1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea idled for a week, would not go beyond 1200rpm for few minutes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by limraj, Jun 9, 2014.

1. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I had kept Linea at my in law's place and it was idle for a week. FIL does not drive big cars now. He settles for a hatch.
    I started the car this Sunday and it started at the first crank, without any issues.
    But, when I took it out on to the road, the car would not gain speed even if I would press the pedal heavily. The rpm was staying at 1200.
    I checked if the hand brake was still applied, but it was not. After a few minutes (2-3 mins may be) I hear the doors lock and it started gaining speed and then it worked just normal.
    Car has done 39,000 kms, runs on the original battery (everything is original, except the tyres).

Did you face this issue? Or is this normal?
  2. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    My TJet is also idle for days at end but haven't faced any problem till now.

Better get it checked.
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Did this happen only once or you continue to face the problem each time? If it happened only once, I'm guessing someone stuck something in the exhaust pipe? The door locks at 20Kmph so i believe you weren't able to go beyond that speed until then.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have seen a video of symptoms similar to this that occur in Akshay4384's Linea. But that car has done 1,00,000Km already and is driven daily. Most likely it was a one off incident with yours in my opinion. How old is the battery (in terms of years and months)?
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have done 1Lakh 5K Kms, everything purely on stock :D not faced any issue as you mentioned,may be your Linea was in sleep mode for one week.
    Do some " Stolen drive " ;)
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I too would like to believe it was an one-off incident. I drove another 250 kms with few starts and stops and I did not face it again.
    Car is June 2012 make ( purchased in Jan 2013). I did not check the battery date (I do not suspect battery, as car cranked fine in first attempt itself)

7. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Both my Punto and Linea were left idle on several occassions when I need to travel abroad for no less than 3 months. No one drives it, but I ask my wife to start the car and let it idle for some time every couple of weeks. I never had an issue what so ever in my Punto.

But 2 weeks ago when I came back to India after a 3 month stint, my Linea showed an Air Bag Failure message on MID for the first 2 times when it was started. It later vanished on its own and I believe the culprit should be the low battery. Apart from that, there were no issues related to the drive or pickup.