1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Love Story

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by Linea-Lover, May 11, 2011.

1. arpan

arpan

Mumbai
    Excellent write-up. Loved reading every bit of it !!
  2. Ownership Update:

Last Saturday we hit the highway for a short drive.
    The drive was pretty smooth and the suspension is just amazing. The visibility is through the windshield is brilliant. The seating is nice and comfy. The pedals are a bit small in size. They could've been a bit broader for comfort. The engine is pretty smooth and refined and is not noisy at all.

So next time the car of choice for the highway, its gonna be the OHC. (I know this is Fiat Forum, but I'm being true here)
    Why?? Its the trubo lag. Its killing. I'm not used to that at all. Driving at 80~90 km/h and feel like shooting the speed to 120, in the OHC, just step on the pedal and it just surges ahead. In case of the T-Jet nothing happens for like 10 secs and then it starts moving. Other option is to downshift and then it goes. Its just not possible to keep the car in the turbo zone all the time. My wife says "You want to drive a Fiat, drive it the Italian way a.k.a. the junglee way ".

Now for the serious problem, the tyres.
    The steering again has started vibrating at around 90~100 km/h. We decided to give it a go and see what speeds the needle can touch. We reach 140 km/h and the front end of car starts bouncing, that too on a pretty flat road. I have taken the OHC on that stretch and touched 170 and no problems at all. Its the tyres for sure.

Tip for all potential owners: Change the tyres the day you take delivery of the car.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I'm much amazed to hear that the JET needs a downshift even at 80-90kmph. Seems like they've kept a very tall 5th gear for efficiency purposes. What is the rpm at 80kmph?

+1 to the tires suggestion. NCT 5's are seriously not worth it.

Gurjinder.
  4. The rpm is just under 2k. The turbo kicks in @ 2250, if I'm not wrong.

I know they are not one of the best, but THAT BAD?? Its just ridiculous.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    OHC means what? O Honda City :)
  6. Yupp, the Old Honda City rather, the Legen.. wait for it ..dary Honda City :D
    1 person likes this.
  7. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    I have clocked 3500 KM, for initial 500 KM i was not able to adjust myself to the turbo. Now I cannot drive other cars. I just love the jet.

In no time Jet hits 160+ I do not see any turbo problem.
  8. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    >>purposes. What is the rpm at 80kmph?

If i am correct @ 5th gear and 80 KPH speed the RPM should be around 1300 - 500
  9. I guess. Maybe I'm not used to it and it hasn't been opened up completely as well. With 2000 kms on the ODO, its too early to pass a judgement.
    As far as I remember, it hovers just under 2k rpm @ 80km/h. 1300~1500 is way to low i guess. I'll check once again though.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Linea lover is right. It'll be somewhere near 2000rpm.

The gear ratios of the Linea T Jet and MJD differ only of the first gear, rest are same(If the specs given on a website are correct).

The MJD pulls cleanly from that speed and rpm in 5th gear with the VGT helping things. Maybe the Jet should cruise at 2300+rpms to keep the turbo on the boil. :p

Gurjinder.