1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Its been 6 days with the 2011 low GC suspension set-up and I took the car for 150km trip on Bangalore - Krishnagiri 6 lane highway today to test it on decent speeds. I think I can now provide a decent summary.

With the 2012 Suspension:
    Issues I had: Bounciness while going over bumps and uneven roads with the stiff suspension hurting the back, car feeling like floating @ speeds over 140 km / hr (driven only short sprints at this speed for fun), oscillating feel while driving at parking speeds, pain developing on my right hand wrist after driving for long time in conditions needing frequent turns due the extra force required on the steering.
    Things I liked: Firm and Stiff suspension giving tight and sporty feeling in drive, confident while taking curves on highway at good speeds with the car feeling it is on rails all the time, the feel of driving a heavy car and the same time car feeling very eager to move quick and fast, firm steering.

With the 2011 Suspension (What I have now):
    Things I like: Low stance, feeling close to the ground, the car feeling nimble and easy to drive, butter smooth ride with soft suspension being easy on the back on bumps and rough roads. 170 mm GC is good enough and I have had no issues as far as the car scrapping its belly.
    Things I don't like: The steering feels very light after the suspension change, the drive while smooth is not firm and tight. The car with the Michelin tires and lightened steering almost feels spongy to drive compared to last 1 year drive on 2012 suspension. Also while accelerating hard, vibrations are transmitted to steering column.

So far, I have mixed feelings about the 2011 suspension. Essentially with only front and rear shocks changed (the rear spring is merely to reduce the height) the overall changes in the drive is way more than what I expected. I have checked the tire pressure at 3 different places just to be sure and no issue with that.

Net / Net I think the 2012 suspension is far superior one compared to the 2011 w.r.t sporty ride except the drawbacks associated with the increased height. Kudos to Fiat for providing it for merely 12K while upgrading to suspension like this will require one to go to the likes of bilstein, koni etc costing 60-70K for the suspension alone.

It is one for to decide whether 2011 or 2012 suspension is suitable to him / her. What I need though is a 2012 suspension with 170 mm GC which does not exist with Fiat :banghead:.

I'm really not sure at this point whether to continue with 2011 suspension or to switch to 2012 suspension. I'll do some more drive with a 500 km weekend drive coming up next week and I will decide post that.

@Vishi
    Do you still have 2011 Punto? If possible, I would like to get a ride to see how it drives compared to my Linea on 2011 suspension set-up. Also, perhaps I suggest that you can drive my Linea before deciding if you want to change the suspension on yours.

Cheers,
    Mahesh
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Turbothinghy, prabhjot and kunwar.g like this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Just my 5 cents: 2011 suspension is soft as compared to post-2011 ones, so having a harder tyre makes more sense with it. I presume that your Michelin are soft compound tyres which would complement the new GC well. I drive Evo 90 hp and which comes with hard tyres: Apollo Alnac. This combo makes slow speed drives quite bumpy and there is a fair bit of body roll as well around the corners. The pre-2012 setup keeps the car better glued to the roads and the handling around the corners should improve substantially. Also the slow speed drive should be plush. The only con is the low GC, but still it's more than Figo, Swift and Polo. So I think it should be manageable.

Regarding your steering response, so get checked at FASS. Also I feel:

Soft suspension + Soft compound tyres = Soft steering
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Does the new Linea 2015 have illuminated charging socket?
  4. sPangasa

sPangasa Novizio

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    I have the new MJD and it does not have illuminated charging socket.
    linea4me likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy
    Soft suspension + Soft compound tyres = Soft steering :- i hope you meant heavy steering.

Soft suspension/Hard Suspension + Hard compound tyres = Light steering.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ganges

I meant, soft tyre + soft suspension = light steering
    hard tyre + stiff suspension = heavy steering

soft tyre + stiff suspension = perfect weighted steering (in between light and heavy)
    hard tyre + soft suspension = perfect weighted steering (in between light and heavy)

This is my understanding :D
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy

My Experience( :cigar: ) with GT3 and Kenda Komet(Hard tires) :- Very light steering.
    With Bridgestone MY02 and Yoko AVS DB(Soft tires) :- Heavy feel.
    its very hard to get light steering with Soft tires, rather you will experience the body roll.i dont see the suspension playing vital role in the feel of steering,i'm saying the 'feel of steering and not the feedback from steering' :D.if its suspension then reference should be made to steering feedback ? Finally the rubber grip matters on the road for steering feel.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ganges : It does make sense that with softer tyres the grip would be more and so would be the friction, which should make the steering heavy. But, I still feel that suspension does have a role to play. For eg: If we are running on a hard tyre, and the suspension is soft, then the steering should be heavier than, when we are running on a hard tyre and stiff suspension o_O
    Ganges likes this.
  9. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    @Ganges and @Turbothinghy : Some nice discussion going on there.

I do believe that the suspension plays a roll in the steering feedback / feel. With the 2011 suspension I do feel not just the steering but the entire car itself feels lighter to drive compared to the 2012 suspension. Which one is good, I think it is for one to decide.

This is very similar to what I have experienced in the past too with my Honda accord V6 that I had in US for 4 years. Three of my friends owned V4 accords and every time I drove one of them I came out feeling that v4 was very light. Only only mechanical differences v6 had over v4 were 2 more cylinders (thereby slightly increased engine weight) and a stiffer suspension set-up to handle the additional power.

Coming back to my T-Jet, I took the car to FASS yesterday. The SA drove the car, said everything was fine. And his assessment was that since I've driven 20,000 KMs on the stiffer 2012 suspension, it was a matter of getting used to the softer 2011 suspension. I was offered to drive a 2010 Linea MJD with old suspension and felt the drive to be very similar. Also, I had deflated all the tires and re-filled them with Nitrogen. I had to make a job card and was given 4 green valve caps (they are residing inside the car though, as I didn't want to change the black valve caps). I feel the drive is better now (at least I feel so).

In one of TFIAT threads a forum member has quoted this: "Pre-2012 suspension is biased towards ride comfort and 2012 suspension is biased towards handling". I agree to it.

I have started enjoying the benefits of 2011 suspension aka the magic carpet ride though :shame:.

Cheers,
    Mahesh
  10. shanvimal

shanvimal Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi All,

Just a question.. What would be the second service cost for facelift Linea MJD. And my Bro has punto sport also reaching 15k, how much would be the cost??
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 20, 2015 ---
    Another question,

I too had a problem of sudden jerk at 1800rpm. This happens only when i raise the speed while i change the gear.. It happens at 2nd or 3rd gear..

What is in an ECU update?? Would this solve a problem??
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015