1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea MJD EMO

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by Santhosh Rao, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Santhosh Rao

Santhosh Rao Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Team,

As per the earlier thread, you have advised me a couple of major points which I need to carry out during the PDI. However, at the time of following the checklist, I additionally noticed that the vehicle's steering was vibrating continuously when the engine was running. Hence, I checked the same in the other car but I could not find the vibration in the steering. Thus, I noted the VIN number and told the SE to order a new vehicle. The Executive told me that the vibration is common in few vehicle so I need not worry abt it. Please let me know if this is a common problem in Linea MJD Emotion?

With regard to the new vehicle order placement, I requested for a latest vehicle. For which the SE told me that they have no idea about the vehicle manufacturing until it reaches the yard. Is that true? or they will be aware of the VIN number at the time of vehicle delivered from the factory?

It would be great if you could assist me with the above query.

Thank you in advance.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    No this is not a known or 'common' problem with any new Linea, whether from 2014 (facelifted) or earlier, to the best of my knowledge. Do you mean when static with the engine on or while driving?

If the latter: check for hugely over-inflated tyres, and proceed by elimination from there. Are you certain you are not interpreting the hydraulic steering 'feel' for 'vibrations'? I've heard that happen to people coming from cars with feel-less e-power-steering systems.

TD the car before accepting it, with a service-centre guy present not just a SA. Else, yeah: go for another piece.
  3. Santhosh Rao

Santhosh Rao Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you prabjot. Yes, The car was static with the engine on. I could literally see the steering was shaking (vibrating). Then I checked with the other vehicle and I did not see the vibration.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Which other car did you check it with. If its another Fiat and the vibrations (small or medium) are not felt, no reason accepting the car. Confirm with another test vehicle once again if in doubt. If so, please contact Fiat (or email Mangesh Kodalkar @ Fiat) to look into the issue and direct further. Also involve dealership's senior most people and sound them about the issue and also do this in writing via email. AFAIK, Fiat does not support this chalega attitude about delivering brand new vehicles. Almost every-time the dealers try to push cars with small issues, thinking they will sort it for the customer FOC during warranty. In many cases they do, but in some very very rare cases, apparently some people never get a satisfactory resolution after so many trials or fixes as is happening in one particular case on the forum. Therefore this caution from the beginning.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. Santhosh Rao

Santhosh Rao Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you asimpleson. The problem is the steering vibrates or rattle when the engine is in idling. I checked with the other vehicle linea MJD dynamic. But I couldn't find the rattle/vibration in that vehicle. I also checked with the test drive vehicle. This steering rattle was not there. So I asked the SE to order for a new one.

Yesterday I received the call from SE saying that my new vehicle has reached the yard. Today I went to do the PDI for the new vehicle. This vehicle is also from the Same batch of mft. Even I noticed the same problem (steering vibration/rattling) persisting in this vehicle too. So I couldn't satisfy me with the vehicle. The yard incharge showed me other vehicle like aventura and punto 90hp (both diesel variant). I could see the rattling in that vehicles too. So I couldn't judge this issue. Immediately I went to the showroom to check the test drive vehicle. But I couldn't see the rattling in the test drive vehicle. So please advice me on this.

Here are few pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi @Santhosh Rao

This is the very first time that I for one have ever heard of such a thing, and that too in several cars, since the Linea and Punto were originally launched. You say the Avventura and the Punto 90 have the same? Were they all built together? VERY difficult to accept. What do the sales and service people say? Strange.

It MAY be that you are mistaking the 'feel' of the hydraulic steering for a 'rattle'? Subjective sense rather than an objective fact? TD the steering on the move: what do you find, in terms of sound, accuracy, weight, feel? Ask a Linea or Punto owner to do the same, what's their sense and evaluation?

CANNOT possibly be a 'rattle' if it's on a new Punto 90, an Avventura AND a new Linea, surely? No-one else who has bought any of these cars lately (myself included) has felt or reported any such, to the best of my knowledge.

Maybe you can request a TFi member in your city to accompany you to the dealer to help you figure this strange thing (you feel) out?

cheers
    mangeshtendulkar and asimpleson like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes not to refute your observation, but as @prabhjot says, rather strange thing that multiple vehicles have this issue. Does it vary while driving. I think you could really ask some TFIan to help you out with this. Would be sad to leave this unchecked and mystery. Please inform which area (don't mention street name) you are from at Chennai. Maybe some TFIan at Chennai could assist.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. Santhosh Rao

Santhosh Rao Timido

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thank u prabjot and asimpleson.

I understand ur point. But I am finding it difficult to asses this issue. Yes definitely I can seek assistance from fellow TF'ian. I am from chennai. The yard is near madipakkam. TF'ian those u stay near madipakkam can assist me with this assessment if they are free and willing to help me out with this issue. Please let me know ur availability and I will speak with the dealer for PDI.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ask them to do wiht the wheel balancing. Normally on new car also you can feel the vibrations but that too above 80Kmph.Give a long drive shot.May be you are spoilt with the other car manufacturer steering feel :) .
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Meanwhile don't clear the car and mention if possible the issue during PDI. As said earlier, email Ramkay and CC Fiat about this issue. Tell them that the TD vehicle is not having these vibrations issues and wait for their reply.