1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Lighting upgrade - 100w / 80 W

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by GP_Freak, May 22, 2013.

1. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    As you all know the defecit in lighting in linea is a common issue for most driver who drive long distance especially in night, i was no exception.
    Linea was a serious downgrade for me when the lighting part is considered. My alto has 100/90 philips rally and also a Hella 500 as Aux lights.
    So when ever i was switching from alto to Linea for a drive in the night, i felt seriously handicapped.

I knew that electricals are not as simple as others cars in linea and was brooding about the serious lack of lighting. I thought why not the projectos. Hmmm. The usual way.

There came two major issues with a projector set up.

1. Cost
    2. Time and Qualified labour.

Though i was able to manage the dhough for the projector, the next big things was tinkering around it to fix it in my car. Didnt have the time or patience to search around a nice place in Chennai to get the projectors done. So came the wise thought....What i need is enought lighting for night driving. It could be a candle or a bulb So scrapped the projector idea and turned to the traditional way. Bulbs they are.

Next came the next set of confusion. High performance bulbls like Osram or Crystal vision or Just the basic High wattage bulbs.

Started searchig Chennai for H1-H7 wiring kit for the lighting upgrade. From my search, i understood that most of the owners who have upgraded had chosen the high performance non nonsense bulb method. The availability of the H1-H7 wiring kit was so scarce and all major stores were pushing toward Osram or some other bulb with same wattage.:evil:.

Some how by luck i got hold of a Hella wiring kit with ceramic holders for some 600 Bucks. Got a pair of Philips 80 watts bulbs for 250 a per bulb:mad:. Ya you read it right, the 80 watts bulb from Philips was costing more than the 100 watts bullb.

Got the high beams repalced to 100 watts and low beam to 80 watts with the kit and dual relay.

Tada. It took less than an Hour and now enjoying a better lighting. The low beam is a lot lot better than the stock one. Running with this set up for Last six months.

Ps:Typos to be overlooked
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. Pramit

Pramit Amatore

Hyderabad
    When upgrading to a higher wattage bulbs , does any care needs to be taken on the headlight covers ? Why I ask is - more wattage means higher temperatures. Does the headlight fiber covers adapt to the extra heat ?
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ No. It doesn't and you will see fading of the silver and the fiber over time. But it is a trade off.

- with Stock wattage lights - you can't see anything
    - With higher wattage lights your headlights fade over a couple of years but this costs less.
    - With projectors. Everything is perfect but the initial cost involved is high.

If you have the money/time/resources go for the projectors. Else get higher wattage lights and replace the head lamps once in 3 yrs may be. This way'll it'll take atleast 9 yrs for you to reach the cost of the projector setup.

May be you can get a projector installed on the faded headlamp since you don't need the silver lining for a projector to reflect light.

Thats basically the math i did to go ahead and get higher wattage bulbs. But i'd love to get my hands on a projector setup if everything works out well.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Do you have a snap of the relay wiring kit which has h1 and h7 both
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Off late the Ceramic holder kit for the H7 (low beam) and H1 (high beam) set up is available in Bangalore. I forgot the shop name, it is available with one of the authorized Philips brand dealers in JC Road Bangalore with a cost of 750 bucks. By the way, the H7 is available in 80W and H1 in 100W (an overkill in my opinion. A low beam upgrade is more than sufficient.
  6. Pramit

Pramit Amatore

Hyderabad

Thanks , I too would want to upgrade then. I am running on stocks for the past 3 years and never thought much about replacing them. But yeah, I would like to see what difference does it make. I see you are in H'bad .. any pointers as to where to get this job done in Hyderabad ?
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Well, Im from Hyd and we met in July last yr :D.

Coming to the 100/90's. Look for a wiring harness + relay kit (Also called a "Cutout" in local lingo) for H4 bulbs.

I and Nkiran got the Phillips Wiring harness + relay for around Rs 1200 + a pair of Phillips Rally 100/90 bulbs for Rs 400. They also sell the same in other brands like Hella, but watch out for fakes.

The wiring harness will be connected to the Battery directly and the Stock holder will be connected to the wiring harness. Power will be drawn from the Battery directly and Signalling only from the stock wiring. No wire cuts what so ever, it's purely plug and play.

You should be able to find them at pretty much any decent accessories shop. We got them at Minister Road but you can try Xenex if you are around Madhapur.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I've been running around on 90/110 phillips rally from the past 2 yrs and when one bulb reached its end of life i swapped it with 110/130 lamps.
    I've been using this setup for nearly 1 year now and haven't seen any signs of damage anywhere.
    The trick is use it as less as possible. In the city when I come to a signal crossing i usually turn off the lamps .

My view might be the best case but i've seen many guys running around with high power lamps for almost the car's entirety without any problems.
    Dont worry about it just get it done. Should something happen in the worst case get the lamp replaced that's all
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ I suggest you compare the shine of the silver reflector of your car with one that has used stock bulbs all it's life, you'll notice the difference. We thought our's isn't fading too but were blown away when the afore-mentioned comparison was done.
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  10. Pramit

Pramit Amatore

Hyderabad

:D .. hey thanks again and sorry didn't recognize you. I haven't attended any meets since then I guess. I will try with Xenex , its near my work or Pitstop - they are near my home.