1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Tjet, Avventura or Ciaz, which one?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by drsantoshms, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can go for anyone.
    Don't worry about sabarimala hills, MJD can do much, just need to keep RPM over 2K. You will learn to adjust with RPM, with any car.
    Don't go by these reviews, yes take test drive of all cars, and buy which suits you.
    Do try to take some long drive, so that you get good idea.

Which city are you from (update your profile with city)?
    drsantoshms likes this.
  2. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @Ravi
    Thanx for point to point replies. I will keep all these points in mind before finalizing.
    I am from Hyderabad and as suggested updated my profile.
    Ravi likes this.
  3. acechip

acechip Superiore

I read Linea, Avventura and Ciaz together and:vomit: spit out a pebble of salt in my dessert !! (no offense to the OP please)
    I cannot believe a manufacturer who claims to have reduced weight so substantially (by 20%) in a car that is dimensionally identical to the Linea. Whatever measure they have adopted, it surely, surely has some safety implications. MSIL is not known for advanced auto design that would incorporate extensive use of Aluminium like an Audi or a Jaguar for example.
    Surely they have done this just to boost the mileage.
    I would have believed them if Ciaz were to weigh 1200 kgs, with a more powerful Suzuki engine , on lines of their current international models. But not this.
    BTW SX4 was indeed around 1200 kgs, and , after the Linea, struck me as one of the better built MSIL cars. Heck, even the Dzire that I owned (2008 model) was 1100 kgs!

But going back to the topic, please dont worry about taking your car to Sabarimala etc. If they can take tempos with dozens of pilgrims in it, surely a modern MJD or a TJet can do the job. Rather concentrate on getting the gearshift action right for ghat driving. There will be no trouble whatsoever. Without correct gearshift, even a 140BHP XUV will get into trouble climbing ghats.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The new Linea MJD has cruise control also. For Ciaz frankly you will need to take a call since not many could be able to give you accurate idea about it. The low weight in Ciaz could contribute a lot more to pickup than the MJD fuel map on Ciaz. But you will compromise on safety by some percentage for sure. Low weight Jap. cars go into total loss much easily, for eg. Honda City; cannot count the no. of totaled dolphin Honda City brought to garages for survey across Mumbai.

The Linea and Punto are great on safety and offer better crumple zones.
    prabhjot, mchanna and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Agreed, as an owner, about the t-jet Linea. Just that it is, incidentally, the ORIGINAL 'overgrown Punto' ;-)

The T-jet's mileage is pretty good, driven properly. I think it's a no-brainer if your running is not at least 1500 kms a month, and might be even then. It's a 'head-AND-heart' choice, to use the cliched vocabulary.

BTW, methinks the mjd Linea is pretty good in the pep and vim it has, reports of turbo-lag as an issue are GROSSLY exaggerated by people who are not used to the engine-gearbox comination: a kind of first impressionist error.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

There is a turbolag, to be honest, but my point (which I always stress with my friends/in various fora) is , do people really understand how to drive a turbo-charged vehicle ? Thats lesson number-1.
    When I purchased a Dzire (DDIS~MJD), the SA told me, drive it like you would drive any other car. But then I discovered that that is not fully true!

The Dzire gives you a kick-in-the-seat at 2000rpm, even more so than the T-Jet petrol (perhaps attributed to Fixed geometry turbo on the Dzire). There is a way to be in the right gear combination at any speed. People try to upshift to 4th or 5th at 40kph (like it is mentioned in MSIL car manuals) and that will surely bog the car down, especially with a full load.

People feel that it is perhaps a little unnerving to have a whiny engine note at 40-50 kph in the 3rd or 4th gear (at most),but that would be the typical attribute of a small sized turbocharged engine.
    prabhjot and pratul81 like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot @acechip, the whining of people if you see is probably also due to the fact that in metros people have to brake too often and RPMs drop and more gear shifts are involved..thereby making a smaller turbo smaller engine not so fun to drive (in their mind, the whiners mind I mean) :joyful:
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Agreed that the Linea evolved from the Punto but calling it an overgrown Punto would be crass. The Linea looks perfectly proportioned unlike some other cars which have evolved from hatchbacks, which look ugly and out of shape.
    ramjn likes this.
  9. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    MJD engine in Linea is frugal and just adequate. I also heard the spares of T-JET like clutch plates and flywheel are 4-5 times more than multijet spares. Then in long run TJET may become costly to maintain. Experts, plz confirm whether this spares cost difference is true.
    While driving Multijet Linea just remember 1st and 2nd gears are there only for moving the vehicle. You get power and excitement from the third gear. Further, Multijet engine on Linea can be successfully tuned at a latter date to overcome turbo lag issues and for more adrenaline rush..
    What about all four disc brakes in TJET and rear drums in Multijet? How far it effects the braking ability of diesel linea?
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  10. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't know how much is the price difference between the Tjet and Multijet top variants, but should be around 80,000 to a lakh. Work out how much time it costs you to recover that. Second, the car's come with a three year warranty so you really don't have to worry. My tjet has been very low maintenance in the last fourteen months I have owned it.

The four disc brakes make a huge difference at high speeds but in city traffic speeds it won't make much of a difference to my knowledge.

If you think with your head you will end up with the diesel, the Tjet will always look less convincing.