1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Long drive trip on new Punto

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ajay.sarin, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ajay.sarin

ajay.sarin

New Delhi
    Hey Guys,

I just bought a new PG and going for a 1000KM long drive. I request your suggestions, if anything i should be taking care of while taking my vehicle on long drive, provided it is only 200 KM old.

Drive will be mainly in plane higway, with 10-20% of hilly train.

All your suggestions are most welcome.

Regards
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Worry not. The engines of today are unlike the engines of the era gone by.

One thing which is VERY advisable is to not keep a certain same rpm for long stretches of highway. Keep varying it , say every 5km's or so. Indian highways rarely allow us to maintain a set speed n rpm for long distances, so nothing to worry.

Our Linea was seeing 3500rpm's in short bursts when it had around 200km on the clock.

Just drive it normally without abusing it and you'll be fine.

Good luck.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

I agree with Gurjinder ^^^

Just make sure that you do not abuse the car, and keep varying the RPM. Do not strain your car much. I did my first trip (200+ km ) when the car was <75 km old, and next 500+ km trip when the car was <350 km old.

Be gentle on the curves - do not drive for long time in low gears so as to strain the engine.
  4. ajay.sarin

ajay.sarin

New Delhi
    Thanks guys,

Varying RPM surely a add on, will take care of it...Will driving at 110+ do any bad to new engine, just heard some advices on not to drive on more that 70-80.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If at times the opportunity presents itself then 100 or so is a no issue, if not sustained for long durations. For short durations it will do no harm, rather it'll help the engine open up.

I have never really believed in the school of thought which says drive the new car like a baby. That'll do more harm than good.

Also, have a read of my posts on ''start stop idling'' thread onTFI. Might help,

Cheers
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ajay.sarin,

When I took delivery of my Punto 1.3 from Ahmedabad, I was advised by the Fiat rep at the show room to keep max speeds between 80 to 90 kph for the first 2000 kms.

I drove to Greater NOIDA the next day. I stuck to the speed limits, though it is tough on good roads - before you realise it, you are shooting past the speed limits. For this drive I got FE of 25 kpl+ (I have never got this figure after this).

Now with 25k on the clock, the car is running just fine - I do not know if it is because of the 'running in'. Tomorrow I am driving to Mumbai. The car is great for long drives.

Regards
    Johnny
  7. ajay.sarin

ajay.sarin

New Delhi
    Thanks Gurjinder, reffered thread surely helped :)

@Johnny - 25KMPL...wow...let's hope I will see something near to it, so it is only 14-15 in the first 200 KMs.....and I will try to maintain 80-90, if not at all times, atleast for 60-65% of my long drive.
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

@ajay - doing 100+ is not an issue - only make sure you do not strain the engine much in lower gears to reach 100. If you get the opportunity to reach 100~110 aaram se, no harm in doing so.
  9. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Pay attention to braking as well, brake bite and tire grip will be on lower side for first 400Km (mentioned in manual)
  10. ajay.sarin

ajay.sarin

New Delhi
    Thanks bak but can you please elaborate on braking part, any particular things i should take care about....