1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Live Updates: Abarth 595 Competizione Launch and Punto Abarth Showcase

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cassini

cassini Novizio

Bangalore
    Germany
    Grande Punto 1.3
  2. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    Again i am not expert on cars, but reading the review felt that they were trying to find a normal car... hyundai types (where ever they have been critical) in a car meant to be sporty and tuned for racing. Please review the car for what it is made for. Wish how a review of a Verna will look like when judged for speed, handling and sportiness.
  3. acechip

acechip Superiore

Thats the state of affairs in Indian journalism nowadays on all matters. Anything different from what the journos want you to see, and they will seethe and bemoan.
    cassini and Vidhyashankar Kannan like this.
  4. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Perfectly said, give them a Ferarri and they'll say it has bad mileage, a hard ride and no aux on the head unit.
    aramico, gopan and bharath like this.
  5. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Well said. No one appreciates the must have characters (build, handling, brake and suspension).

It's time to demand real dynamics from those Ms, h and hy.

After sales story is gone now a days....
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @C_S .I read the review word by word and to me it looks like one of the best reviews I have read on any Fiat car in India.

The fit and finish of most Fiat cars are not up to competition. Durability is a complete different proposition. Since not many folks buy Fiats its pretty much known that other than Fiat owners no one else knows how durable Fiats are. But since the community is negligible(currently less than 0.5% of the whole Indian car market). So its pretty understandable that folks are usually not much aware.

But he has compared it with Mini and praised 500 for what it provides in a compact foot print. He has even praised it comparing to Swift & Polo. Both economy class cars and still this small 500 beats them in some areas which it being a sports car is not exactly supposed to be good in that area.

About the drive he is all praise except for the AMT. I haven't driven a 500 but I guess most of Fiat enthusiasts will agree that they would have preferred a manual over the AMT. It may be spot on the shift delay he mentions. Most of the AMTs reviewed in India has this issue. Be it Maruti or Tata or Fiat. So there may actually be some truth in it.

Any car with such low GC will have issues that he has mentioned. Ride at slower speeds will not be very comforting. Even Punto @ slower speeds is not as good as it is at higher speeds. Stiffer suspensions is the main culprit. So whatever you gain in handling you sacrifice in ride. Its almost universal and would be true for most manufacturers. Just that Fiat has got the best balance at least in India. But 500 being a sports car it had to be tuned for better handling so ride at least @ slower speeds and bad roads will be bad. But in the same breath he has also praised the string suspension system Abarth has provided and he too was surprised to find the build quality being of high class.

Inspite of showing the flaws he has praised 500 handsomely for doing thing that it is supposed to do in a great way.

A very good review I would say.
    Raj_pol, bharath, C_S and 2 others like this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nibedk

But he is totally absurd about the amt. An amt is just like a manual, it IS the same manual he likes very much: it pauses and even 'jerks' (since the clutch engages, the revs drop, then post gearshift revs and torque shift happens. That is THE point of an amt on the Abarth or say the Lamborghini Gallardo or no less than the Maserati GranTurismo: to give exactly that 'feel and character' of a manual (with the accompanying aural dip-and-scream), without the expense or headache or possible fuel efficiency penalty of a TC gearbox or a ddct. While making city traffic driving clutch-free, and with full manual shifts possible on demand.

That's where these reviews (there are several others including Autocar June print issue's) are really missing the point of the amt, altogether, thus betraying their pseudo-journalistic non-credentials.

Otherwise, this particular review is pretty good and comprehensive too, and does not beg too many questions like the good Ms. AutocarLadyHackK's always do. Autocar like the 595 too, how could they not? But picked the Mini Cooper S ahead of it, even though they admit it is many lakhs more expensive, not quite as cutely characterful and charismatic as the 595, with not half the equipment of the Abarth, either. But that is another story.

One should look forward to the reviews that recommend the sub-par-in-most-ways for a hot 'gt' hatch Polo tsi over the awesome-in-pretty-much-all Abarth Punto....because the one has the superfast twin-clutch while the other has, er, 'rubbery and vague' gearshifts. ;-)
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 12, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 11, 2015 ---
    http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the-car-and-bike-show/the-sting-of-the-abarth-scorpion/378278

Gotta like Kevin Flynn!:cool:

VERY revelatory (though not quite, or at all, since the cats weren't let out of the bag!) comments on 'platform strategy', 'exports', ckd V/s localized and especially the 500X possibility.

The video seems abruptly chopped off at the end: perhaps the cats were, and FCA's PR guys forced ndtv to put them right back in?;)
    Murphy_Fiat and C_S like this.
  8. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    [QUOTE Inspite of showing the flaws he has praised 500 handsomely for doing thing that it is supposed to do in a great way.
    A very good review I would say.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the only problem i have is that they are not so generous about criticizing other brand cars as compared to a Fiat. How about making a statement like "GC is less, but it understandable given that this has sporty credentials, this is exactly what a sporty car should be". I can see that they are not very generous when giving credit for Fiat cars, but walk the extra mile to highlight the negatives. Some examples that come to my mind are
    1. "Linea has a timeless design while the sporty looks of HC will appeal to the youth" - is this not giving a skewed opinion
    2. Typically both the Linea and the Verna have Coupe kind of roof falling down, while Linea's head room is an obstruction and there is no mention about the roof in the Verna
    3. Recently there was a review on the build quality of Cars and there was no mention of the Linea or the Punto, i20 gets a mention
    4. Every time Fiat is spoken about, there is a mention of bad ASS, has anyone mentioned about higher prices of spare parts of Honda or a Hyundai while talking about total ownership cost. Any mention of VW horrors?

These are some of the examples i can quote. I am sure friends here who understand the mechanicals of the car can highlight many more.
    I agree that this review has been the better ones off late, but comparing to a Swift or a Polo is not justified i guess. The breed is totally different. In that case none of the modern cars can match the sofa comfort that the ambassador back seat offered at half the price the C2 sedans sell for.
  9. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    I understand your frustration brother. I felt tata cars are even better than maruti. Even if you get a poll which one to choose, majority of the votes go to fiat or tata. But when come to the sales they are the least. Surely there is gap.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I really don't understand why Fiats get bashed so much in India.

In 2009, when Punto launched, people were very excited and it was seen as the segment best handler but interior quality is bad.
    Come 2010-2011: Punto's bottom gets scraped too often. At that time Punto 's GC was more than Figo.
    2012- Now no more bottom scraping but the handling has gone for a toss?? Also the interior quality has improved with more consistent panel gaps.

So over the years Fiat has tried better than other manufacturers as far as listening to customers' feedback is concerned but off late Fiat has understood that somehow people expect too much from a Fiat.

In this example, Figo never changed its GC but still sold well, but Punto sales never really picked up, even if it's one of the best city cars, where you don't have to slow down at speed breakers and can maintain a healthy speed and of course the best highway muncher in the segment.

Its simple, if it's a fiat, bashing comes for free.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    cassini, prabhjot, drknaresh and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.