1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @maheshvpy : Mate while I agree that the 2011 suspension had better ride, but it had better handling as well. Better ride is because it has softer suspension. Handling wise also it is better because of lower GC (by 14mm). In fact pre - 2012 Punto's have had the best compromise between ride and handling in the segment, even now.

Post 2011 Punto has stiffened suspension to counter the increased GC to keep the handling intact, but even though it's still good as ride+handling package, it's handling has been sacrificed to an extent.

So the pre-2011 Punto's only con was it's GC which could kiss the ground.

IMO, to counter the bottom scraping, Fiat's should have just stiffened the suspension and kept the old GC intact . Look at Figo and Swift both have stiffer suspension, their GC is even lower than pre-2011 Punto but still they sold well and people found a way to get used to it. As it is the ride is a little stiff at lower speeds on the post-2011 Punto.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 20, 2015 ---
    If your linea is the new linea, launched in 2014, then you can get the ecu update.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    @Turbothinghy
    I Agree on high speed handling of 2011 suspension due to lower GC. After certain speeds on highway with the 2012 suspension, the develops a feeling like floating. It would have been ideal had Fiat provided the 2012 dampers in 2011 suspension set-up. However I think Fiat went towards attracting the mass with high GC. They even mention it as "Class leading ground clearance" in their Punto / Linea ads. I hope Fiat is reading our forum may correct this in the future as they came with the high GC suspension after listening to its customers in the first place.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Well as far high speed stability is concerned, my Evo 90 hp (with higher GC) is still great, with no feeling of floating as you mentioned. In fact it still inspires a lot of confidence to push her hard at higher speeds, but around the corners, I feel a fair bit of body roll, something at which the pre-2012 Punto's were excellent.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    @Turbothinghy
    Well, that's good mate. I have not driven Punto on highways but my Linea with raised suspension makes me little bit nervous beyond certain speeds (only on short sprints when conditions permit to explore the car for fun). This was the first feedback my brother shared too about my T-Jet who drives a Figo. However for 95% my highway drive it is perfect and rock solid. It is only when some car drivers cut me unreasonably and I decide to give them tough time too, I wish I had a bit more low center of gravity. Btw, I don't encourage high speed / unsafe driving in anyways.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can feel the float in 2011 Punto's as well,my suspects are:-
    1. Air pressure in the tires.
    2. Roads
    And i have seen the float for both the points :D . Punto's weight is too enough to keep the car planted on the road, even with high GC.if pre 2011 suspension is softer, then definitely there should be reduced float on post-2012.Dont know how the thin light weight car behaves on high speed with soft suspension and with video game joy sticks and only driver alone(not fully loaded),scary isnt it.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The scary thing is: next-to-nobody in India gives a chicken-shit about such nuances before buying their car (though most discover a bit of it as they experience their cars, if they care to AND have the interpretive abiltiy and knowledge to).

All most people have, and that too imo almost entirely ONLY in South India+Maharashtra and a couple of big North Indian cities, are the automagazine and auto webzines+tv show "definitions" + evaluations of such nuances, which are also often stated matter-of-factly and carelessly, often with no proof or evidence or explanation in terms of engineering design/trade-offs, etc.

And as we know, those are just as full of distortions, ignorances, lying, mis-reportng and mis-understandings as any (for various reasons, mainly to do with being sold-out to PR firms and advertisers, as well as having juvenile 'amateur' young hacks with no expertise).

Crowd-sourced/over-crowded fora like team-bhp do NOT help matters much, either, IMO, since every manner of the same symptoms are present there too, with the force of numbers-of-the-dominant/majority-crowd operational, with the active patronage of the moderators/owners?

Sigh.
    maheshvpy, Turbothinghy and Ganges like this.
  7. Rahul Grover

Rahul Grover Timido

Faridabad
    Faridabad
    Linea T-Jet
    Woh u sure don't mince words mate, but I agree with u a lot of people are in rat race for buying cars classic eg Honda city (no disrespect to anybody). Anyways a small incident a would like to share , took another TD of Tjet today and during the test ride I couldn't help but notice that the car was smelling of petrol leak I actually thought that the sales guy had accidently spilled petrol in the car, the odour was that strong. Well i didn't confront him at first and neither did he give me an explanation for this. But somehow it was odd and i did ending up asking him and the explanation that followed was even more bizzare. ," sir wo kya he na ki mene abhi petrol dalwaya he,," I couldn't help but laugh at this plausible explanation coming from a senior sales guy from a reputed showroom. Has anyone face something similar in their jet ?????????
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
  9. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Has anyone got the ECU update done on the new facelifted linea at Mumbai ? I am still not getting any affirmative feedback from the Mumbai dealer.
  10. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    I noticed very minute jerk in third gear during the last hill station trip, which required me to use the third gear a lot. It just happens very randomly, but can't reproduce to show at the service station. It looks like will need the ECU update for my Linea. But bit hesitant to change the current tuning, as I find nil turbo lag on my July 2015 Linea. Doesn't want to introduce the turbo lag after the update.

Can someone who got the ECU update recently please confirm whether turbo lag is present after the update was done. I'm really enjoying the drive on my Linea for the last 2400KM in last 40 days. Excellent for long trips on highway and on hilly roads. Not required to apply brakes at every turning like other car in front of me. Really started loving the car, don't know why people who are going for CIAZ and CITY not even considering this beautiful machine.
    Sujit508 likes this.