1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Horn Switch Pad Issue - Resolved - Now Resurfaced

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Viny, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3

But the problem is horn switch, airbag is not at fault. Why we need to change the whole assembly.

I think they(Fiat) can design it in a way that horn switches can be removed/replaced with out the need to replace airbag.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    May be you should show to one more TASC and confirm their findings/prices.

Though I have not seen similar issues reported, so tough to say poor quality, contacting Fiat, do mention this thread link, should help to explore it further.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Linea poor quality horn switch costs Rs 20,000 :(

I would not do any juggad as there is an airbag involved. Write to Fiat, they should offer a goodwill warranty.

Sent from my Micromax A110 using Tapatalk 2
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I second this opinion.

Don't try anything jugaad for now as Airbag is involved in it.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

Written to FIAT, hopes are not that great.

Risk of deploying the airbag is bigger concern. Secondly, its not that easy to pull out that section of steering. A special two rod push is required to make it pop out.

Ya, i checked the suff and i can say its a fools design. Keeping open live wires are always pron to dangers, like damages, short circuits and other issues.
    A simple pressure switch could have been done the job, but they used 1910's technology of connecting to open wires with copper chips to act as switch. Hopeless design.

Yes i have figured out that i can place a pressure switch as a jugad to over come this hopeless circuit issue. Or else plant and external switch taking a relay from existing connectors.

I hope it survives long term, take care bro..

The issue started same way with me, initially the bottom one failed then the right side followed by left one. Please keep an eye on same.

Its not issue with Horn, its issue with the product quality and design.

My initial guess is that it assembly was made from inferior quality of material. Thus the issue was from the initial days.
    No we didnt brought any liquid near to horn assembly or steering section.
    Problem is not only with switch but also with circuit i guess, its not carrying the required current. If you would look closely only one copper wire got bad while the second one is still doing good without rust. So probably the second wire used for construction was of poor quality.
    Meanwhile the service person tried various sprays to get over the rust and to get it function. It worked on test at times randomly but then again went down :(

Well finding is perfect, have done some good tests to confirm the failure as it meant investing 20,000. Engineer tried to test every other thing that could be cause of failure. But since this has happened in past, so it was more or less confirmed.

Thanks for all you suggestions, kindly keep it pouring, i am sad with current situation, all enthusiasm fails if products fails on quality grounds.
    1 person likes this.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Welcome back, Viny.

Quite sad !! As someone suggested, check with TASC or Mumbai Chor Bazaar. If there is any Linea accidental case, you'll get the required part free or cheap. I got a horn switch component at TASC from an accidental Linea.

Join the party !! My Linea horn stopped working from one side & it was spreading to the other side before I got it repaired. Amit's Punto's horn also faced similar issue. If you notice viny's pic above, there is a metal part in the centre surrounding which you can see a narrow circular groove. There is a ring fitted inside and on the ring there are 3 small copper strips placed at equidistant 120 degrees to each other which works as connector. The place your horn stopped working, the copper strip inside would about to be broken or displaced or weakened. Get it checked.

Oh, and BTW, there are already 4 cars facing/ faced issues with horn component quality!
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  7. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Viny, I suggest you to get Mangesh engaged. If he is not able to help you out, then get Ravi Bhatia engaged and then Enrico if required. Better to get a service request numbers for all the 4 cars and then follow-up.

I am sure Fiat can't simply ignore you guys. My exp says that you will get good service for sure.
    1 person likes this.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    5th one is Punto 90hp 2010 model
    My Punto has gotten mute since a month. I thought horn went Kaput but after some somersaulting on horn pad I could make it beep once. which concludes it wasnt horm but horn switch.
  9. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Why to change the airbag module, when horn is not working .. This is poor engineering !! Did you ask for opinion anywhere else outside?
    In case of accidents, they are charging 35k for changing 1 airbag module, but now, you mentioned that its only 20k.. any spelling mistakes?
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

Linea are rare to find, on top of that having a airbag intact after accident would be further difficult. If things wont work out, i might give it a shot.
    And thanks for explaining further details about the circuit :) It might help many who didnt knew about the same.

I have written to Mangesh, can you share the contact details of Ravi Bhatia and Enrico, just in case if there is no reply from Mangesh or Service team.

I think we need to bring it to notice of FIAT, so that many others who dont have access to online forums and ability to write or connect with FIAT officials dont land up in screwed up zone.

The steering airbag unit product code is 735443606 and priced Rs 20599 and the Boot Lock is 51779676 priced Rs 3067 in totality i see spending arround 25 to 26 thousand Rs on the name of rusted product. :(