1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea tjet clutch problem

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sachinsu, Aug 20, 2015.

1. sachinsu

sachinsu Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I have a new linea tjet, 5 months old and 8000 kms completed. Recently I took a trip to a hill station (Matheran, near Mumbai) and with 3 people on board and some luggage the car was struggling to climb. I used to own a palio 1.6 gtx before and never had any problem climing the same slopes with even 5 people onboard and luggage. I started smelling clutch burnout and had to leave the car mid way even though i was not riding the clutch badly (lot of other cars also faced same issue).

Has any tjet owner faced torque problem with linea tjet (old, new) on steep climbes. Just want to know if this is a common problem with all tjets or just my car.

Am going to drop the car for inspection with Pandit Pune over the weekend, since the bad smell still continues although its much faded now. If the clutch is really burnt out then any chances it will be fixed in warranty. Anyone has any experience with similar problem?

thanks,
    Sachin
  2. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @sachinsu

FASS will inspect the clutch and check whether it is a manufacturing mistake, normally burnt clutches are not covered but since it has run only 8k and 5 month old, you might have a chance.

general attitude of FASS is that any car which has crossed 50k they are recommending clutch change, since after 50 k the clutch tends to get harder and not smooth as it was new. So unless you feel it is too hard to manage you can change other wise it is fine.

thanks
    limraj likes this.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    @sachinsu your earlier car was a naturally aspirated 1.6 and that a GTX; which is a rocket :)
    Tjet ,too a rocket , but of a different breed, its turbocharged.
    Well, i dont know about your gear changing habits, but a turbocharged car in wrong gear when fully loaded in ghats section will be worse than a M800.

For eg, Tjet on ghats in 3rd gear and rpm around 1.1k to 1.3 will be a dead horse. I myself have eperienced these kind of scenarios during mum-pune travel.

Its nothing wrong with the engine for example quoted above IMHO. Lower the gear and it will fly in no time.

So check accordingly. Hope everything is fine with your Jet and its clutch.

All the best.
    sdp1975 and prabhjot like this.
  4. sachinsu

sachinsu Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Fiat Enthusiast
    thanks all for the feedback, I was in either in 1st or 2nd as needed and don't ride the clutch usually (never ride the clutch no matter what kind of roads but Matheran ghats esp are just too bad and lot of other cars from other makes were also broken down). the smell has faded away a lot now after a week but still not disappeared completely. also the car was not fully loaded (just 3 avg size people + light luggage). it was my first disappointment with tjet if I have to compare with palio. going to pandit tomorrow, just keeping fingers crossed they dont find issues with clutch plate and ask for replacement.

has anyone having experience with clutch replacement within warranty. if yes can you pls share the experience.
  5. Vaibhav Rawat

Vaibhav Rawat Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi @sachinsu
    I also own a new linea tjet, bought in April and have taken it thrice to Himalayas from Ncr. I have also faced this issue of burning pungent smell inside my cabin but only when I drive in heavy traffic where clutch is pressed constantly. It comes very occasionally and disappeares after few minutes. I dont know why it comes and I dont want to take it to FASS coz its really hard to make it reappear again and again. So no point in taking car to FASS. Well as far as strugglig to climb uphill is concerned, I haven't faced it after an adulterated fuel event I faced on my first trip with tjet. After that I have taken it twice and the car has shown no sign of running out of breath on steep uphills with 5 adults and full luggage. One question, how do u run your ACC? Do you switch on intercirculation button or you run it on full ACC? Its better to switch on inter circulation to avoid outside smells.
  6. rvlkiran

rvlkiran Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    @sachinsu and others: Here is my recent experience with Linea T-Jet on hilly terrain:
    - Linea T-Jet Active, purchased Feb 2015. Ran 8000 km before the hill station trip. Route: Bangalore - Mysore - Masinagudi - Kalhatty - Ooty - Coonoor - Avalanche - Kalhatty - Masinagudi - Mysore - Bangalore.
    - I took the Kalhatty route with steep gradient (Many approx. 40-45 degree inclines)
    - On my uphill drive (2 adults, 2 kids) - I never stalled the engine. Drove mostly in 1st gear (near hairpin bends) / 2nd gear / rarely 3rd gear. I was revving the engine high (in the turbo range - 2000/2500 rpm) before each hairpin bend. Below turbo range (1000-1500 rpm), the engine felt quite under-powered. I was constantly feeling a faint burning smell when I roll down the window, but it's not too strong.
    - Our resort was on a former tea estate slope, with a private approach road (single car width), very steep incline/hair pin bend. On Day 1 (with 2 adults, 2 kids), the car climbed OK. On Day 2, I had a friend's family join (4 adults, 2 kids). I was approaching the hairpin bend in 1st gear. I felt the car was very under-powered, it was not pulling at all, I was constantly on the accelerator, but the rpm never increased to reach turbo speed. I stopped the car on the incline, engaged hand-brake, revved hard (up to 3500 rpm), then in a swift motion I had to engage the clutch, release hand-brake, keep revving, turn right & upwards (for the hair-pin), all within 4-5 seconds. The car crossed the hair-pin on half-clutch (I think !!), then I engaged the clutch fully. The car smelled awful (burning rubber). I don't know if it was from the tyres or from the clutch. I don't remember if I had the AC on - Even if it did, it was on blower speed 1 (lowest), always set on 'internal circulation' mode. My driver's side window was rolled down, I can clearly remember.
    - Day 3, most of the drive was on normal inclines (up to 30 degrees) with full load (4 adults, 2 kids, boot quite full). If I was driving in 3rd gear at turbo rpm, then I brake slightly (drop below turbo rpm to around 1200-1500 rpm), and move on - The car feels very under-powered for in-gear acceleration (I keep the accelerator pressed, the car takes easily 5-10 seconds to reach turbo rpm (2000), after which the car is manageable). I always have to down-shift & accelerate to go quickly to turbo range.
    - On my downhill drive (2 adults, 2 kids), I still had faint burning smell when I roll down the windows. I was thinking may be it had to do with the brakes getting too hot.
    - Once I reached the plains, I never felt the car was under-powered / no burning smell.
    - My AC setting is generally "Internal Circulation" on, blower speed 1 or 2, temperature knob set to low or medium depending upon the temperature.

