1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Live Updates: Abarth 595 Competizione Launch and Punto Abarth Showcase

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drknaresh

drknaresh Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    This bashing starts from none other than "US", the fiat owners. We are never satisfied with what fiat offers us. The owners of 'M, H & H' don't complain much about the negativitis of their cars, the reason could be ignorance or lack of public forum like us.
    I think the more we discuss about the negatives of fiat, the more we get frustrated, we should ignore these and be optimistic
    varunrtr, Sujit508, bharath and 4 others like this.
  2. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Sorry @drknaresh : But I beg to differ. We Fiat owners never really bash the product. We bash the lack of information regarding the product. We bash the fact that FCA is too slow with regards to releases. We bash the dealers who are pathetic in converting leads to sales. We bash FCA's processes along the way but never really the product. It is those processes which get highlighted in the market for others to bash. M, H and H do one thing correctly. The convert leads very quickly with blitzkrieg efficiency. And when you are part of a very large herd, your negative bashing gets hardly heard.

Simplest example, in my circle, there are numerous people who have bought i10s. 3 years later, they are all cribbing about high ASS costs each time they give it for service. And all of them get in-city mileage of 11 kmpl. And Fiats give around the same or actually more for a bigger engine size. Yet, no one talks about this because if they do, then it becomes embarassing. And those that too get lost in the huge shouts for the brand. People exaggerate, people crib but since the sheer number of cars is so high, the momentum is what is keeping M, H and H going well. Plus the ability to reach out in all cities. Physical presence is very important for our risk averse crowd.

Fiat needs to build up that momentum and right now, with the subconcious negativity going around, it is very hard.
    cassini, bharath, pdash and 6 others like this.
  3. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan Just adding to your point - my two cents. Marketing is bad - really bad. In the modern context , it is not enough to be a hard worker and qualified but unfortunately you need to market the same also.
    Where is the marketing with respect to Punto Abarth. They should have marketed in so many places in so many ways that we should have been bored just hearing about Fiat. That is not happening. Actually I see more ad's for the S-Cross and the Creta than I see for Fiat inspite of them having a far greater brand recall in India. Even now not many people know about the legendary T-jet engine. Building a brand is a long continuous process and there should be no letups in between. Of course an ad will not immediately increase sales but it will lead to a growth for sure.

The second point when we talk volumes is that we fail to realize that Fiat has the least models in India which currently stands at 2 and modifications to the same. (3 if you insist, 4 if you are a fanboy).

So with 2 models Fiat is actually doing ok. Maruti's largest sales come from the Alto - that is a small piece of tin with 4 wheels. The same volumes cannot be expected at Punto prices.
    Ideal numbers for a Fiat with advertising, adding the bling etc. should be 500 for the Linea and 1500 for the Punto/Punto Abarth/Avventura combined. Beyond that we need new models.

My crib is that the other manufacturers seem to try harder as far as the Indian perspective is concerned. See Ford - they have launched the aspire, provided 3 engine types including a decently powerful petrol and since safety is the in thing - 6 airbags for the top version. That itself would be a clincher for many folks including maybe me if I was looking for a car.

p.s Hyundai have 8 models in their kitty (10 if you include crossover and differentiate i10 and Grand i10). I have not included the Santro.

What I would like in the volumes segment:

1. Advertisizing
    2. Optional bling versions of the Punto's - rear view camera, speakers with woofer, custom seats and 6 or at the least 4 airbags. Same for the T-jet and then advertize.
    3. A more powerful petrol for the Punto petrol editions (I am talking active, dynamic). Specs do count and so do figures on paper. They have to start bring volume selling engines of a more modern version and then brag about the same.
    4. A ground up compact SUV with super bling having no similarity at all with the Punto or Linea. Should be butch looking - ride quality be damned if you want the volumes.
    bharath, pdash and abhinav_nani like this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    FCA: just merge, or some such, with Suzuki, so that such discussions become academic rather than anguished! :D

And then bring us all the good niche+performance stuff you can, you will then be able to: no more 'head banging against the wall' of mass market public opinion in India (starting and not ending with say Autocar and certain gigantic internet car-fora).

Hell you could even become merely Suzuki's premium/luxe, tech-providing and performance/sports division in India, if that means one can then buy the many 500 variants, the Panda 4x4 Cross, the 500L and X or the 124 Spider (including their Abarth avatars), Aegea or the Alfa Romeo Giulia etc. + JEEPs.:cool:

Price them as high as you absolutely have to. The motto and first comandment for Fiat could then be: "Thou shalt not discount, or advertize, your great cars for (mostly) fools who know the price of all cars but the true value(s) of none." :facepalm:

You get to be yourself, for better or worse, rather than some pirated-many-times-over avatar or caricature or parody or doll, and we get to access the truly good heart warming stuff.

No?:p
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP

@Raj_pol : Bro I agree to your first point. This is one area where FCA needs to improve..PERIOD!

