1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea MJD-Loud Noise for a few seconds on a Cold Start

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Akshay4384, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

On a cold start today morning engine was sounding like an Old NA indica for 2-3 seconds,followed by squeaking belt sound,before settling to Normal MJD idle.I am not worried about alternator belt sound,its the loud clatter that got me thinking,and it didnt not last for more than 2-3 seconds.What can be reason?,Do diesel's have hydraulic tappets?,i had a similar noise in my Accent petrol,that used to come up in Winters.
    Engine oil was changed 6K kms ago,and oil level is perfect.Fuel Filter is due for a change.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. Yes MJD has hydrulic tappets
    1 person likes this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yep hydraulic tappets. If you will note closely, there is a minute clatter everytime you start it. To persist for a couple of seconds is not normal but it does happen sometimes - mostly when I start it after it has been parked for days altogether. Just the nature of the beast.

In Jeremy Clarkson style - " Some say.....the Multijet was designed to run 15W40 and doing so results in no hydraulic tappet clatter ever. " But that is just a rumor i heard from someone. ;)

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Sometimes it might be diesel quality too. Happened to me.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

It happens only when car is stationary for more than 24 hours,will observe it tommorow and revert.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

And it started just normally today,no excessive noise nothing.
    Just the usual MJD chatter with Delvac 1 ;)
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Noise vanished on its own,not even a hint now even when left idle for 2+ days.