1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Long drive Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Technical' started by anantashu, Dec 18, 2013.

1. anantashu

anantashu Timido

Bangalore
    Hi,

I am driving from Bangalore to Mumbai on 21st. Been through post on things to do before long drive. My queries on points came up in the discussion are

1. Engine Oil: Do I need to carry engine oil for 1.3 Multijet for this trip. In case yes, how much depletion should be expected and pointer on how to top up the oil will help.

2. What should be the ratio of coolant to the water.

4. Any recommendation on number of breaks to ease out engine load.

3. In case of some issue, which vendor to refer in Pune/Mumbai.

Thanks
    Anant
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Here we go with my views on the queries you posted.

1. Engine Oil: Do I need to carry engine oil for 1.3 Multijet for this trip. In case yes, how much depletion should be expected and pointer on how to top up the oil will help.
    On the engine oil consumption, it completely depends on that particular engine. In any way you look at it, carrying a litre of the engine oil is a safer bet and easily avaiable at the service centers.

2. What should be the ratio of coolant to the water.
    You get premixed coolant at the service center and I believe it costs about 170 bucks so for 1 litre. Carrying litre should be sufficient. My drive up to Kashmir did not require any top ups, but to be on the safer side I had one litre of the coolant.

3. In case of some issue, which vendor to refer in Pune/Mumbai.
    Best bet, call the RSA.

4. Any recommendation on number of breaks to ease out engine load.
    I have done a couple of Pune/Shirdi and Mumbai runs and a few 1000+ kms runs at a stretch with just the food and bio breaks. The MJD is built to run comfortably for many hours without a break. Its more the driver's capability than the engine's capability ;)
    2 people like this.
  3. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Since you would be taking the Pune- Mumbai Bypass, if you face any problems you can pop in at Pandit Auto - Bavdhan. Its just off the bypass. Happy tripping and PM me if you need anything in Pune :)
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    I have driven from Delhi to Pathankot 500Km in 5hrs non-stop without any breaks. Multijets can handle long distance drive easily, you don't have to worry. Just check and make sure that Engine Oil and Coolant Level are optimum before the journey.
    1 person likes this.
  5. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    I have also done Vadodara-Mumbai 450 kms with just one break. No need to worry. Just check things once, the coolant and oil lvls. And also after a taxing drive dont forget to keep the engine idle for 2-3 min before shutting down the engine.

Sent from my GP
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    When was the car serviced last? Also, what is the longest trip / distance you have driven?

Rajan
  7. anantashu

anantashu Timido

Bangalore
    The car was serviced in July first week, I have driven around 600Km with one stop. I am going to KHT Bangalore for vehicle checkup.
    As per them they don't sell engine oil. Where can I get engine oil and coolant incase I dont get it from KHT.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Cool then. You will be fine. Just go for it. The MJD does not consume too much engine oil. Just check the oil level and make sure it is almost at max and you will be fine.

Really. That is news to me. KHT's owner claims that it is sold in the showroom, forget the ASC. I am sure you are misinformed.

Rajan
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Actually one need not worry about long highway run. Highway runs are most friendly for any engine oil. Its city run that kills the oil more.
    3 people like this.
  10. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    No need to carry oil, which in any case is easily avaialable at all A.S.S.

30% coolant + 70% water is the ratio for coolant & water mix in most modern engines including the MJD

Breaks required only when you are tired or need one, the engine/vehicle can easily run all around the length and breadth of the country without letting up.

Mumbai : Balaji Cars in Thane on Ghodbunder road

Pune : Pandit Auto in Bavdhan