But I beg to differ with all other points of yours. Fiat cars don't require to come up with bling versions, instead they need to advertise their features that are still non-existent in other manufacturers' cars. Custom seats, great ICE et all won't guarantee sales. Look at Bolt and Zest, they have the best sound system, did it help?? Who provides 6/4 airbags under 10 lacs?? If safety would have high on preference for our Indian Junta, then Fiat should have been an instant hit already. Look at i20, it used to provide 6 airbags in asta variant, but now with Elite it has come down to 2 airbags only, and still its not cheap.

Punto 1.2 is aimed at first time car buyers or people who drive in city mostly. For that purpose, its great, trust me. BTW have you ever driven a Punto 1.2? It reaches 60-70 km/hr quite easily which is a boon for the city drives and is decent for highway cruise as well, even though you would require frequent gear shifts for overtaking. If on paper specs would have done wonders, then Punto 1.4 should have been a hit belting out a pretty decent 90 bhp in the segment. Apart from Polo TSI, no other petrol hatch has more power.
    Apple Iphone still uses 1 GB of RAM where its andriod counterparts like Samsung, LG, the Chinese (One+, Xiaomi) are already having 4 GB of RAM. So it doesn't depend upon the on-paper specs, but the real world performance matters the most. The same 1.2 FIRE is used in Indica, and ask their owners, it never felt under-powered to them, and you can't bring the weight into contention as Tata cars are also heavy. 1.2 is the only car that provides its max torque at 2500 RPM in the segment, which does the job quite brilliantly. Its just that Fiat cars have to be bashed up!!

I think again, we want a lot from Fiat. Who knows, if Fiat would have doing good numbers (even 25% of what it does in Brazil), we would have got the latest engines. But, even the so called old Fiat engines are great.

Its just that our Indian junta has got used to the USPs that the Asian manufacturers (H,HY,T) provide. And regarding your last statement, please don't ask Fiat to undermine its USPs like flat ride quality. We have already made Fiat sacrifice its handling post 2012, with the new GC setup.
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    We have all understood this correctly. There doesn't seem to be the need for adding anything much more when it comes to trims. Or even if there is something to be added, it should be something that is not cost intensive.

If you see team-bhp and the Creta and the S-Cross threads, everyone says that both cars are very highly priced. YET, what you will also see if that people are actually finding reasons and excuses to buy them! Its exactly the opposite for Fiat. People find reasons to not buy for some reason. The Alto is truly a tin-can. It is tiny, has very little space inside but is a decent pocket rocket for most people especially for city driving. People know it is unsafe but they still buy it and it commands a ridiculously high resale value. I don't find anything wrong with Fiat right from the build quality to perfomance for that weight. It that Fiat name was replaced with M, H or H, people will talk only about its steering, handling and awesome safety and buy it in droves.

So the very first step is removing the negative mindset from people. It is ONLY after that that we will see sales happening. People need a reason to not bash Fiat. The sales will happen after that automatically.

H and H dealers are now getting the reputation of being brash and arrogant. So why are people still buying H and H cars? How come the Fiat dealership experience is so important for the same people but not the H and H dealership experience? India is one of the worst countries in the world for deaths due to car accidents. Yet they buy Omnis and Stingrays for the open road. I'm afraid the issue goes very deep, over many decades of the brand being bashed by previous generations which has passed on to the current one.

So let me jump off the cliff now and ask every one of you. Is there anyone here who purchased a Fiat after being wholeheartedly recommended the brand by family and friends? Cause I sure didn't. Everyone told me not to buy a Fiat though no one had a solid reason for why they said it. My wife and I went against nearly everyone to buy one. So if you are in my position, it means you have the guts to think for yourself without being affected by the enormous herd talk. Maybe I'm wrong. Feel free to bash me. :facepalm:
  7. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    [QUOTE Is there anyone here who purchased a Fiat after being wholeheartedly recommended the brand by family and friends? [/QUOTE]

Everyone asked me not to buy a Fiat. (Nobody could point a finger at it except for availability of parts and ASS)
    I gave ratings(numbers) to the aspects that mattered to me the most. Took test drives and scored against each arrived at an overall score for all the cars, then decided. Did not go by what the people around me had to tell, because their knowledge was more or less the same as mine, when it came to measuring performance.
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

To be honest, even internationally, Fiat/Chrysler has that " great car but.." perception. Just cant shake it off their butt !!
    To an extent even a Nissan suffers from this.
    @Vidyashankar- when I bought the Linea, my dad (who generally maintains a healthy but not-too-deep interest in cars) accompanied me to the showroom. After all the TDs and analysis/paralysis , it was that "thud" of the doors that sealed it for him!! He also had liked the overall fit finish of the Vento (noticeably superior to the Linea, minus the thud) , but the Vento TDI turbo went kaput with a engine check blinking bright during our TD and I had to bring it back in limp mode:nailbiting:. That kind of spoilt it for us.
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan OT ...Me and wifey bought it because we both simultaneously fell in love with the Punto. Though, truth be told, our first love was the T-jet, but the active version did not have airbags and it was a strict no for me. Family does not interfere in these matters.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Closing this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.