1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

LINEA MJD 2009 Engine Tech Specs(PS & Torque) different from current model specs

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ramu_dodda, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ramu_dodda

ramu_dodda Amatore

hyderabad
    Hi,

I have Linea 2009 Linea purchased in June 2009. I remember engine specs are below , not sure about torque.

Displacement (cc) 1248
    Max. Power (ps@rpm) 86 @ 4000
    Max. Torque (Nm@rpm) 203 @ 2000( nOt sure)
    No. of Valves 16 16
    Camshaft DOHC DOH

Later Linea MJD models 2010 and 2011 specs shows power 93 PS and torque 209. that means they have tuned the engine to increase the power to 93PS and torque 209NM. when I drive the 2011 linea i feel it has same pickup, may be i dont feel the difference in that smal variation.

can you please clarify my doubt on my CAR, does it has old engine or the same current running version??

Mods , please excuse me if you feel this is not right topic to discuss.

thanks,
    Ram
  2. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Ram, your Linea is a BS3 engine and Linea 2010-2012 is a BS4 engine. BS3 engine was different from BS4 as in foreign countries BS3 is known as JTD engine and BS4 is known as MJD or MJD-II. I am not sure about exact difference in the engine parts, may one of the mods can clarify on this.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Jotinder
    BS-3 engine is also named as multijet not JTD.
    JTD is 1st genration engine which had 3 multi injection per cycle.

MJD is 2nd generation engine which has 5 multi injections.

MJD 3rd generation engine has 7 multi injections per cycle.

@ Ramu
    Power & torque differance is due to differance in tunning.
    As the differance is very small so one can't understand
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  4. Our multi jets have 5 multi injections and this has been confirmed by one of my friends working for FPT India.
  5. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Bhai : what your are trying to tell me is that Fiat has converted a BS3 engine to BS4 compliant engine by just retuning. I am not sure about this and even if this is possible by just retuning. Guys what are your views on this.

Why i am skeptic about this is due to the fact when i was buying my linea both BS3 and BS4 linea were available and their was a difference of around 10k between them. So i dont think Fiat will charge me this money for just retuning of ecu.

Also there was weight difference between BS3 and BS4 cars, Bs4 being lighter than BS3.
  6. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Attaching the price list effective from June 2010, notice the difference of cost.

scan0013.jpg

@Bhai : As Fiat was selling both BS3 and BS4 cars together, if there was just the issue of retuning, then they would have retuned BS3 engine and sold it as BS4 at higher cost. Just food for thought.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am confused. I was of the impression that Fiat engines are tuned for BS4 right from the beginning (From 2009 onwards). Are you guys sure that 2009 Linea/Punto are BS3 tuned?
  8. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    You have official Price list above in my post and it clearly has BS3 and BS4 engine listed in it. Hence there has be a difference in them. And the best part is that there is difference of cost in them, which means that it was not a case of simple retuning of engine.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Jotinder the engines are the same. The price list you attached is made by the dealer Metro Motors and not by Fiat. The dealer was passing some part of discount they were getting on selling BS3 cars that were lying in the stock yard of fiat. All the cars manufactured till March 2010 were BS3 and starting from april they came with Form stating they were BS IV specification which was necessary to register the car in BS IV states.
    With the launch of BS 4 models the weight was reduced and other modifications like modified plastic slave cylinder, better insulation, new design seat height adjuster etc were done. Quality of sun visors and door beading's were improved too. And ARAI approved mileage increased from old 17.7 kmpl to 19.9 kmpl

The specs of 2009 MJD were as follows 87 ps @ 4000 rpm (86 hp) and 203 nm torque @ 2500 rpm
    Drive the 2009 and 2010 cars back to back and you won't feel any difference in the way they drive.
  10. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    I am little confused now, as i was offered July 2010 made BS3 and BS4 car and both car were to be ordered from factory, that means Fiat was manufacturing BS3 and BS4 cars together in July with different parts that you have mentioned above. Why would they be doing it?

Could be possible that engine is same but to make it compliant with BS4 other parts were changed like Exhaust etc. But i have few points that needs to be clarified

a) Ideally if somebody wants to improve emission, they would detune the engine for better combustion of fuel. But in this case the Bhp was improved from 86 to 94 bhp and there was increase in torque. Which is odd if they were using the same engine and want to make the car BS4 compliant.

b) Why list BS3 and BS4 cars together on price list if they are been manufactured in same month. The only thing I could think of is there is some change in Engine or exhaust etc which made difference in the two cars.

c) Also why is not possible to get your engine retuned by Fiat to 94bhp for BS3 cars.