1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Tjet, Avventura or Ciaz, which one?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by drsantoshms, Sep 8, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You have raised good points and questions in your comparison between T-jet and MJD. :)

Extra expense (not sure if its 4-5 times) but yes it is considerably expensive in T-jet at a later point when clutch expense is to be met with, but still Tjet is cheaper to maintain overall, its only running expenses which you should calculate and think hard depending on your daily average runs in particular. It can also be said that initial cost of buying MJD is higher. Also maintenance wise there are more things that could go wrong with diesel (not that they do in vast majority of cases). Preventive maintenance will ensure keeping both cars in best health and also contribute to low total cost of ownership. I can say with some confidence that its a win-win if you choose either of two.

You are right for MJD the turbo starts kicking after you gradually shift to 3rd and keep revving for more acceleration. This is the gear which you should try to keep the car in at slower speeds. 1st is just to move the vehicle, 2nd to move in crawl mode, slow moving bumper to bumper perhaps also needed to shift to 1st at times, but mostly in 3rd yes. Also trying to keep in overdrive 5th rather than 4th gear and accelerating optimum and maintaining speed will offer good power and FE for most runs. Thanks to the diesel torque distribution of MJD it is a very nice and effortless experience to cruise especially. I think MJD asks for 5th more often and keeping in 4th for too long does not make the engine sound to happy. ;) So down-shifting on 4th only as needed till further revvs build up.

Braking of MJD is excellent and at par with Linea T-jet, perhaps in rarest of rare cases T-jet brakes could perform better due to all four discs, but they are totally sufficient with MJDs even with drums at rear. Further ABS and EBD do a great job too, in top models that is. Even with the older Active or Dynamic models of Linea/Punto the braking is superb, it has always been at par or better than some other car brands of equal distinction. So no worries at all comparing those. Fiat never compromises on essential engineering and safety aspects. It has been great since time of UNO, Palios and Siena too.

And yes tuning (remap) is always an option but you should do it much later when you are thoroughly confident about the MJD health and also when the warranty expires.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 21, 2014 ---
    Perfectly said Subzero.. :)
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    5u3zEr0 and prabhjot like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hence the wink in my post! ;-)

But the point is that it is not so much about what is the original platform dimensions/drivetrain/dashboard/suspension architecture, which is increasingly widely shared among models even of the luxury marques, as it is about proportionate, harmonic design that is true to the character of the brand.

And so: just like the Linea is a beautifully rendered sedan version of a Punto (despite the fact that even as a lover and owner of both the old and new Linea, I have to admit that the car's a bit narrow for its length), so is the Avventura a seductive, sporty, cross-tourer avatar of the Punto.

The point then, again, is: is the Avventura, like the Linea, true to the image and promise of an affordable italian/European car? The answer: YES, every bit as much as the Linea was/is!

Now, if only Fiat finds it commercially viable to offer it with the T-Jet! ;-)
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  3. Saurabh Gharat

Saurabh Gharat Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    How much speed in Km/h does linea Tjet hit at 2500 rpm?
  4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    It will be around 110-120 kmph in top gear as 100 comes at 2100 rpm.
    Saurabh Gharat likes this.
  5. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
  6. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @5u3zEr0
    Technically its not exact ;-) there is a minor difference. Avventura is on the GP platform,Where as Linea is based on the GP platform :p. But both these cars come under compact car or small family car:smuggrin:
  7. Saurabh Gharat

Saurabh Gharat Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    @ which rpm reading does the tjet give max mileage?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Check this link the RPM you could figure out while driving. Must be less than 2000 rpm then.
    Deal in a Week - T-Jet Sunbeam Beige
  9. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    T-jet maintenance is a little expensive. But you get all the fun and smiles every time u drive. I own a 75 hp mjd and I never felt under powered. In fact it never let me down even while overtaking the bigger engines. It's all abt changing the gears. I like changing gears and I njoy the way the mjd in punto is tuned. Even when I met 90 hps on highway, this car stood at par and infact with the tyres changed to 205 - R14, it still has plenty of pick up(nothing changed). I have recently seen a ciaz going fast (@80 kmph), and it was automatically changing lanes and while am horning that fellow is reluctant to give way. The point is - steering in fiat is just a gem. I don't need to correct it to be in one lane every time I push hard. With Ciaz u wont enjoy the diving dynamics at high speeds. As u are also from Hyderabad, this ciaz thing happened in the 100 ft road (meridian school/butta rd).

I don't know who is that guy or magazine talking about turbo lag in linea. I have driven linea for 2 days, and it is exceedingly good. What turbo lag are they talking abt? That is heights of non-sense. What will we get by tuning an already better machine. It all depends on gear shifts buddy. I have touched 175 in my 75 hp punto (@4300 approx.), and have given tough fight to even the likes of jetta, laura etc. On my recent trip to Rajahmundry, I have struggled a little with vento to keep up, but finally got the best from the punto dynamics. This is where I felt that fiat should have given an option for 1.6 mjd. We are two in punto, and then vento 1.6 is just with one. Due to the bigger CC, he have some ease to overtake me (especially at speeds between 110 to 150). Had it been 90 hp, forget abt fight, it would have been a single bout champion.

But Ciaz looked good from the rear. It may suit indian taste, as we like more - slashes, samurais, blades, bends, dents, graphics etc on the cars rather than some pure muscle. But some how I felt it looked very similar to Honda city.

I have driven Avventura, and it has minimal turbo lag. It picks up much earlier. But I didn't check high speed, and would like to do that bcos due to the initial tune up, it may loose on the mid range or top end. But I don't think it will differ much as long as the power delivery is easily usable across different speeds.

Finally - without turbo lag, we can't except to have a turbo kick. And without this kick, I will never drive a diesel. Am enjoying that kick (@2000 rpm) everytime I get go in my punto.

FYI - Am also planning for a t-jet or avventura. Mostly T-jet.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 12, 2014 ---
    Only these parts will vary and be a little expensive: Four discs (vs 2 discs in mjd), clutch set is different(not sure about the flywheel type). But Fiat's clutch will last longer. Now ppl don't mind changing brake pads to stop that extra power. (@ every 15k if u bash ur discs at high speeds). But if u know how to glide and slide and maneuver, they will last longer or simply don't cross 120.

Braking is solid in all fiat puntos and lineas. No difference. T-jet needs 4 discs and so given..
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 12, 2014 ---
    But definitely not 4 to 5 times expensive. Go to butta work shop in jubilee hills - 45, and they will tell u the real story
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 12, 2014, Original Post Date: Dec 12, 2014 ---
    I will watch the test match now which starts in some time and will go to ofc in my punto;):singing:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    punto_emotion and VIJENDRA SINGH like this.