-3 fills of full tank to clean the injectors etc.

Some users have used these and found improvements of various kinds with regards car performance and FE, but these could be purely placebo effect due to driving full tanks towards empty. Mostly it is recommended to check the engine oil quality, air filter, and filling petrol/diesel from a CoCo filling station. Buy diesel from a different fuel station and see the difference. Meanwhile check the car on an examiner with the SC.

- - - Merged Post - - -

If there is a Turbo failure chances are the engine oil levels drop drastically as well. And the car will have too much trouble with pick-up than mentioned by you. Hopefully your Turbo is fine.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  9. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

malappuram,kerala
    hai,
    is the same method applicable to my linea 1.3mjd also??? because im also experiencing such problems..
  10. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Vipin,

It same for all Turbo Charged Diesel Engines across.

You wouldn't get a kick as how 76hp motor does :mrgreen: because the Turbo is linear in the Linea and Punto 90hp but certaily you will come to know when the Turbo kicks in.