Is the above experience normal ? I'm concerned by lack of pulling power (even in 1st gear) on the uphill section with full load, late acceleration to turbo on uphill slope, and the rubber burning smell.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  7. Vaibhav Rawat

Vaibhav Rawat Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    @rvlkiran I can relate to your issues but I have not had it so bad as mentioned by you. Pungent smell can be felt very occasionally. I haven't faced underpower issue so prominent as you have faced. My car pulled easily on 2nd gear even on steep hair pin bands with full heavy 5 adults. My car is 4000kms old only and we have made three trips from Ghaziabad to Almora. Another one is planned for this weekend.
    On inclines when you brake from 3rd gear, I think you should shift down to second gear in order to pull the car easily. I rarely drive on 1st gear in hills except, ofcourse, when starting from a standstill.
  8. Chandan

Chandan Timido

bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Last week on 10 Oct I had the same issue; burnout smell was coming from the Car. I waited for few minute to cool down the engine and then try to reverse the car, but reverse gear got stuck, I was unable to move my car. Finally I called RSA to tow the Linea to service station around 11 pm in the night.

On Monday I received a call from Fiat Service adviser that clutch plate is burnt completely and it’s due to half clutch driving. When I argued that I am driving properly, he kept repeating the same thing that this is not a manufacturing defect and considering as tear and wear due to wrong driving. I asked him to cover this under warranty but he refused. Even I tried to contact Fiat Customer care also but got the same answer, since clutch plate is burnt and can't be covered under warranty. I bought new Fiat Linea TJet Emotion 6 month back and drove only 3000 km till today in City for office commute. I struggled for three days with Fiat guys but in vein, finally today I paid around Rs 12500/- to fix the issue.

Now I am really worried since it may happen again any time. I am planning to take legal action against Fiat, since in past I had faced issue with gear shift and informed FASS people many time but every time they gave the same answer that since it a new vehicle you may face such issue and will fix in first service. But even after paying a hefty amount of 11.5 lakh again i need to spend 12.5 k within six months. I would like people to share their contact detail who are struggling with same issue and fiat, so that we all can file a case against Fiat together and force fiat to admit this is a manufacturing fault and cover it under the warranty.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  9. NARENDRA JAIN

NARENDRA JAIN Timido

MUMBAI/BANGALORE
    Linea 1.4
    I also faced similar experience. I have Linea of 2010 model. It has done only 10000 kM. On 20th Sept.2015, I got stuck in traffic at 10.30 p.m. in Mumbai. The traffic was crawling and stopping repeatedly. In the process, I had to keep clutch pedal continuously pressed. After about 15 minutes the car got stuck in neutral gear. The gear could not be shifted to first or reverse gear. The entire traffic got stopped because of me. After waiting for about 5 minutes gear shifted to first position, but when traffic stopped after moving a few meters, I had to switch off the engine to stop the car as the gear got stuck again in first position. This cycle repeated almost 5 times and three times the vehicle behind my car hit its rear bumper. Some how I came out of traffic and drove the car home in first gear. The next day I checked the car for problem, to my surprise, there was absolutely no problem in gear shifting. Now, I am afraid the problem could repeat at any time.
    Has anybody had similar experience with Linea? Can anyone explain what might have gone wrong and what is the remedy to make sure that such problem never occur again and I can drive Linea with confidence?
  10. Madhav Dabke

Madhav Dabke Timido

Pune
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I purchased a linea TJet Emotion in August 2015. I have driven it about 8000 Kms in last 5 months, all local no long drives. However, I have been noticing when car is driven B2B for a long time (say 2 hours or so) it creates a problem in shifting gears, RPM shows almost 4000 to even pull car moving, no relation between RPM and speed etc. However, if car is cooled down for 15/20 minutes, it again behave nice. I have taken car to fiat service station, adviser told that clutch assembly, fly wheel etc. needs to changed and will cost about Rs.70000 since it will not be covered under warantee. Is this right? would clutch needs replacement so early? Is it going to cost so high and not covered by standard warantee although it is only 5 months since i purchased it?
    Anub jack likes this.