1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea MJD - Buying advice

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sly.cooper, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry, I was in a hurry earlier. Well, making full payment makes the dealer Captain of the ship. Then the deal will be steered as per his wish. Well not every dealership is like that but there have been at least 2 such episodes where buying experience was the worst possible after paying full amount in advance. One was TFI member Bala when he bought Chevy Spark for his friend's mother and other was a member from CarWale forum when he bought Honda City. Besides TATA dealerships ranked at the bottom of buying and pre slaes exeprience of the customers in the JD Power survey.
    Just pay the booking amount, wait for the car to arrive, do a PDI and get the car checked to your satisfaction and make full payment.

P.S.- My own car was scratched inside the dealer workshop 10 minutes before delivery while it was being washed for delivery. It was scratched at 3 places and visited the paint booth for a re paint. Maybe thats why I am asking you to be over cautious while going through this phase. Never take them for granted.
  2. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Fiat has OEM parts available for Door Sil Plate and Reverse Parking sensor (part number etc. listed on the website). Tell your dealer to place the order with Fiat for these; you can even give him the part number from the website. If possible, negotiate and get these free from the dealer.
  3. @PaddleShifter - The SA told me that once I give the booking amount, he will provide me with the VIN number. I will have to make the payment of remaining amount before the bank disbursement. Once all payment is done, my car will be sent for registration. Is this how is it supposed to work?
  4. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    No it does not work like that .... You NEED NOT make any payment to check the VIN. All you need to do is to ask him to show the vehicle for a pre registration PDI... There you have all the details.. You can find the VIN printed beneath the co-drivers seat... Just lift the flap on the floor and you should be able to figure it out. If the vehicle is not available for pre-registration PDI... then you can demand for the details of vehicles in transit. The dealer will have to provide this. Thereby you can ensure that the color you have opted for is also available...

Still not possible, then opt for a minimum booking amount (the least possible, believe it is 10K) and then get all the details. Get a confirmation from the dealer that only after your consent the vehicle should be sent for registration. Just do not play yourself into the dealers hands.
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Bollocks.

I had the VIN numbers and the odometer readings of 4 Linea MJD Emotion Packs on my notepad while surveying.

The dealer is probably playing a fast one. A sort of a soft blackmail ; that do the booking , i'll provide the VIN.

Let him know that you definitely want to buy the car and not just fooling around , and that you need the VIN number to cross check the manufacturing date. This should not be an issue.

This is standard procedure.
    But ensure a good rapport with the dealer. We took delivery before the bank disbursed the finance amount to the dealer.

Gurjinder.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Yes it is. However before making payment have a look of the car in flesh. Do proper PDI with the help of TFI PDI Checklist.

Cheers....:)
  7. Absolutely. NEVER miss a PDI.
    When we were taking the delivery of our T-JET+ there was a family who was annoyed and rather furious as they found out that the car was scratched. That being an auspicious day of Akshay Tritiya, they wanted the delivery and didn't do the PDI. Sometimes it might look embarrassing but then its your money, its your car and you have the right to do the PDI. We had gone with a huge check-list the previous day and did a complete PDI and did find faults which were then rectified by the dealer and very promptly that too. We sat on the table and noted all the points while the sales executive was surprised looking at our preparation as probably we were the first to do such a thorough check :).
    Thus, take some time and do the PDI personally and preferably 2 days before the delivery of the car. That gives the dealer some time to sort out issues and faults, if any.
  8. Yes I have downloaded the PDI checklist and will definitely get it checked. I am a bit doubtful about the < 100 Km reading on odo as the yard is ~30-40 Kms from the dealer's place. The SA told me that there are 3 cars in the stock and I will get one of them (1 from March and 2 from April). The SA also agreed to provide me VIN number. I will be giving my booking amount cheque (50K) today and will ask for VIN on priority.
    I was going thru the PDI list and I have question with "H" being displayed. What does that mean and what is mean by permanently noting the reading?
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    H will confirm that car has not run, what is displayed on ODO. It can be reset only once.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Go ahead. Dont think too much, just follow TFI PDI Checklist & give the booking amout. We are waiting to see your car, pics, your buying experiece, dealer experiece.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.