1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Horn Switch Pad Issue - Resolved - Now Resurfaced

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Viny, Nov 19, 2012.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I pressed the horn pad on the right hand side when the steering wheel is straight. Once I had turned to one side (curvy hilly roads in western ghats) because of which other side of the horn pad was under right hand. It did not work. Then I realized it is probably rusting/oxidation of the contact points on left side of the pad. Then I made it a point to press the left side also whenever I pressed on the right side. Within a week left side also started working :) It looks like the case of "you lose what you don't use". So use it regularly to keep it in good condition.
    sdp1975 likes this.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @limraj
    After opening combination switch page it shows part no 59117360 as separate part named clock spring.
    limraj likes this.
  3. avijec

avijec Timido

Navi Mumbai
    navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi guys i was also irritated with the same problem. I own grande punto 2009 multijet.
    So keeping things short., after much hesitation and thinking i made my mind to finally get through with this bad horn switch problem. And finally opened up the airbag module and ripped apart horn switch and did a repair with the contacts and now i m again a happy punto owner with all three horn switch working like charm. I did manage to take some pics and can share what i did if it helps fellow fiatians who still have a bad horn issue.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    while engine idling i can clearly hear the vibration noise from horn pad.Seems like horn pad got a slight play due to which making noise and transfering the vibes on the steering wheeling.Recently removed the horn pad for combnation switch repair, firstly thought this mightbe an issue of not fitting back horn pad properly ,later removed the pad and fitted again but the sound and vibes didnt disappear.if i put piece of folded paper in the gap between steering wheel and horn pad, then the noise and vibes disappears.
    Have anyone faced this issue ?
  5. avijec

avijec Timido

Navi Mumbai
    navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Since the horn pad is held by two screws and a plastic cup washer. Which might have got worn out a little. Can u fit in a silicone gel spacer beneth the cup washer. The ones similer used in cd/dvd drive chassis mount. They should remove the vibrations.
    Or just use a thich coat of silicone rtv gel. .
    Maybe it might help
    Ganges likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks @avijec
    Will check with FASS,local garage doesnt have the special kind of tool to remove horn pad,still i will ask them if any jugaad kind of tool will work.
  7. avijec

avijec Timido

Navi Mumbai
    navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can do it at home only no need for any special tool. Trouble is only if u have a emotion pack with airbag. Then just disconnect the battery a good 30-45 min before starting
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 16, 2016 ---
    I guess horn switch and clock spring r two different part. Clock spring carries a long ribbon cable for stearing connections and further connect to the horn swtich(which has connector with spring loaded pad and frame)
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016