1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

LINEA Petrol- KiiRUS Tuned- 1st In India

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by ysapre, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

great confidence Peter and Kailash. money back guarantee gives double assurance.

just out of curiosity : what is after remap there is some mechanical failure? say a turbo failure or clutch failure etc. who will bear the expenses?

Remap: what all things are changed on the MJD. i mean which areas are changed/rectified that Magneti Marelli guys havent got it right.
    i am wondering how one of the best ECU manufacturers havent tuned their ECUs to the best.

after remap which all areas are improved in terms of drivability? what rpms will show the differences.
  2. drifter

drifter Regolare

The designers get certain targets when designing any component of the car. All they have to do is fulfill certain requirements. When the practical stage comes the manufacturer goes down the cheapest route, which depend on many factors. An interesting example is the VAG group, where it is that a Skoda factory might build Audis and a Volkswagen factory Seats. This comes about from availability of parts suitable (with a stray factor) and logistics cost.

The turbo fitted to a certain engine is capable of more than what it is intended for because it is cheaper to take a slightly larger one of the shelf than designing one specifically.

The engine is running under many different conditions. You have one of the most extreme countries. Varying fuel quality, mixing fuels from different brands, extreme hight differences, extreme temperature differences, extreme humidity differences, different driving requirements etc.

This applies to many other countries too. Then there is insurance and tax regulations, which vary. For all these regulations the manufacturer has to cater for. We can optimise it because we deal with less constraints in one country.

Additionally the manufacturer has to cater for production tolerances of quite a few parts, which can affect the overall situation quite a bit.

And finally the engineers are not given enough time to go to the extremes of testing.

This is where we come in.

When improving other components like the air intake and or exhaust or do any kind of engine work the re-map needs sorting in a different way.

When done properly no violent increase of peak torque will be the result unless specifically requested by the customer. As the peak torque gives no indication how the rest of the torque graph is, we can safely widen the torque curve as it does not matter where in the rpm range the torque is when it comes to strain.

However. the manufacturer designs all components to take a lot more strain than its intended use, which gives quite some scope.

If the manufacturer finds out that it was re-mapped the owner has to foot the bill. But this is in the least cases as the software changes aren't detectable with the software Fiat has got available. This goes with our maps. I can't vouch for other suppliers.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I agree with what you've said above.
    But i've got a few things at the back of mind. Regarding the MJD Linea.

1. During remap , how much of a increase in boost do you programme in? The block may hold the extra boost , but what about the head in the long run.

2. Agreed that the turbo can provide more boost than what the factory limits it to.
    But what if ( with stock intake plumbing or otherwise ) the turbo's efficiency decreases while providing the extra boost?

3. Do you play around with injection timing in the remap?

4. Any upgrades to the cooling ( oil/coolant) recommended?

5. How does the stock exhaust cope up with the remap.

Looking forward to hear from you.

4. drifter

drifter Regolare

At my first attempt to reply my notebook fell on the floor and I had to replace it. Grrrr

To start with we have to differentiate between n/a, T-Jet and M-Jet.

boost is not the only way to increase power in the M-Jet. Getting the fueling right is evenly important and much more difficult than it might seem. Sometimes it does help getting some fuel out. In most cases we marginally increase peak boost. We try to improve it over a wider rpm range. This gives overall a better acceleration. When adding a AIR bottom end torque increases often dramatically giving a much better pull from tickover (goes for all engines). The more boost the turbo can provide the higher its efficiency.

The turbo will eventually run out of puff. With a good AIR it will be extended and with exhaust, porting and improved cams even further. The quality of inter cooler and pipes between turbo and plenum do their part too. Once reached the limits a turbo upgrade provides more power, but when chosen too big will heavily increase lag. this is where the sequential turbos come in. Unfortunately they are expensive, which is why Fiat has introduced the 1.6 engine for a 120bhp power output and shelved the 120 1.3 sequential turbo M-Jet.

oil doesn't need upgrading for a long way. Cooling system can more than cope on the water side. Inter cooler needs improving from a certain point.

the stock exhaust is nothing to bragg about. It will help to get more power by replacing the back box with a much better flowing one.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

to start with how much gain shall one expect with just the remap.

next how much gain with remap + air

next how much gain with remap + air + free flow exhaust.
  6. kaustubh_vaze

Drifter has already stated the Punto 1.2's performance gains with the AIR - power up by around 8 BHP, torque up by around 20-22 NM.
    I have it fitted on my Palio 1.2 NV and am seeing good results. Please check this video out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MuHcDOLLBo
    Its good to drive the car now, the sluggishness has gone away and car can easily pull in 3rd gear with 3 people on board and A/C on without any hiccups.
    But again we are looking at "I am feeling a performance gain" kind of a thing. Peter has promised to do a 0-100 and 1/4 mile before and after tests which will prove beneficial and if I have the money, I will put it up on the dyno to measure exact gains. Dyno's tests are soooooo costly no?
    Hail Peter!!

Last edited: May 9, 2011