1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

LINEA Petrol- KiiRUS Tuned- 1st In India

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by ysapre, Aug 11, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Na mate , acceleration figures , if obtained on a dyno will be totally erroneous. And performance should not be gauged by it. Only the hp and the torque graphs should be evaluated.

Gurjinder.
  2. kaustubh_vaze

kaustubh_vaze

Pune
    You are correct about the dyno results.
    I am talking about the actual on road acceleration tests and not on the dyno, provided we test under same conditions. That should be something I think.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i beg to differ. one should not test the on road acceleration figures. there are lots of factors which cause variance in this.
    one should test the mods only on dyno- before and after. take 3 runs before and after the mod.
    the results are enough to prove.
  4. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Both the ideas of Dyno as well as acceleration figures matter a lot. With the Dyno figure you get the HP and the Torque and with the acceleration figures we get the 0 to 100 kmph.

Also Italia-Linea I know that the on road acceleration figures there could be lot of factors which can cause variance in this. But when then we have to improvise on what ever we do and we can ensure that lot of factors can be the same or for that matter minimize the difference while working on the acceleration figures. Dyno mods with at least 3 or 4 runs for before and after are quite useful but so are the on road acceleration figures.

Kailash
  5. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    I am doing this business only for over 31 years and can tell that either method of measuring has got their flaws. Getting consistency with dynos is something not as easy to evaluate as one might think.

Acceleration figures can be as precise of an evaluation method as a properly set-up on a dyno. What people forget is that dyno figures give only static values. The improvement on the dyno might turn out different on the road due to either added airflow or starvation.

I do this business as a daily job and will never use just 1method of evaluation. I use 4 different methods! Only one is a dyno evaluation. The other 3 are real time ones.

@ Gurjinder - power graphs are useless for evaluation. Torque graphs are the only graphs that count.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    ya agreed that both methods might have flaws. but for practical methods i think dyno will be any day better than road test performance. road test performance with VBOX etc will give better results but lot of variables right from driver to ambient conditions will have effect on test.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    by the way what are your views about the mumbai dyno. how accurate and efficient is that
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    But hey, powerband= Region between peak torque and peak horsepower on a graph ;). We want it to be as broad as possible. So , a hp curve ( although calculated from the torque curve) is surely helpful.

If we see the powerband as lying between peak torque and redline , we'll surely be mistaken. And you should know why.

And ofcourse, the debate between a dyno tune and a road tune shall never cease.

Gurjinder.
  9. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The land and sea in Mumbai is quite accurate. I rate it higher than the dyno dynamics.
  10. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Torque is the force. HP is only the work load done.

As a professional I would not resort to one measure. As mentioned I do use 4 means of evaluation to draw conclusions of the improvement. However, if I have to chose from either dyno or road test then it will be road test.

In this case I usually run the car around 10 times before and after. This is more than accurate enough when additionally taking the sectors as well as the average.