1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Little advice needed regarding recoil in 1st & 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Saumya Daan, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Saumya Daan

Saumya Daan

hi guys...

I have completed more than 16k kms within a year in my Linea MJD 2011 - Emotion. And just after my second service i'm having a strange RECOIL in the 1st and 2nd gear. I mean as soon as i step on & off the accelerator or let go of the clutch...there is a JHATKA that i get in the opposite direction....its minor but it sure is prominent.... I tried to change my driving style to leave the clutch a lil later than i usually do and that reduces the effect...and when i asked the TASS rep.. he said that the engine is powerful and after the second service it is free and so it is because of the power that is pulling the heavy body that causes the jhatka... i'm just wondering... is that true?? cos this never really used to happen before... advice please..!!
  2. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    Typical of the TASS rep to give all that cr*p.

My petrol Linea also has the same jerk thing and the AC trips at the same time. It is very unsettling when you are driving peacefully.

Fiat workshops seem to be unaware of such a thing. If someone here on the forum has a solution then I would also be interested otherwise it is something that you have to live with. I have noticed that it happens when it is hot especially in peak summer or when it is very sunny in these months.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Try releasing the clutch a little slowly/gradually after gear shift, and you wont feel the jerk. The jerk happens when you suddenly release the clutch.
  4. Please get the C-Mounting checked.
  5. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

First try riding another fiat. If the problem u told is not in ur car, try to adjust seating position(it will change your cluch release timing without u changing your habit). If it still persist i believe u should check your car. It could be that your accelerator is not responding fast. I am not a petrolhead to pinpoint the issue. Maybe it could be of spurious diesel, faulty fuel pump. Just make sure that its not only in your car.. With AC on, at times , my car also jerk when shifting but only when my left leg fatigues out in city traffic. Forgot to ask u something. Did u notice the jerking only in lower gears?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  6. nothing unusual about it..
    Its seen in all manual transmission cars
    Over and above that linea and punto have a tall 1st and 2nd gear ratio which is directly proportional to the jhatka/recoil you are talking about.
    all the people driving fiats are too meticulous about petty things..just take it easy and drive safe:))

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Service guys are pretty correct about engine opening up after 15K kms
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

There is sudden increase in the power from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but i would not say its Jatka but sudden power.Manage the clutch properly u may not feel the jatka.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Tall?? No ways!! First is damn short..2nd is a bit tall.Im talking in respect to FIRE engines.Dont know about MJD's.

This is the problem with modern day ECU driven cars.Dont know where the problem lies :A
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. Sorry guys got myself wrong.
    MJD-1st gear has a very short gear ratio...even 2nd is short.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

due to confusion i wrote it as tall gear ratio but i meant short
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The specific jerk you are saying while releasing clutch in gear shifting is due to faulty pressure plate.

If you replace complete clutch assembly ( Clutch & pressure plate,clutch bearing) you will never get this ' Jhataka'.
    1 person likes this.