1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Headlight lens darkening

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by bnzjon, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Recently i noticed that the outer corner (1/3rd portion of the lens) of the headlamp lens has darkened.
    Today my car is with the TASS and i referred this to the SA.

He claims that it is because of the ageing factor. I checked (along with the SA) all Linea's which came for Service today morning and found that all Linea's had this issue. SA refused to change the lens under warranty/manufacturing defect.

It looks like the lens darkens because of the heat generated by the bulbs. Strange that 6+ month Linea headlamp lens discolours so fast.

Please check your Linea's and report in this forum. Let us collectively report this issue to FIAT for a replacement, if possible.
  2. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Ahh !! That's bad. Any chance of getting and uploading a picture ? That would give a better idea. Also, other members (Punto owners like me) could check with the Linea's that we see around (in parking lots, malls, office etc)
  3. Picture - thats a tough call.
    I tried clicking pictures but the pictures doesnt visibly show the darkened portion.

Will try and upload some images.
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Is it? The Palio ghost is into the Linea too! :A
  5. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Amit, had Fiat done anything to rectify this during the Palio days ?

What was the solution ? Or there wasn't one ? Just live with it ? Did the darkening have a significant effect on night driving ?

Ok : too many questions : I will stop now
  6. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

If no one else faces this problem, then I suspect it might be a batch related issue.... (nothing confirmed yet)

So we need more owners to register the problem to rule in/out that possibility.

A pic showing the "darkening" would help..
    And also the owners who have the darkening, could you also post the manufacturing date of your car.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Haven't noticed in my Linea. But I'll have to check it.
  8. anand3636

anand3636 Amatore

Cochin (KL - 44)
    The problem with Palio is that during monsoon and during servicing water gets into the headlamp unit and this causes the reflector to fade in the long run. No major hindrance for night driving though. Too much water content inside would mean risk of it getting to the bulb holder.
  9. coolboy007

coolboy007 Novizio

New Delhi
    My friend Gautam has the exact same problem with his Linea, instead of pure black, his headlamp glass is turning into a light yellow shade now. We both had our Linea's parked parallel and then noticed this strange phenomenon.

It shouldnt be happening be it heat from glass or anything, mine is still crystal clear as it should be but that yellow tint was clearly visible in his.
  10. I had seen this in all the Linea's parked in the Service centre except for new cars which had come for first service and PDI.

The colour of this darkening is not pure black but a tinge of very light blackish discolouration.

As Coolboy said, its clearly visible when parked alongside another linea. Also, look at the headlight from sideways, you will clearly see the sides of the lens in blackish tint.

This has no impact on the lighting effect as the discolouration is on the sides.