1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea - FIRE or ICE (MJD)?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by donzil_pinto, Jun 24, 2010.

1. donzil_pinto

donzil_pinto

Mumbai
    If you lease aside the cost, which are the other factors that one would consider while deciding between Petrol or Diesel version of Linea?
    Do some of the factors mentioned below differentiate between the two or are they pretty much the same?

Driving Style of the owner
    Ride & Handling
    Availability & Cost of Spares
    Ware & tare
    Cost of Maintenance
    Expertise at service centres
    Cabin noise levels (NVH)
    Driving conditions – City & highway
    Driving conditions - Heavy traffic
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Driving Style of the owner - Slight change required in driving diesel & petrol but it comes automatically
    Ride & Handling - No change
    Availability & Cost of Spares - No difference in Availability. Cost of spares bit higher in Diesel than PetrolWear & tear - Petrol cheaper than Diesel & less frequent
    Cost of Maintenance - Petrol Cheaper than Diesel
    Expertise at service centres - No change
    Cabin noise levels (NVH) - Petrol Quieter (or less noisy) than Diesel
    Driving conditions – City & highway - No Change on Highway. In city, a slight advantage to Diesel due to torque coming in earlier (depends on turbo lag).
    Driving conditions - Heavy traffic - Slight advantage to Diesel due to torque though depends how fast turbo kicks in & whether you'll be able to revv up to those rpm's to keep it in turbo range
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Single largest factor : Your monthly running

If your monthly running is more than 1500 km : Diesel would be the preferred choice.

When you talk about "driving style" : if you like red lining and get a kick out of acceleration bursts : close your eyes and go for the petrol.
  4. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Absolutely agree. Thats an apt description of me :mrgreen: . I just love the Engine Growl at higher rpm's.

donzil - On the other hand, if you love the initial kick due to turbo & torque, then its Diesel all the way.

Drive both & select the one you love to drive :-D
  5. What about Top speed (or attaining near top speeds).
    Isn't it the P that wins over the D here, by a fair margin? As "power" plays a part here, not Torque..
  6. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Dont know about the top speed of Petrol Linea.

On MJD i have achieved 182 max on Mumbai-pune expressway. Got into a race with a honda city ivtec though did nt want to. Unfortunately for me, the MJD refused to move beyond 182 and the IVTEC i think topped at around 190 (he passed me comfortably in the end as the stretch was straight)
  7. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    The top speed on Linea Petrol that I'm aware of till now is 190 kmph (I think its FastLove who did this enroute to Mumbai-Goa trip). I've done 182-183 kmph in my Petrol Linea

On MJD Linea, if I rememberr correctly, the top speed achieved is 185 kmph
  8. donzil_pinto

donzil_pinto

Mumbai
    Thanks a lot guys for your inputs, it helps me a lot.

Unfortunately, I’m the only one among my friends & colleagues who owns a FIAT. Everybody loves it and swear by the build quality, ride & handling, etc but no one wants to buy it. Their justifications are very well discussed in many a forums hence I won’t bring it up here.

If you love it then go for it, that what I say. For me FIAT cars are simply irresistible.
    I would like to quote Vahanpujari, who in one of the forums said something like this “I would like to be a worried man for 20 days in a year, than be sad for the rest 345 for not driving the car you like”

I own a Palio & except for the first year when the service was moved to TATA, I have never faced any issue and quite satisfied with the service.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sentence worth a million. :punch
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Am thoroughly enjoying those (more than) 345 days during my daily drive of 3 hours :-D which brings a grin on my face.

In fact, the grin widens & becomes ear-to-ear when in every Highway-trip / long drive, Rs. 1 Lac gets vasooled :mrgreen: . And thanks to this, I've done so many long drives in last 1 year since Linea came home :-D (2 trips to Goa, almost-3000 kms round-trip to Gujarat, Shirdi trip, numerous trips to Loanvala....)