1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Mileage: With AC and Without AC

Discussion in 'Technical' started by vinit, Mar 13, 2015.

1. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Recently done a trip from Mumbai to Pune in my Linea MJD.. My observation is, Linea MJD, with and without AC, are simply two different cars.. The response when AC off is totally different.. The car has excellent pick up, even in lower gears, accelerates much faster, feels very smooth and agile, even with full load... However, the moment the AC is switched on, the response in lower gears (1, 2 and 3) immediately becomes sluggish... Feels like driving a tractor.. :)
    Taurus7 likes this.
  2. oxom

oxom Novizio

Guwahati
    Fiat Enthusiast
    This one would help you.

Linea.png
    --- Double Post Merged, May 12, 2015 ---
    The above figures are with ac on full time
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    To my understanding the acceleration is a major contributor for mileage. I did test mileage with faster and normal acceleration and the reading was about 3 kmpl difference for about 650 kms to and fro to my native from Chennai. One way I was accelerating faster and my mileage was around 20 kmpl however gradual acceleration it was reading about 23 kmpl and I maintained a max speed of about 80 to 90 kmph both test.
    PradeepM likes this.
  4. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    What I observed on a recent trip of 80 Kms (40 Kms each way) from Mumbai to Thane is absolutely weird. While going to Thane, AC was completely switched off, Linea delivered the mileage of 23 KMPL. While coming back AC was completely ON at 24 Degress, the mileage was 15 KMPL. In both cases, route, traffic conditions and travel time were almost same. I am now really wondering the impact of AC on mileage. I can understand a difference of 1 or 2 KMPL but the difference of 8 KMPL is mind boggling..
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Even I used to feel that Punto 90 HP with and without AC are 2 different cars. But after having numerous highway trips I have learnt something. If you are driving with a heavier foot, almost all the times, then the pick up and acceleration figures shouldn't feel different with/without AC. But if you are accustomed with driving with a light foot most of the times and that too without AC, then when you switch the AC after a long time, the pickup becomes a little sluggish. SO from that point of time I am driving my 90 HP with heavier foot all the time i.e at >2000 RPM and I never feel any loss in the pickup with AC in the lower gears. Also, the new ECU update has also complemented my new driving style.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How much old is your car ? check for any loose turbo hoses.8kmpl thats huge number.
    On the other note as @Turbothingy mentioned the driving style also matters a lot.With AC and without AC Punto is like two different cars same happens for 75ps too.Tractor sound,nopes its more suitable to F**d cars with or without AC :D .
    2 or 3 Kmpl should be normal calc.Beyond that something wrong with car.
    For my long drives,when is AC ON then ,for every one hour or half an hour i switch off the AC for 5 mins and again turn it ON when in proper turbo band,just to reduce stress on the engine.Where ever nice open road with greenary,no traffic, AC will be switched off and in ghats mostly switched off.ARAI figures of Kmpl are these with AC or without AC ?
  7. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @vinit . Really I do not think I would have ever driven without AC other than when its raining or the temperature difference in/outside is high just to avoid fogging. I usually travel with family with my kid belted up on her car seat in the rear. I really cannot afford to drive without AC as she would surely suffocate in the rear. So AC keeps on running usually set @ 25 in full auto mode irrespective of climatic conditions. During summers I put it on between 18-20 for few minutes to allow the cabin to cool down and then its again back to 25.
    Only time when the AC is switched off is on ghats so that I have all the power available. With no thrust below 1800 RPMs on Fiats I would not want to risk the car stalling in middle of inclines.

Except the first few weeks till I learnt driving a Fiat around and with inputs from fellow FIATIANs I do not feel any sluggishness driving a Fiat. I drive with a heavy foot and usually beyond 2K RPMs. On highways there have been instances where I drive well beyond 3K RPMs.
    I am so used to it now that I can even drive on pretty steep inclines with AC on and with full load.

And I guess my mileage figures in the last 14 months of ownership confirms this. My average over 21 K kms would be just a little more than 15 KMPL. I have been able to achieve a max of around 21 KMPL driving over substantial distance of more than 500 KMs. I have seen mileage as low as between 10-11 KMPL as well. I have really stopped bothering about mileage and enjoy my Fiats dynamic capability to the fullest. Its only to prove that my Fiat gives good mileage that I sometime control my right foot else its always get set go for me.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @Ganges: My Linea MJD is hardly 7 months old and I am observing this behavior from day 1. Other than this mileage difference there is absolutely no issue in the car.

@nibedk: I am also enjoying the car at the fullest, but the problem is not that. Had the car delivered a mileage of let say 18 KMPL without AC and 16 with AC, its perfectly alright. But the difference of 8 KMPL is baffling me. And this behavior is consistent over a period of time, distance and traffic conditions (both city and highway). I have owned cars of other brands as well but nowhere the difference was so huge.
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @vinit .Well mate I would suggest you do the following test. Take a stretch with substantial distance(say around 200 KMS at least) and test your mileage once with and without AC. Mind you it should not be to and fro. Its should be in same direction. I mean A-B both times. Not A-B and B-A. I have seen this that when I drive on ORR in HYD and HYD-BANG NH7 the FE is not the same in both directions.
    There will always be a difference unless there is no difference in the gradient. I mean both A & B are at the same level. The one which is at a lower level will always have higher mileage when compared to one at higher level. Please try this between Mumbai and Thane and let us know the results. If the difference still remains high then may be your AC unit is sapping more fuel.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Get your car checked and also get the belt condition checked if compressor is putting more load due to jamming or something else the belt would wear prematurely.
    8 kmpl is a lot of difference get it checked at service center.