1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Lighting upgrade - 100w / 80 W

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by GP_Freak, May 22, 2013.

1. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry bro. I don't have it. During the install i got my hands dirty and forgot to take pics. I actually wanted to try the projectors so badly, but i thought let's try the cheaper option first .
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry, unable to edit the old post.

Each head light housing has different heat resistance . Some works flawless for years. Like in my Alto where for 7 years the housing is taking the heat of a Philiphs rally 100/90 W. But lineas one looks delicate.

The precaution which must be taken is to switch on the high beam only when the car is in high way or cruising fast enough so that there is a lot of cold air against the housing.

Never to run with High beams in city traffic. Swtich off even the Low beam when the car is not running. Bulbs are cheaper than housing and housing is a lot lot cheaper than a projector set up.
  3. bmyneni

bmyneni

Hyderabad
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Guys, Its been two years since I upgraded to 100 W for High beam and 80 W for the low beam. I though I should update this thread to let all those who are worried about having this upgrade done. The reflectors have not gone black or Darkened and they are still doing fine. The low beam is doing wonders for the City ride and High beam is very good for the highways. The problem with Linea is the European reflector set up designed to converge both the high beams. Due to this, the spread is less ( which is good for the guys coming in opposite ), but still leaves something to be desired for. So this set up cannot go head to head with a projector, but for 1450 bucks, the value for money Quotient will beat the projector set up hands down.

Issues faced ? The fuse set up which comes in the harness got chalked and sometimes the head light was tripping off from high beam to low beam mode automatically. Removed the fuse and cleaned it and things are back to normal.

No of bulb blows outs in two years - Nil.
    No of fuse blow outs in two years - Nil.

But still, I am planning to replace all the chip fuses proactively as they cost just some cheap damn bucks in change. Need to compare this with a stock Linea of similar vintage to do a test on light out put and Reflector status.( May be during the Next Chennai meet)
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I am not able to source the relay/cutout to upgrade my linea headlights to 100/80. The ones available in the market needs tampering with wiring and i am against that. Please help if someone got it done in near past.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Nope, Its a straight fit. No cutting or splicing of wires are required. Getting the relay is easy( ask for Dual head light relay ), but the wiring kit with H1 and H7 combination was difficult in my case at least.

The only place where you will need cutting is the rubber boot which we remove when changing bulbs( once cut and the wires are inserted, need to use some Anabond to close the gap to avoid dust entry) You can get those rubber boot/cover for 100 bucks if in case you can to return to factory setting.I will try posting some photos for you. The actual issue I faced was in removing the stock bulbs.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Is the rubber boot cover sold separately, if yes, can you please help me with the part numbers. I have the wiring kit, bulbs all ready, but not the covers. Hence the bulb upgrade is long pending.

Replacing the bulbs in Linea is a royal pain :A
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  9. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The SC guys told me long back that its available, but never checked for the part number . But good news is, I had a pair already with me( taken from Scrap headlight;)), don't know where they are lying now. But don't worry, its enough if you make a small hole 5-7 mm dia to insert the corrugated sheath. Since its rubber, even if a new cover is not available, you can patch it up with road side puncture wala. By the way, please ensure to Tape all the Original connectors which gets connected to the bulb so they don't touch anything unnecessary.

The rubber boot is not really an excuse to delay this buddy. With stock bulbs, I was nearly driving blind. What Bulbs do you have in hand now.
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I will also look out in the scrap yard for the rubber covers.

On the other hand, with night breakers coupled with the excellent fog lamps I have not found the lights to be inadequate in 40,000 kms travelled with good part of it being done after sunset.