1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @maheshvpy
    Did you get the suspension changed? How is the drive now with the old suspension. Please share your thoughts.
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    You may want to write to Fiat India and check which Mumbai dealer can facilitate the ECU update.

Delhi NCR: One of my friends got the ECU update done on his facelifted Linea MJD and has reported better pick up in 1st and 2nd gear and jerk issue in 3rd gear resolved.
    Hope it helps!
    drknaresh likes this.
  3. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes Vishi. I got the suspension changed to the 2011 set-up yesterday. Initial feedback at city speeds:

Plus:
    • The car now feels nimble to drive and doesn't have the heavy feeling of driving a big vehicle, especially while making turns at parking speeds. The steering feels easy and direct
    • I used to feel bit jiggly inside the car due to the raised height which is gone now - this was my biggest complain
    • The vertical pitch/bounce has reduced and the car glides easily over the fly-over joints and small bumps
    • Seating position is low and feel closer to the ground; forward visibility has changed accordingly
    • The cars now looks good and proportionate with low stance
    Minus:
    • I have to now maneuver the car very carefully on the roads with lot of path holes
    • It feels this suspension is bit softer compared the one I had originally (need to drive few more days to affirm this)
    I need to drive few more day and take it for a highway spin to provide detailed feedback. I'll try to add the details over the weekend with final list of parts, pictures of: the parts, the installation, looks of the car before/after the change and the final cost.

Regards,
    Mahesh
  4. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Completed 1000KM on Linea Multijet. Till now very happy with car and the way it is tuned.No turbo lag.

Today suddenly the remote key stops working, had to manually use the key to unlock and lock the doors. After returning home just removed the battery and inserted, it is back to normal again. Should I get the batteries replaced. ( the remote fob has never fell down).
    Also today figured out how to set the user eq on the head unit.

Does the new Linea have led light on the charging port. (cigarette lighter port)?. Wanted to confirm if the bulbs are missing in mine or is it absent. Saw that on a 2013 T-jet.

I noticed the left wiper when returning to the lower portion makes a scrubbing noise and it shivers at the corner of the blade. Is it normal or should i get it checked at the FASS.

Regarding the ECU update the dealer is confirming that they never received an email from Fiat for the ECU update. I tried contacting FIAT customer support, even they said It is only for the fault identified vehicle with jerk issue.
    Saji Babu and prabhjot like this.
  5. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @maheshvpy
    thanks for sharing the details. It gives me more confidence now to go for it :)
    Will be doing it sooner. Will wait for your further updates as well.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please think twice for the below points due to low GC ,before you get this update :-
    1. Becareful on undulation roads even above 80Kmph.
    2. On speed breakers have to be pretty slow,100% underbelly will scrap, if you are fast.Also becarefull with running board this might also get hit,once got hit it makes the car very ugly.Also front bumber might take a blow.Dent removal process.
    3.On highways during night if something got hit under, that might be nightmare for you.
    4. if engine guard gets hit there are chance it comes in contact with engine and again more pain to bear with engine noise.

These are all my experience as i own 1.3Mjd Punto 2011 model.Now running on 205/65/15 tire profile happy with it and overcame all the above mentioned points.
    Vishi likes this.
  7. King CM

King CM Amatore

Bangalore
    @linea4me - Good. Wait for another 1K Km and then experience the real power of it in higher RPMs.

Left Wiper problem seems to be a manufacturing defect, atleast for 2014 models. Not sure about earlier versions. I too have it and have been following it with KHT Fiat to escalate it to FCA. But not sure if there will be a fix. You directly write to FCA or escalate it to your dealer and demand for a fix. More the pressure, FCA might do something on this.

ECU Update- I have done this as many others have as well. Write to FCA directly and get their confirmation. Sometimes dealers might be lazy to take it up with FCA and wait for FCA to initiate it.

Enjoy the ride to the hilt.

- CM
    prabhjot and linea4me like this.
  8. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    I completely agree, especially those running on smaller wheels. I have seen many Lineas and Puntos with bottom of front bumper and running boards scrapped. My T-JET emotion with 205/55R16 with 2011 suspension set-up gives me good enough 170mm ground clearance to try it and anything below, probably I would not have gone for it. With 2012 suspension set-up in last 1 year of driving my car bottom is intact as stock. No scratches or dents on the front bumpers and on running boards so far. You should go for it only if you will still get >= 170mm GC with old suspension.
    Turbothinghy and Ganges like this.
  9. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @Ganges & @maheshvpy

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I have been pampered by my Punto 2011 90hp for 3.5 years with old suspension that I am seriously missing the same magic ride now in my linea. Every time I go on highways its bouncy and the passengers are tossed up. Hence wanted to change it to the old suspension to retain the ride
    Yes mine is 205/55/R16 and hence the GC will be 170mm. Hopefully I can tackle the roads well compared to my Punto which was 165mm
    Ganges likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Vishi

My dad had gotten the gc 'up'grade done on his 2009 Linea 1.4 Emotion. The low speed ride was, i wouldn't say bouncy, but certainly stiff-feeling, at higher speeds it was fine. I had scolded him for getting the thing done, since he'd gone for a service....and made the decision to on a whim. But he felt happy with the carefree-ness that results as far as potholes and speedbreakers go, of which there are plenty on some Gurgaon roads. I guess at his 70+ age he could care less for the greater niceties of ride+handling.

My own new, facelifted t-jet Linea though, bought at launch in early 2014 has the suspension tuning down beautifully, relative to the gc upgrade kit for the older Linea-s. 'Makhan'-like, supple and silent, and yet with the handling almost entirely intact, even at slower speeds, even unladen.

What tyres do you have on it? Perhaps stcking with the higher gc suspension components but switching to say michelins would be a better tradeoff for you, since the higher gc really is a huge boon, overall, arguably, one feels?

cheers
    Amit Rox and Ganges like this.