1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea / Punto MID Issues

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by vipinpradeep, Dec 20, 2014.

1. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

malappuram,kerala
    hai,
    few days before my Linea 1.3 mjd emotion's MID has gone blank,the screen was displaying nothing..rest all things were fine and no warning lights or anything was glowing..the very next day everything went normal and after 3 days again the same problem..
    on Tuesday i gave it at ASS for 45000km/3 yr service and they told that the display has to be replaced and they claimed it in extended warranty..still i didn't received any reply from them.
    They are saying that they didn't get any response for for the claim request they sent..does anybody faced such a problem?? and also does it take these much days to get a response from fiat for an extended warranty claim request.
    your opinions and suggestions will be helpful...
    20141219_104948.jpg
    regards
    Vipin
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Good that Extended warranty is there. Please email SC customer care once again if already send an email. CC to Fiat (Mangesh Kodalkar - email posted already on TFI). Ask them about the delay in procuring and solving the issue.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Recently I had an issue with my MID. it went blank. Well my cluster as a whole failed too. The issue was traced to the Body Control Module (BCM). My ODO read 96K Kms and 5 years I must admit and appreciate that Fiat gave me a good goodwill discount to reduce the damage to my pocket.
    The BCM costs around 16K. As the cluster failed while at the SC , i got them free.The cost of the cluster is 12K. The SM at the SC took good care of me thru the entire 3 weeks time it took to resolve the issue. The BCM had to be code matched with the key code and the mechanical code by FIAT factory. . For two weeks I was driving without tail light, brake light, parking light and turn lights. Only the headlights were working as was one rear boot brake light, and I got to learn how the autorickshaws drive in chennai city without using these lights!!.

Abdul
    Utpal Saikia, nbvcrao, limraj and 3 others like this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Vipul,

I think the extended warranty claim is not from Fiat but from Europa. Once the claim is approved by the Insurance co, Fiat will proceed with the spare replacement which is the MID in your case.

@jumu
    Driving without the necessary lights is dangerous, suggest you not to highlight this as this may encourage wrong driving practice. You were plain lucky during those two weeks I would say.
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  5. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

malappuram,kerala
    hi all.,
    yesterday i called the SA and he told that the surveyor will be visiting next week to inspect the same and he will order for the spare now itself,so that the delay can be avoided.
    the strange thing is when yesterday i started my car the display was working and aftersome time the digits and letters gone some crazy shapes and once i switched off the car and again started,the display was blank again.
    and today it was working properly ..i have drove somewhat 15kms..
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Sounds more like (a) battery trouble OR (b) bad/loose contacts OR (c) bad/dirty/moist (?) sensor, one or another. No?

caveat: calling @asimpleson, since am no expert!

all the best
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Prabhjot, me no expert too..:shy: esp. with the electronics stuff core fundamentals. However, these MIDs have been prone to sudden death. I don't know if the problem is with the LCD panel or the thing that relays signal to it. I just feel there was a way too cheaper solution for this, I mean its a basic LCD after all, not an OLED, which would be the standard display of choice if I were the product manager for Fiat..:smuggrin: i.e. if @ghodlur could be the CEO; OK in an alternate world perhaps..:joyful:
    ghodlur and prabhjot like this.
  8. SAF_RoadWarrior

SAF_RoadWarrior Amatore

USA
    USA
    Linea 1.4
    Hi Vipin,

can you please update the same on this?what is the status on this?I am facing the same problem now.
  9. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

malappuram,kerala
    hai all,
    sorry for the late reply..the surveyor was to visit on 7th January..but for some days the MID was working perfectly.and my car's immobilizer warning light used to glow once i start the car after a long time,say a 4-5 days and it may go if i run for some kms and then restart the engine again..and it may glow again if i stop/start the engine frequently.this used to continue since 1-2 month and the SA told that maybe the battery wont be providing the required volt of current...
    so he insisted to check the battery for issues and in the meantime to run with a spare battery..and to check whether the immobilizer warning light glowing and the MID is working properly.
    otherwise once the surveyor visits and if the MID is working he ll reject the claim..as im out of station planning to do this by next week..
    regards
    Vipin
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Utpal Saikia

Utpal Saikia Timido

Jorhat, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh
    Linea 1.3
    Hello everyone,
    I have been facing the same problem in my Linea MJD Emotion since last month. I am planning to visit SC on 21st Feb. Today I had a talk with SA and I was informed that the whole instrument cluster has to be changed which approximately costs 16K. They opined that replacement under warranty entirely depends upon FIAT.I have no idea on what grounds they can reject a replacement claim considering the worst case scenario. Can anyone please put some light if at all it's required to change the whole cluster?