1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea TJet - LED Mods

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Parantap Chatterjee, May 11, 2013.

1. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi ,

Wanted to share some of the mods/addons underway in my TJet - using LED's. Some of it is yet to be started , but here is what I have now :) :

LED Sidemarkers

I think all of us will agree that the Linea has very well-designed headlights and tail lights. Of course , the OEM sidemarkers are pretty much run-of-the-mill and ordinary. So I decided to upgrade them to something a bit more eye-catching. This is what I used :

IMG-20130508-00088.jpg

Got these from EBay. They are meant to serve a dual-purpose of turn signal and running lights and comes with a small control box which achieves that end. I decided to use them just for turns and removed the control box , leaving just the positive and negative wires coming out of the module. You are supposed to splice into the factory turn signal wires to install this , but since I was not comfortablw with that , I got a set connectors from a US website through a friend. These are very convenient any time you want to add/replace anything to the stock sockets and come in a variety of sizes.

Basically , this is just an empty T10 bulb , with connectors in place of the filament. (See the white connector in the photo).

IMG-20130508-00087.jpg

I soldered the connectors to the corresponding wires from the LED module , and heat shrinked the joints. The module used small amber SMD LED's and had a difuser film inside , which I removed. It is attached using double -sided tape.

IMG-20130511-00096.jpg

Done ! Pretty much plug-and-play , made easy by the bulb connectors.

Verdict :

Looks - 8/10. Three different modules are available on EBay. This is the one I liked the most.

Daytime visibility - 4/10. the stock halogen bulb does a better job in daytime. The LED's are probably narrow-angle and get a little washed out in direct sunlight. In any case , since I still have the original front and rear turn signals , this is not too worrying.

Nightime visibility - 8/10. (See action video) :)

LED front/rear dome lights , footwell lights and boot lights

Used 100mA warm white LED's from EBay. Was using Phillips LED's till now , but wanted a warmer light. Hence going the DIY route.

These are basic LED arrays using current-limiting resistors and a voltage regulator. This is what the LED's look like , hooked up to a breadboard for testing :

IMG-20130427-00084.jpg

In reality , they are not as yellow , more like a very pale orange/white kind of colour. This is what the array looks like :

IMG-20130511-00089.jpg

I am currently running them slight de-rated at 70mA , hoping that will increase their longevity a bit. This is what the back of the board looks like :

IMG-20130511-00091.jpg

Using three strings each for each of the front dome lights , and five strings for the rear.

IMG-20130511-00093.jpg IMG-20130511-00095.jpg

Hooked up to the 12V voltage regulator , using a connector similar to the one used for the LED turn signals , but in a 39mm festoon avatar

IMG-20130511-00097.jpg IMG-20130511-00098.jpg

All lit up and meauring current draw of one 9 LED array :

IMG-20130511-00100.jpg

The 9 LED array draws around 270 - 290 mA , far less than the ~800 mA drawn by the stock 10W filament bulbs.

To be continued :)
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Nice diy buddy, will be waiting for the final outcome.
  3. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Some pictures of the front dome lights :

DSC_0004.jpg DSC_0003.JPG

Of course , bright lights only in the domes make the footwells and rear appear super dark. :)

LED sidemarkers :

sara416 and Dilip_dmk like this.
  4. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Update : Completed the front footwell and rear dome lights :)

DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG
    10 people like this.
  5. puneet mehra

puneet mehra Amatore

Awesome stuff bro thanks for sharing with us.

Regards
    Puneet
  6. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Spoiler Brake Light LED Upgrade

Original brake light taken apart :

DSC_0001.JPG

Original 5mm LED's

DSC_0002.JPG

Board I am using

DSC_0004.JPG

LED's laid out

DSC_0008.JPG

Soldered with resistors

DSC_0010.JPG

Testing

DSC_0013.JPG

Comparison of original and new LED's

DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0018.JPG

Installed in car

DSC_0020.JPG

Also included a brake light flasher - quick strobes followed by steady light , 15 second reactivation delay.

10 people like this.
  7. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Awesome dude.

Could you please try to add the same on the break lights? It will definitely change the entire look for sure.
  8. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Well the installation of the flasher module involves cutting of the power wire - the wire from the brake switch goes into the module , and another wire from the module goes to the bulb. I'm really not comfortable cutting the original brake light wire - hence added this to the spoiler lights :)
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Without cutting if you can source the connectors then you can able to try it. Right
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Nice diy..

can you please share some more info on the flasher, model and from where u sourced them and also the leds.