1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea mjd 30 K service, worn out break pad and disc???

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by Mabams1826, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Good evening friends,
    my Linea Emotion mjd has just completed 30 K, so had taken to Marvel Fiat ,Erode for regular service.No major issues from my side.I was told that the break pad had worn out, so they wanted to change it, I had not felt any poor braking but since it's 30 K and because it's about safety ,I gave my consent to replace it.
    Now the issues is , it seems the discs have also have some wear and hence new break pads are having high friction and hence a lot heat is generated, even the wheels are hot after small test drive.
    Now they have suggested two options, either machine the discs to make it suitable for new pads, or replace with new ones.
    Pad and disc cost close to 7.5 K, and 30 K service is another 6 K.
    Is this normal or do I have problem of quality??? Would be of great help if some tech heads can throw some light on this issue, thanks in advance....
    vtlreja2 likes this.
  2. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    IMO u should had paid attention to mild whistling noise which brakes produce when pads are about to worn out at slow speeds. Secondly u can check visually if the pad has became thin say like 3-4mm is better time to replace pads.

If u had already changed the pads then the technician should have cleaned the disc too. If not then get it cleaned first then see.
    If that doesn't works get it replaced though I have seen many guys getting disc skimmed but should be replaced on a safe side.
    But try cleaning up the disc first IMO
    & give proper time to pads to bed in
  3. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Check your disc personally . Disc can also last more . Mine running 60k kms+ .
  4. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks @vetlreja2 & moksh will post the developments, but regarding whistling noise from the disc, well I didn't hear any....
  5. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Mabams1826 If you dont hear the whistling noise then your brake was 100% fine. And disc cannot go so early if you are using the disc with worn pads then there are chances of disc to go kaput. Disc can be cut maximum 2-3 times called disc cutting.
  6. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Even with hard frequently braking discs should last more than 30k km. Did you inspect the pads and discs manually?

Unless you test the ability of the brakes hard everytime you hit the road, discs should be good enough at 30k km!
  7. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Well thanks a lot for all the suggestions friends, thing is since I couldn't see the pads personally, I let the situation drfit a bit, now as the new pads is creating this heat issue I was not for, skimming the old disc tmainly because,I was not sure how good it will be.
    As vehicle used by my wife daily for her regular commute( even though just 4 km from home to her working place) I went ahead and asked them to replace the disc, will be doing a 200km drive today, so will post the experience with new set.
    Once again thanks to all....
  8. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Well it happened to me quite a few times.

For example, the SA wanted to change the pads but after inspecting I rejected the proposal based on my personal experience. And the same pads lasted for another 15,000 km. They always try to change more things than actually needed. :)
    vtlreja2 likes this.