1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea TJet : LED Tail Lights

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Parantap Chatterjee, Aug 25, 2014.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmm..I was very impressed by the moving LED of the direction indicator. May be a similar thing in a different direction or different shape could be done, but thinking how. Which needs a electronics funda ;) @Parantap Chatterjee
  2. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    As a wise man once said .. "Imagination is more important than Knowledge!" :D
    zenwalker and Ravi like this.
  3. jayadev.m4u

jayadev.m4u Amatore

Vijayawada
    Please provide the link of DIY instructions. I love the way you did it. Can I get one too?
  4. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    looks awesome.. just wanted to check up whether there are any warning lights on the MID?
    also, can you please provide a step by step DIY instruction for the same, and the total cost involved..

totally worth it, though!
  5. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    No warning lights because the LED's draw as much current as the bulbs. (except for reverse which is not monitored anyways). Total cost for the LED's themselves is around 8-9K. Other normal electronic components are cheap.

Will post more detailed steps soon :)
    Ravi and DOT like this.
  6. DOT

DOT Timido

Bangalore
    Please do post the detailed steps, should help others.
  7. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Those lights are enough to give us an easy idea what Parantap bro is capable of :-D I salute you sir !!!!!!! Awesome job done. Specially those indicators.
  8. johy

johy Amatore

Siliguri
    Parantap bud. Great work. Glued to the thread, waiting for more pictures and videos. :)
  9. Dilip patel

Dilip patel Amatore

ahmedabad
    pratap
    wel done
    LED placement is perfect,timeing is perfect, you are right LED use less current,i am also electronic field i will try in my linea classic plus, i am searching printable LED FOR MY LINEA
  10. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Thank you for the kind words everyone :).

Posting some more details.

These are the original tail lights :

upload_2014-11-24_6-19-50.png

After cutting out the red lens and removing all the bulbs :

2.jpg

View from above :

upload_2014-11-24_6-27-53.png

You can see the curvature of the housing here. The OEM reflectors are designed for filament bulbs and one needs to be careful about the proper viewing angle when replacing with LED's.

Painted everything black :D . LED's will not require the reflectors anyway , and this also gives a slight smoked look to the lights after everything is put back together :

upload_2014-11-24_6-30-21.png

These are the boards for mounting the LED's. The layouts were created using a free PCB software called Diptrace. The round ones for the red LED's (park/brake etc.) while there are similar rectangular ones at the bottom of the housing for reverse and turn. The square board in the pic is for the inputs and outputs and the voltage regulators

upload_2014-11-24_6-32-25.png

Covered everything with a layer of solder. Helps prevent oxidation of the copper boards and also looks nice and shiny :D :

upload_2014-11-24_6-33-29.png

Painted the component sides black :

upload_2014-11-24_6-34-17.png

Added SMD resistors. Most of the LED's are run in series of 4.

upload_2014-11-24_6-34-58.png

Added LED's :

upload_2014-11-24_6-35-21.png

Reverse of the boards. The green jumpers connect the common grounds/+12V traces appropriately. The perfect board would probably avoid wire jumpers by means of more meticulous routing of the copper traces themselves..

upload_2014-11-24_6-37-50.png

The controller. Has the inputs (from the car's circuit) and the outputs (to the LED's) and the voltage regulators (to ensure constant 12V to the LED's) and heatsinks. Also some capacitors for the regulators:

upload_2014-11-24_6-39-37.png

This is the controller for the turn signals :D. The smaller rectangular chip is a simple 555 timer which splits each blink of the turn signal into multiple short flashes. The number of flashes is controlled by the knob sticking out of the board. These flashes are then sent to the bigger chip which is 4017 decade counter. This chip outputs to the individual LED segments causing them to light up sequentially..

upload_2014-11-24_6-42-33.png

Put all the boards in place. Most of the imperfections here become invisible when the lens is put back :)

upload_2014-11-24_6-43-53.png

Final result

upload_2014-11-24_6-44-23.png

Thats pretty much it ..:)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014