1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Love Story

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by Linea-Lover, May 11, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @fiattucine

Brilliant write up. Just brilliant. Gotta confess that this is the first ownership review i've read in entirety and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Waiting to sample more of your incredible writing skills.

This just made my day.

Gurjinder.
  2. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    hows the a.c performing in the scorching ahmdbad heat? tjets have a better a.c i guess. just back from a little drive the outside temperature was 41 degrees. a.c did quite well, but not as chilling as my friends figo.
  3. In plain and simple words, its an excellent car to drive. Loved every second of driving and being driven in it. Luckily we here in Ahmedabad are blessed with brilliant roads and she just glides on them.
    Initially, upto 700 kms we kept our nerves and her revs under check even though the right foot was dying to play and press the "Launch" pedal. Then one day we decided that it wouldn't hurt if we just made the engine also realise what it is capable of and took it to 5k rpm and goodness gracious, the way it gathers speed is intoxicating after 2000 rpm.
    Next day my Facebook status update was "Finally after 10 years I get to drive a car faster than mine and it costs the same ". We have a brilliant stretch of road right next to our home which is exactly 1km long with 3 lanes on either side and silky smooth. Everytime we come back, be it any of our three fabulous possessions, thats where we let it go especially during night time where one can really floor it without worring about anything or anyone. As the engine or any other component of the T-Jet+ didn't fall off, every once or twice we 'clean up' the engine there :cool:.

Planning to take GPS reading for 0~60mph soon :).

Oh, before I forget, the steering wheel would vibrate at 80 kmph and above. I thought it might be an alignment problem. Today I took it for a check and found out, its a defective tyre! Complaint has been booked and inspection of the tyre is scheduled this Saturday.

Meanwhile, I have been busy doing the jugaad for the ICE set-up. The front and rear components from Rainbow are here! More on this in a separate write up on the ICE section, folks.

Accessories Installed
    Sunfilm:
    Global Sapphire GS25 for windows and rear windshield. Total cost: Rs. 19,000.00.
    Why?? 82% heat rejection and in a place like Ahmedabad where 6 months is 40+ degs, a worthwhile investment. Result: its very very effective and highly recommended.

Global Sapphire Greyhound for front windshield. Total Cost: Rs. 7,000.00.
    Heat Rejection: 52% (if i remember correctly). This again is extremely effective.

Both, the sunfilms and the Fiat A/c help in chilling the car in no time even when the ambient air temp. indicated is 43~44 degs.

I hope that my post shall answer your query. A/c is wonderful. Am not comparing it to other cars, as you mentioned that the Figo has better but in this hot weather its performing pretty well.

Some images we took on the delivery day. Not the best, but will take some good ones soon and upload them

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  4. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    amazing pics and amazing story man!!! :) keep going..eagerly awaiting ur next post!!!:)
  5. fiattucine

fiattucine

Ahmedabad
    1. The handling is excellent though not as brilliant as the Palio. The suspension is nicely balanced, not too soft, not too hard. There IS turbo lag upto 2000 rpm and from then on upto 4500, the power surge is incredible. First and second gears are short. Third gear is great and you can do most of the city driving in this gear without having to shift down. Comes in quite handy and results in trouble free driving. The four front and rear disc brakes bite well and provide sure and safe braking. Theres a slight squeal when you brake harder to stop. But I've been told that because the car is new and the brakes need to 'bed' in. Also, I can feel a slight vibration from the clutch when I rest my foot lightly upon it and the steering wheel vibrated at speeds over 80. We took it for a check and it turns out one tyre is defective. It was changed and the vibrations are gone!! :D The question I have is how did Fiat accept defctive tyres from Goodyear? Says a lot about their quality checks, doesnt it?

I had a bit of a problem getting used to the turn indicator and light stalk being on the left side. In the Palio, it was on the right. So in the beginning, this resulted in the wiper being switched on at turns and me going ooops!!

The seats could have been plusher and hugged me more but no probems with thigh support. Enough of that. The storage space leaves much to be desired. I wish there was a lil bit more. Fiat better learn the ergonomics of space utilization. Most of it is useless really, like the back seat pockets. The most one could put in there is a newspaper, rolled up and stuffed in <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_3 alt="http://gearheads.in/images/smilies/tout.gif" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="tout" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ASWAIN\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>No bottle holder. Now for long distance travel, water is a must. I suppose Fiat has provided 500 litres of boot space for all the water bottles you would want but then you would have to stop the car every time you want a sip. Not practical! :thumbs down<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks @Gurjinder and @onlymakarand for the appreciation and encouragement! You bet more will follow :D
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  6. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    @fiattucine, I 100% agree with you regarding storage space. The glass holders provided beneath the hand brake are useless. Absence of bottle holder is also on my top nono.
  7. fiattucine

fiattucine

Ahmedabad
    Ok, now I HAVE to tell you all this: three or four days after we took delivery of the car, I got a call from Tata motors Pune. The usual after-sales contact. he asked me if 1. the car was washed and clean? The answer was NO. 2. was there proper ribbons and ceremony? NO 3. Was there enough fuel in the car, about 5-6 litres? NO 4. were you introduced to the SA who handles Lineas servicing? NO 5. was there any problem with the vehicle? YES 6. did they set them right before delivery? Yes, except one. 7. do you have any probems while driving the car? YES, the steering wheel vibrates after 808. did you get a call from the dealer asking about vehicle performance? NO

That was the boring part. Now here comes the interesting part.

A day AFTER the call from Tata motors, I get another call from Pune. This time it was Fiat India. The lady said this: " Ma'am, we have come to know that you are interested in buying the Tjet+. Thank you for the interest shown in our car. May I ask you when you are planning to buy this car? "

Silence.

I was too stunned to reply. The only thing I could manage to say was "" which car did you say?" She repeated her lines. By then, I had recovered my wits and told her ''Madam, but I already took delivery of the car 4 days ago. Obviously, you are not aware of that, are you?" She dutifully agreed.

Need I say more?? Fiat had better get its A.S.S and csustomer act in shape and FAST. They almost scared this Fiat fan. Actually, not quite. I've been driving a Fiat for the past nine years, remember? I've gotten pretty thick-skinned by now.
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    LOL .That is one statement most FIATians driving the older gen FIATs would agree to. Driving a Palio D for the last 6 years has made me feel somewhat similar.

Gurjinder.

P.S. Those Goodyear NCT 5's arent really the best of tires. My experience with them for the 45,000 or so km's they were on the car was not really the best. Do try an alternative brand whenever the time to change them comes.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There is some serious problem with their timezone. here is my exerience:
    1. I take delivery of my car by 2.00 pm and go home. Around 4.00 pm, I get an SMS:"You car xx-xx-xx-xxxx is ready for delivery after service. Please contact the service advisor"
    2. Two days after delivery, I get a call from FIAT India, Pune. A lady asks for service ratings and how satisfied am I with the quality of service. Same day evening or the next day, I get a call from TATA, which educates me about the call from Pune that can happen in the next few days. the TATA lady would request me to give good rating preferably above 8. At that point if I say the wash wasnt good, she'd say "you can come anytime next week, we ll give you a free wash".

I have had this experience at least twice.
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    whoo thats a lot of money for the sun films. but in the terrible ahm heat it is money well spent. good to know that your tyre problem is resolved. some pore pics are welcome. linea bieng a huge car definitely disappoints on the inside, i think the huge dashboard is the culprit. when u r in the front passenger seats try stretching your legs, it has massive space there which i do not find in any other car.