1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea or Vento?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by chethansgangoor, Aug 2, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    In your post you also mentioned about handling, ride quality etc and the final statement that "if money is the criteria then linea" is misleading. If you have only compared the engine then my brain should have simply accepted it.
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Got a chance to drive a relative's Vento TDI highline for about 2 hours (110 kms) today, from Alleppey towards Trivandrum until we stopped for break fast.
    these are my observations.

Power : Vento is punchier than linea, overtaking others on the road was easier. Turbo becomes active at 1500 rpm (earlier than linea). to keep it in turbo zone and do overtaking, i kept pressing the pedal (and hence slight pain on my right foot).
    Ride : On the stiffer side, more or less similar to linea
    Steering feedback : Less
    Handling : No where near Linea. But not as vogue as a verna. I could not take the corners with the same confidence I get in linea, nor I could precisely point the car in between 2 vehicles etc.
    Engine noise : Definitely Vento is more noisy.
    Gear Shifts : it was not as smooth as linea. I missed slotting it to 5th couple of times. Also, there was some noise when I put it into 4th gear, either from 5th or from 3rd.
    Braking : Felt it does not have the bite as linea. (May also be because it had done 85,000 kms and still running on the 2nd set (ie, 1st change) of brake pad. I did not get the shiver on braking because of worn out brake pad, though).

Summary : I would love to get 1.6 MJD, otherwise no match to Linea.
    2 people like this.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    when i test drove a vento for a friend sometime back:
    1. I felt there was no steering feedback at all. this has a direct impact on the handling.
    2. Clutch was too hard. my puntos, 3.5 years old clutch is softer.
    3. i may be wrong here though but somehow felt the front seats were a bit smaller than my punto's seats.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    +1 Shams. The steering feedback is almost nill. Feels good in crawling speeds or during parking. Seats are smaller too.

Also another thing that I noticed with 4 people on board is the rear pitches a little too much for comfort. It is for surely not as rigid as the Linea.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I felt I got some feedback, better than my other car (wagonR). I do agree that the steering feedback impacts handling.
    I forgot to add one more thing. As there is no foot rest, I was resting my foot on the clutch and the steering wheel was touching my thighs. May be I could have adjusted the steering reach, but left it at the same setting not to disturb the owner's preference. It was manageable though.
  6. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Not comparison , but one thing i would like to point out is whenver you ride any VW group sedan ( vento/rapid ) comparaison point will change drastically as per Vehicle year . When i test drove vento i specifically demanded 2014 vehicle and My friend who has 2011 Vento tdi was with me for test drive. He was shocked at handling diffrence - Clutch , Gear shifts , Suspension feedback. Noise level have changed over the period.
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Did they change it for 2014 models? Do not remember seeing such news.
  8. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    they keep changing , in 2012 model , clutch hose changed then i think engine and geabox mount changes were changed ...

You will not find that in news , You will feel that diffrence in handling . Few owners also felt same when they drove new vento ( from teambhp threads) .

9. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Linea sold in turkey with 1.6 MJD has 290 NM torque @ 1500 rpm and 105 hp @ 4000 rpm (details from fiat turkey website)

I understand torque - more the torque at lower rpm, lesser the turbo lag and quicker acceleration.
    How does hp @ rpm affect driving? Is higher hp at lower rpm better?

Another observation is that most of the engines in India have torque kicking in at higher rpm compared to the same engines sold in other countries.
    For ex. older Linea sold in turkey has 200 NM torque @ 1500 rpm while the same engine in India is tuned for 200 NM @ 2000 rpm (increasing turbo lag).
    Even Punto has max rpm kicking in @ 1500 rpm in other countries (i remember seeing similar differences for other cars as well)

Any specific reason for doing this (may be it increases fuel efficiency?)
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  10. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    power = torque x rpm / const => This is mathematics, but their are other factors affecting acceleration.
    Hope this article helps.
    http://www.performance-car-guide.co.uk/car-tuning/horsepower-and-torque.html