1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea T-Jet does not start sometimes (Double crank prevention system)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by abhinit90, Dec 25, 2011.

1. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Sometimes it happens that wen I switch the key to the MAR position, I just cannot crank it any further, sometimes then on turning off the key and then trying again it succeeds on the first or second try.

Also if your car stalls, then is it normal for the car key to be turned to off position first and the process started again?

Any ideas on what may be wrong?
  2. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    Thats the way it works - double crank prevention system. Its normal. Enjoy your jet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    First of all congrats on getting the beauty home. Now, are you saying that the car does not start?

This is the double crank prevention system - it is a feature (and not an issue). So do not worry about it
  4. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Yes and No, I mean that I cannot even crank the key, that is I cannot twist the key beyond MAR position(in which you can switch on lights, music system and all). Happens sometimes :|

I don't know what is the problem :|

Also the jet was so quiet once I tried cranking the engine when it was on, got a khurrrrr sound, I read at someplace that T-Jet was protected and no harm should have been done.

@speedjet: thanks for your wishes :)
  5. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Congrats on your jet. :)

I thought Double crank prevention system wont allow to crank again and you need to start all over again. I didn't understand how it allowed to crank when the engine was already running?

R,
    Vishnu
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thats the double prevetion safety system and I too had experienced it once.If nothing helps,we can resort to push start method to start the car like in good old times!!!
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is called the double crank prevention system. You can crank the engine only once. Thus, even if the car stalls after 5 hours of driving, you have to first switch off the car and then crank it again.

I know what's happening here.

The ignition system of a new car is relatively hard and needs more force to rotate the key. When you turn the key to mar position, if you apply a slightly greater force and the key goes even 2-3mm beyond the mar position towards ignition, it will be treated as a crank. Now, you think you have only brought it till MAR position and the key should rotate further but the double crank system won't let you do so. So, if you have rotated the key to mar position and it does not crank further. Just turn it back to off position and try again. It will work.

This had happened to me initially at least 2-3 times.

Another situation that happened to me was that I turned the key to Mar position but the key didn't go till the MAR position fully. I will still 2mm short of it. :p

I wanted to use the windscreen washer system after washing the car to clean the water on windscreen but it didn't work. Wipers didn't work at all. I was worried but then as soon as I touched the key for removing it, I felt a click as it slotted itself into the Mar position. I checked the wiper system and it worked.
  8. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    I don't know what happened there :|
    Oh maybe that's the issue, as I've said, if i turn it off and then try again, it starts normally, thank you for enlightening me ;)

Thank you everyone for the wishes, will start a new thread with my experiences in a short span :p

I just hope I did not jump on the bandwagon a bit soon since it's getting a minor(?) facelift

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Also one more thing, there is a peculiar sound still coming from the centre of the dashboard, like something is being scanned or something a khurrrrrrrr sound, it comes for 5-10 seconds both when the car is switched on to MAR position and also when the car is turned off, I told the dealership during my PDI, but they haven't corrected it, on the delivery day I notified them again, but their answer was that bring it to our service centre, should I ask them to send someone over at my house or something?
  9. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Hey Abhinit, congrats on your purchase! Do start an ownership thread soon.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You are picking up all the normal things of the car. Perhaps you should enjoy the car as well.
    The sound you are talking about can also be elicited by pressing the recirculation button of the car so I believe that this sound comes from the part that opens and close the recirculation of air inside the cabin.

If it's some other thing, maybe some pump, I hope I am corrected soon.

But this is certain that the sound appears because of operation of certain component on switching the car to MAR position.