1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Looking for an after market ICE- need advice

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by vishnu's, Nov 23, 2011.

1. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my HU of my Punto. Mine is an Emotion variant so don't have to worry about loosing steering mounted control and B n Me. Google search on this made me to decide against 2 Din HU. I have to make alteration to accommodate it, so decided to settle for a single Din unit. Checked EBay and they got few HU but i think those are Chinese made. Please refer the below link

4.3" Touchscreen Car 1 Din DVD Player with USB, Video Player, SD, FM, Bluetooth | eBay

Is it worth the price? I doesn’t have a GPS unit and not sure about its reliability. Is there any other reputed brand with similar design and specs?

2. omzworld

Hi Vishnu great to see you are going for upgrade. I am an Emotion owner and now collecting all components for my ICE upgrade.
    My suggestion would be to not fall for these Chinese pieces (its not coming cheap by any standard).
    1st why do you want to upgrade? Sound quality or features. If features what features.Then tell about your udget.
    Probably then you can expect the team to help you properly.
  3. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

@omzworld - Its of course the features. USB is the main requirement. Bluetooth is also in the list. I am ok with the quality of the OE HU after i upgraded my speakers. For the USB i tried with the FM transmitter but it is causing lot of inconvenience. I will accidently switch off while changing gear and while using hand brake, the sound quality is very poor as well. I thought of going for a regular single Din HU, but the problem with the regular type HU without an LCD screen is that it will spoil the look of the dash. Budget the maximum i can afford is 20K. I don't know whether i will get a reputed brand for that price. :(. If you are aware of any brand within this budget please let me know. By the way are you planning to upgrade you HU?

4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check out jvc, they have the double don LCD hu I suppose
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Vishnu,
    Go for a tablet PC with a holder and connect it to the aux input, with 32GB card you can load lot of songs and apps (GPS, OBD, internet, phone etc).

6. anoop

anoop Superiore

If you want single DIN and touchscreen, there are few models which have flip down LCD screens ( Car Selector )

Other option will be to go for a single din unit with built in screen - the downer is that, the screen size will be really small.

If you love SQ, in that budget, get a CDA 117 - not much bells and whistles like BT, jumping dolphins etc, but very good sound.
  7. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

There are more option s in dual din - you could try something like this if it you like it.
    Go to google and search "dual-din-linea-punto" you'll get a link to India's so called no.1 auto forum. Check it out! Looks pretty neat to me for 4k!
    You could get a pioneer 2 din for 15-16k.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

stay away from chinese units. they wont play good and you never know when they conk off
  9. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Hi All,

Thanks for your inputs.

@ Rajeev - Thanks for the advice. If i am not able to get hold of any good HU then, may be i will try my luck with your suggestion .

@ Jasveen - Thank you. I saw two models of JVC (KD-AVX55 and KD-AVX77) but not sure about the price.

@Arkin - 2 Dins are not a direct fit to the dash and have to make some cutting and modification. so staying away from it.

@Anoop - Thanks for the link. The flip down LCD screens look cool :) But i think it will block the AC vents, but not much of an issue. Let me check the availability of these models.

@Italia-Linea - Thanks for the word of caution. Chinese units are definitely a no-go.

Will keep you posted.

10. Hi Vishnu,

Did you get any chance to buy a touch screen HeadUnit.