1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Looking for Destinations in Coastal Karnataka

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by teky, Feb 16, 2012.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Guys - Bunch of my friends are interested in making a trip to the coastal Karnataka as we've explored Kerala & TN already. We know nothing about this specific belt apart from this being beautiful roads to drive. So we are looking at places to visit, route options from fellow TFI'ans. This would be a 4 day trip including drive from Chennai so not looking to drive more than 600~700 Kms per day. The location should also be family & kids friendly, Quickly checked around and found the below locations. I don't know how these are and how suitable, so folks please chip in with your views about alternate locations.

Gokarna
    Shimoga
    Hampi
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Except the first one, the other two places are located inland. In Shimoga per se, there is nothing worthwhile to visit to. You can visit Jog Falls, which is 100 km from Shimoga. But again, Jog Falls should be visited during SW monsoon, say June to September. Now, Jog Falls will be dry.

If you are visiting Hampi, you can also consider visiting Banashankari, Badami, Aihole and Pattadakal, which are located nearby.

If you want to visit coastal Karnataka, you can start from Kukke Subrahmanya, Dharmasthala, Udupi, Kollur Mookambika, Maravanthe beach, Murudeshwara and Idugunji. If you do this circuit, after visiting Idugunji, you can drive to Honnavara on NH 17, turn right to NH 206, visit Jog Falls, come to Bangalore via Shimoga.
    1 person likes this.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Thanks Ravi ji for info. The above circuit you included looks good to me, But there are too many temples to cover which I can't really. Looking for more drive by coast or something and relax. Does Maravanthe have any resorts where we can settle and look at all these places or should we be looking into stay at some other place?
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    NH 17 may test your driving skills as it is being widened to 4-lanes between Mangalore and Udupi. I don't know the present status. Similarly, Bangalore to Mangalore [NH 48] includes a ghat section [Shiradi Ghat] which is always in the news for the wrong reasons! So, your search for relaxation may be tested to the core by these two NHs.
    Here are some resorts recommended by Holiday IQ. I didn't stay anywhere when I did this circuit ten years back in my MS Omni. Started early morning from Linganamakki [near Jog Falls], covered Idugunji, Murudeshwara, Maravanthe, Kollur, Udupi, dined at Mangalore, continued my driving and reached my Bangalore home by next day early morning!
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    This is not good news then if the roads aren't good, May be we need to think about the destinations then. How about Gokarna then, that should have good routes all the way I believe since that's en-route to Goa?
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. Gokarna is located between Honnavara and Karwar by the side of NH 17 on the way to Goa. The route is NH 4 up to Tumkur>Turn left to NH 206, continue via Shimoga>Turn right at Honnavara on NH 17>Gokarna>Goa. Please note that NH 206/17 are good with two lanes when I last drove in 2010. I don't know their present status.
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Gokarna. Purrfect place to chill out, good beaches and some nice shacks too.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Torpedo

Torpedo Amatore

Bangalore
    If you are going to Maravanthe, then Turtle Bay is a good resort from my experience but then that was 8 years ago - check availability as well because it is known to be a favourite adda for the Manipal students. But I agree the drive from B'lore through the Shirdi ghats can be a bit of a painful experience because of horrible roads and broken down tankers.
    1 person likes this.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Gokarna is one amazing place with great natural beauty.. If you have not been there I would definitely recommend it. It has more foreigners visiting than indians. perfect place to relax and unwind. you also get some great food.

From bangalore its approximately 9-10 hrs journey. best route going by the least time taken would be
    bangalore-> tumkur->chitradurga->davangere->haveri->sirsi->kumta->gokarna.

upto haveri its four lane GQ, a breeze to drive. from haveri two lane but mostly good roads which should take around 3hrs from there.

Namaste cafe is a good place to stay on Om beach.
    Let me know if you need more info.
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3