1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Loss of engine power post 3000 rpm -Linea tjet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by JayKis, Apr 14, 2015.

1. JayKis

JayKis Timido

Pune
    Background to the story:

Was on a long drive from Kerala to Bangalore and after around 400 kilometers there was suddenly a loss of power and noticed the EOBD light came on. Drove the car till Bangalore at really moderate speeds.
    1) Went straight away to Vecto motors at Singasandra and their OBD scanner wasnt working properly. They said it is a turbo hose failure. But after they connected the OBD scanner and tried to do the diagnostics, the light disappeared.
    2) The warning light disappeared the next day and took it to KHT motors, whitefield. Even they didnot have the OBD scanner working properly and the mechanic drove the car for a while and couldnot repeat the same issue.

One week later drove the car from Bangalore to Kerala again and the issue cropped after 200 kilometres on the way. The same light came on and hence drove the rest of the way at moderate speeds.

This time took it to Marikkar motors, Kottayam and they connected the OBD scanner (as per them but I didnot see a OBD scanner around) and this time too the light disappeared after they had connected the OBD scanner.

I have left the car with my dad in Kerala and wouldnot be driving it any soon. But am currently spooked by this problem as to why this could happen.

If it had happened once, this could have been dismissed as a one off case. But this has happened twice and that too on long trips and the issue dies down after sometime!!

What could be the issue here?
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi,
    Did you observed at what RPM your car is experiencing the power drop?
    Recently my visit to Vecto, i saw a linea having the same problem i.e post 2k RPM there is a loss of power due to which one experiences a mild jerk. The guys are breaking their heads to figure out the issue. As per the scanner, it reports the Injectors as the issue. But they have done all the inspection so far and injectors are working fine. Still the detailed diagnosis is going on.

If you having the same problem, you could reproduce the same by revving the car (in neutral) to post some RPM, later on one can observe the needle gets stuck for a sec and then moves, thus resembling a power drop. The service engineer Mr. Manju at Vecto demonstrated this when i was there.

Just an FYI for you. Sorry i dont have the exact solution to this.
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. JayKis

JayKis Timido

Pune
    @zenwalker - Thanks for the info. Once the light comes on it is like 3000 rpm (as mentioned in the heading) in every gear. I think its the ECU cutting off the power beyond a certain rpm range.
  4. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    With engine warning light you cant go beyond 2500-3000rpm. Its to save your engine and its a safety feature.
    rajks likes this.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I could be just fuel issue.Shut down the engine after the warning, wait for some time and switch on the engine the warning light should go away.If this regularly get it chkd properly.Otherwise no isssues at all.
  6. mail2maverick

mail2maverick Timido

Bangalore
    Such problems were very common on pre2012 models, issue being egr valve. U will feel like someone is holding u from behind or hand brake is on. Just check them.
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @JayKis : Sudden power loss could be due to
    1. faulty EGR valves
    2. loose turbo hose
    3. bad fuel.

Just check these one by one. I remember fellow TFI member @Rituraj was facing the same issue and he got the issue resolved recently.
    prabhjot likes this.